Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dumb question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgiroux67
My car has been sitting in the garage for a year and has leaked alot of fluid/oil frp, tje transmission. The oil is coming from where the linkage attaches. So how do I change the fluid in it? How do I seal it up?
Allan
Drain the transmission, replace the shift arm seal (pretty easy, I just did it and it only took about 15 minutes) and refill.
jgiroux67
Where do you drain and where do you refill?
Allan
On the passenger side of the tranny right behind the CV joint are 2 big 17mm plugs. The one the top is fill and the bottom one is drain. Be sure to remove the top one first.
jgiroux67
Thanks!
Your talking about a side shift right?
Allan
Yep.
Dave_Darling
Same drain and fill procedures for both.

Use transmission oil (gear oil), the nasty sulfur-smelling stuff. I use Swepco, it was very specifically recommended to me by a local mechanic. Others have their own favorites. 75/90 weight is a pretty decent one to use, though the book calls for straight 90-weight.

Auto trans fluid is very definitely the wrong stuff, even though some modern manual transmissions do use it.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.