Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Axles and CV Joints
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
North Coast Jim
After much time and expense I've thrown in the towel on rebuilding these high mileage units. Started with 4 axles and got it down to two what I thought serviceable units, actually they were what was left after inspecting the others. Trying today to assemble them has not produced anything except frustration. Watched Van Swenson U Tube posting on the subject and thought it possible. CV's cleaned and rebuilt properly and assembled on the axle. No amount of effort along with a large amount of foul language will get the C clip to stay within the groove. Arghhhhh !!!!! Tried it on two CV's with different components and the same result. Given up. So...................are there suppliers of finished 914 Axles with CJ Joints out there ??
malcolm2
Yes, several have done much R&D. I bought 2 CV joints from Tangerine Racing. There is another.... but the name escapes me.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
Complete Oem axles are once again available from Porsche. Part # is 914.332.009.03. They are about $250 ea from Sunset Porsche in Oregon.

Andrew
Amphicar770
Ordered mine from the Porsche dealer. Brand new and relatively inexpensive.
theleschyouknow
I thought I read somewhere (probably on this board) that the OEMs from a dealer (914-xxxx-xxxx-03 to replace 914-xxxx-xxx-01 and -02) use type one CVs, which, I think, does not have a machined lip/step to accommodate the gasket. I think tangerine mills this step into type 1 CVs, do those from the dealer have the same step?

beerchug.gif
cjl
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You @ Jun 13 2016, 03:01 PM) *

Complete Oem axles are once again available from Porsche. Part # is 914.332.009.03. They are about $250 ea from Sunset Porsche in Oregon.

Andrew

a
Interesting input. Called my local Porsche dealer and got a price of $347 each. At least I now know there is an alternative, although expensive option path. I can have them in three days if I choose. Maybe I'll shop these around to the different dealers.
iankarr
I got mine from Jim Ellis Porsche. $280 ea.

http://www.porscheatlantaperimeterparts.co...1433200903.html

And an unboxing vid...

http://youtu.be/3DGaHp-OAKo
mepstein
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Jun 13 2016, 06:57 PM) *

I thought I read somewhere (probably on this board) that the OEMs from a dealer (914-xxxx-xxxx-03 to replace 914-xxxx-xxx-01 and -02) use type one CVs, which, I think, does not have a machined lip/step to accommodate the gasket. I think tangerine mills this step into type 1 CVs, do those from the dealer have the same step?

beerchug.gif
cjl

Is that a fact or a guess?
Mueller
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jun 13 2016, 08:00 PM) *

I got mine from Jim Ellis Porsche. $280 ea.

http://www.porscheatlantaperimeterparts.co...1433200903.html

And an unboxing vid...

http://youtu.be/3DGaHp-OAKo

Gave you a thumbs up!

I'd have to say these are made correctly from the start and not reworked VW spec parts based on the coloring of the CVs and the feature in question. (I have a hard time thinking they would disassemble, machine, send out for black oxide and then reassemble them at that low of a price.
I know all about the machining of the type 1 since I did a few batches of Meyle CV's for a vendor here until he went with better parts and a more local source. (I still have the fixtures and 10mm drill I bought just for those smile.gif

That being said I could be wrong smile.gif
iankarr
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 13 2016, 11:22 PM) *

beerchug.gif
cjl

The step is machined in on the new axles from Porsche. Check my unboxing vid and you'll see it when the cover comes off.
Mueller
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jun 13 2016, 09:09 PM) *

beerchug.gif
cjl

The step is machined in on the new axles from Porsche. Check my unboxing vid and you'll see it when the cover comes off.

No, he is questioning did they take an off the shelf CV joint and modify it?

I say no, they gave the manufacture an engineering drawing with all the features to be made from scratch.
Geezer914
PMB Performance.
JoeD
I bought an OEM set from Jim Ellis in March. $280 per axle plus shipping and tax. Also got the correct schnorr washers and set of new CV bolts from them. They came greased and ready to go. Installed them last weekend; I can confirm that they are machined for the gasket, and they bolted right up.

Funny note- as I live in Atlanta, I happened to be in Jim Ellis recently to pick something up for the 911. Had a chance to chat with the parts manager there, who is a really good guy. He remembered my 914 axles coming through and expressed his surprised when he saw them... he was surprised himself that the parts were available again.
stugray
This place advertises $200 for each axle:

http://dcautocatalog.com/illustration/index/816066831

914.332.009.03 $200.00
Drive shaft complete, cleaned and inspected (2 recommended)
In stock

And the gaskets and new roll pins are right below
mepstein
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 14 2016, 03:11 PM) *

This place advertises $200 for each axle:

http://dcautocatalog.com/illustration/index/816066831

914.332.009.03 $200.00
Drive shaft complete, cleaned and inspected (2 recommended)
In stock

And the gaskets and new roll pins are right below

That's his used part catalog.
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jun 13 2016, 11:09 PM) *

beerchug.gif
cjl

Mark-neither, just a question. I'm not knowledgable enough to state many things as fact
the bit about -03 to replace -01 and -02 came from a P dealer website- suncoast maybe?

Cuddy-thanks for posting the vid

doing a little more reading it is my understanding type 1's max angle of deflection (don't know if that's the right term almost positive it's not - there's that not enough knowledge again) is 17 degrees while the originals -type ?'s (see above) allow for 22 degrees. something about different size balls and cages
can anyone comment on the 'angle of deflection' of the new units from Porsche?

beerchug.gif
cjl
Eric_Shea
Angle is proper if you use GKN/Loebro. All of the aftermarkets I've seen do not have the proper angle and, it "will" bite you in the @$$.

We're working on a new solution for the GKN/Loebro CV's which are 6-bolt. Should be pretty trick. Stay tuned.
North Coast Jim
Bought a set of the newly released Porsche 91433200903 axles yesterday from Porsche North Olmsted (Ohio) for $300 each inclusive of shipping. Should have in a week max. Will keep you posted. Excellent peace of mind as the ancient axles I have are/were a concern.
Darren C
Just bought a pair of rear axles complete with all parts from Porsche Main dealer here in UK. They were cheaper than all aftermarket suppliers I could find including some of your US ones previously mentioned (even without import taxes and shipping)

They are the correct fit, have the recess for gaskets and come with new roll pins which are real tight so give confidence on security when fitting.

OEM was the best way I found for price and quality

I also changed the bolt anti vibration washer/plates for peace of mind.

Best bit is they have nice glossy white Porsche "Genuine Porsche Part Quality" stickers around the shiny new shafts ;-)

IPB Image

Just like cuddyk's :-)

The reason Porsche main dealers can do them so cheap I found out when talking directly to the guys in Stuttgart who operate the Classic department when I visited them. They admitted Porsche hadn't reviewed the pricing structure for 914 parts in 20 years as it was low priority and low sales. Therefore any parts 914 specific are at 1996 prices, so go grab a deal at your main dealership while it lasts.
I spent a good hour talking with the classic guy's and Porsche are really waking up to supporting older models. There's lots going on to re introduce 356 parts back to main dealers shelves as we speak and the 914 should eventually follow. But its all about supply and demand, if we as owners don't walk through the main dealer door to ask or buy parts it ain't going to happen. This is a golden opportunity to get OEM parts back in manufacture and circulation.
ChrisFoley
Good to know that Porsche has anted up with the correct assembly.
Previously we saw new axles sold by the dealer which had Type 1 CVs modified for the pin but not the gasket.
If they start selling replacement CVs too I'm more than happy to stop dealing with the hassles of altering Type 1 units.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.