Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repaint my top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I tried to do a search to see if this had been discussed, but I couldn't find anything.

Repainting the top:

My top needs to be repainted, and I was wondering what is the proper color. I want to shoot this with my paint gun, but is the top supposed to be flat black, as in no shine? Where they ever painted originally, was the fberglass gel just black, like the underside?

My top has some blemishes in the foberglas that I had to fix, so it does need to be repainted.

tat2dphreak
I believe the top has a texture, mine does anyway... (plan to smooth out and paint body color) someone here or on the bird board used some spray texture paint for the sail panels(instead of the vinyl) and I think the texture would be very similar... I think it's like a semi-gloss...
TheCabinetmaker
go to the local auto paint store and have them mix you some 30% gloss (satin finish) black single stage paint. They can mix the hardener in for you. Make sure you clean the top very well first. We use it for tops, valances, and engine tin. My tin still looks great after 2 years.
thomasotten
Someone on the autobody101 forum was telling me about a "flattening" agent to use in the clear layer of base-coat clear-coat. Has anyone ever heard of this?
mihai914
Yes, for example Sikkens calls it Clear Mat, mix it 50/50 with THEIR normal clear and you get semi-gloss. You should be able to find the proper info on the big automotive finishes manufacturers.

As for the top coating, I used a product from SEM called flexible bumper coater, doesn't need a reducer or hardener, you can dilute it with thinner, comes in a 1 pint can and the finish is close to trim paint. It's more flat than glossy. I know someone who used truck bedliner in a spray can and the results were very good, the texture is finer than the stock one.
thomasotten
Here are some progress pics....

I spent a lot of time reproducing the texture in several areas that were cracked or deeply scratched. I used bondo and putty.

thomasotten
After applying sealer to the entire top, then fixing more blemishes, I coated it with black base coat in my garage.
thomasotten
Next, I coated it with this stuff. Semi-Gloss clear coat.
thomasotten
This is a photo of it with the clear still wet. As I was looking at it, I was hoping that the gloss would die down a little. It did, see next pic...
thomasotten
Ok, this is the sheen it has after about 4 hours of drying. I was really looking for something a little duller. But what do you think, guys?
thomasotten
Resting on the car...
thomasotten
another...
thomasotten
Well, what do you think? I'll let the club decide. Is it too shiny? I was really going for a lower shine, much more like the original, but this doesn't look bad. Should I redo it, or call it good and move on to something else? Or maybe there is a way to knock down the shine somewhat. Any opionions, or up or down votes would be appreciated. Thanks.
mihai914
If it were completely smooth you could of broken the shine with some 1500 grit sand paper. I don't see the problem with having a shine, after all this work, might as well stick with it for a while and see how it holds up.

You could try to scuff it up with one of those 3M grey or red pads (like the green ones you buy for home) it's the only thing that I think that can make it between the bumps but it's risky, you can go through the clear. I wouldn't touch it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.