Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery rellocation photos anyone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
Just looking for photos of front trunk battery mount solutions. My engine tray has gone with the wind, and it's time to move the battery up front but would like to see what people have done before making my own box.

Thanks!

Randy Wentzel
Aaron Cox
whats wrong with fixing it and using an optima??

lot of BIG wire needed when moving the battery....

long lines = voltage drop correct?
ben1440
what would you do without me randy? blink.gif

http://www.talking-dog.com/914/30.html
RoadGlue
Thanks Ben, but that's not what I had in mind. smile.gif I'll be ditching the spare, and would like to mount the battery on the floor, as low as possible. Aaron, yes, big wire is needed, but I'll sacrafice a little extra weight to get the battery out of the engine compartment.

Thanks again!

Randy
airsix
Randy,
Take a look in my blog. Optima on side, fits under carpet board. Stealth. Drives tech crazy. They always say "We give up. Where's the battery?" biggrin.gif Use welding/locomotive cable - get it from a welding shop. Works great. No noticeable voltage drop with that big cable.

-Ben M.
JoeSharp
I had to move the battery when the tray colasped, sheetmetal screws don't work well in fiberglass.
biggrin.gif Joe
TravisNeff
Ben Messinger (airsix) mounted his to the front trunk floor in about the same location, but directly to the floor. He made a mount with angle stock.
RoadGlue
QUOTE (airsix @ Apr 6 2005, 10:37 AM)
Randy,
Take a look in my blog. Optima on side, fits under carpet board. Stealth. Drives tech crazy. They always say "We give up. Where's the battery?" :D Use welding/locomotive cable - get it from a welding shop. Works great. No noticeable voltage drop with that big cable.

-Ben M.

Thanks Ben! I'll take a look.
Cap'n Krusty
I know a guy who put a 4-5 inch deep box in the rear trunk, right up against the firewall. Looks great, works like a charm, and utilizes almost no extra cable. Sorry, no pix. The Cap'n
J P Stein
http://www.portablepower.com/items/batteri.../SL105/37L105S5

You can put this puppy bout where ever you want.
I was gonna move mine from the rear trunk to the front.
With a 25 lb lighter battery, it's not worth the hasssle.
Rand
Check out Brant's. He's using a battery like JP's. Now if it would only fit under the seat you could hide it even better then Ben's!

user posted image
RoadGlue
QUOTE (RandyLok @ Apr 6 2005, 12:48 PM)
Check out Brant's. He's using a battery like JP's and has it hidden better then Ben's (once the seat is in)...

Looks great! However I already have an Optima Redtop, and won't be able to fit it under the seat until I run over it with my pop's D4 Cat. smile.gif

I'm really quite set on putting it in the front truck, though I appreciate all the other ideas.

Best,

Randy
jr91472
here is mine....
Kerrys914
I hate looking at Brant's car icon8.gif barf.gif it is so ugly all of that new smooth shiny paint and don't even get me going about the well thought out electrical and mechanical things.. barf.gif

wink.gif aktion035.gif
jr91472
not all that pretty, but it works. The spare will only fit if I let some of the air out of the tire screwy.gif . Thus the 12v air compressor.

Honestly, I would avoid this. I have had it like this for several years, but look forward to moving it back to the engine compartment. Next time the engine is out...... sawzall-smiley.gif I am going with an optima and a new battery tray. I want my pax heat exchanger back.

good luck.
ejm
Here's my setup...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.