Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Rear Wheel Hub
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ehick72
One of the threads on my hub is stripped and needs tapped or sleeved. So instead of rolling around with 3 lugs on my wheel instead of 4 I decided to fix it myself.

After battling the rear disk brake caliper so that I wouldn't have to disconnect the Brake fluid in order to remove the disk, all I have left is this castellated nut to remove. I have never had such a hard time removing a nut before. That thing will not budge!! I used an air impact, the entire weight of my body jumping on a rachet (which takes a lot of gymnastics to balace that manuvor), and a 3 foot steal pipe. Nothing works and I bent a tire iron in the process.

Anybody got some suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

I am so close but yet so far!!

Aaron Cox
did ya take the cotter pin out? smile.gif

i used a 300 ft/lb air ratchet....
ehick72
Actually the pin is gone. With as tight as it is they probably didn't bother putting it back in. My rachet was 230. But there is nothing else holding it on right?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ehick72 @ Apr 6 2005, 10:58 AM)
Actually the pin is gone. With as tight as it is they probably didn't bother putting it back in. My rachet was 230. But there is nothing else holding it on right?

turning the right way?

get a bigger impact wrench....

you have oiled/used penetrating oil on it right?
ehick72
I have not used penetrating oil. I also may have had my rachet set wrong. I will go back to the air rachet. As long as I know someone has done this before me. What is a good penetrating oil to use??
Aaron Cox
aero kroil, pb blater.... some say wd 40....
spare time toys
I just did mine. I bent my first cheater bar. Then I got a 1/4 inch wall tube about 4 feet long and use a 3/4 drive bar and it was still a good tug to get it to come off.
ehick72
Thanks guys.

I have a new found confidence!! I that sucka is coming OFF!!

TheCabinetmaker
I've got three impacts and only one of them will loosen that nut. I sometimes have use a 5' cheater and jump on it with my 160 lbs.
Steve Thacker
PB Blaster.....
The only thing less than a cutting torch that will loosen up a stuborn bolt
736conver
Sometimes I have to leave the impact on there for awhile.
One time when I was doing it the impact gun was a little off and not fully engaging in reverse. So make sure your switch or lever is fully engaged.
Demick
I hate to tell you this, but most of the time - getting the big nut off is the easy part.

Getting the stub axle out of the hub is the hard part.

Search the archives for info and tips.

Demick
spare time toys
Find some sort of wedges and place them between the hub and flange and pound the liv'n crap outa them and it will come out. biggrin.gif
guywan914
took two Craftsman Breaker bars[thank god they replace them, however I don't think the new one will last as long] and a six foot piece of pipe.[Bent the pipe too] Thank god hey finally moved.
ehick72
OK. After bending yet another bar and almost pulling the entire car off the jack stand, I got it off with a 5ft pipe from the Home Depot last night. I think I scared my neighbors. Now I can't figure out how to get the hub out. Do I need to remove the transaxle arm? I was hoping not to do that. I was hoping in could just hammer the arm through from the front of the hub and pull the hub out.

Eric
Joe Ricard
smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif beer3.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif smash.gif smash.gif beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Put the nut back on almost all the way before you start pounding the stub axle out. Also... those who know me know my favorite tool is the MAPP torch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.