Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling 914rubber! I want an LE GT spoiler with air inlet for radiator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JRust
I mentioned this to you once when shooting the bull. I want a new front valance made. I want the LE style with all the GT options. Opening for oil cooler or radiator in my case. Also shaped ends to fit GT flares. If I could draw for shit I would for you. Anybody with skills out there want to draw it. Can you guys picture what I am talking about. Or can I only picture it confused24.gif
BIGKAT_83
Kinda like this one
Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
I thought AIR has something like that.

If not, sounds like a job for A&P up in your neck of the woods. 914rubber has the number as they sell his fiberglass speaker pods.
JRust
They have this one. I kinda like it & it has the oil cooler opening. Still don't do anything for GT Flares. I have my Renegade hybrids one. I do like that one & I could glass in some additions to accommodate the front flares. I just don't have much experience with it. I do think there is a market for one. If made I believe it would sell enough to justify it
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 13 2016, 01:45 PM) *
I want an LE GT spoiler with air inlet for radiator, I want the GT spoiler but LE style

I want a real 916!
biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 13 2016, 08:39 PM) *

They have this one. I kinda like it & it has the oil cooler opening. Still don't do anything for GT Flares. I have my Renegade hybrids one. I do like that one & I could glass in some additions to accommodate the front flares. I just don't have much experience with it. I do think there is a market for one. If made I believe it would sell enough to justify it

I have that one similar to that on mine. Your correct doesn't line correct for GT flares.
JRust
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2016, 07:23 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 13 2016, 01:45 PM) *
I want an LE GT spoiler with air inlet for radiator, I want the GT spoiler but LE style

I want a real 916!
biggrin.gif

Well yeah but I think my odds of winning the lottery are better than that happening confused24.gif and I don't even play the lottery blink.gif
Mikey914
Don't mind helping out when I can make a difference, but looks like there is a source for these.
Steve
I don't think they make an LE spoiler with cooler cutout and one that supports the flairs. I am using the flaired GT front valence on my car. It has the cooler cutout and gives the car a nice stock look.
JmuRiz
If we're doing wish-lists, I want a bumper like Harold's that I don't have to get in europ and ship over:
IPB Image
Frankvw
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/5631881126.html
that is another option (see also the other bumper on the orange/red car in the background with (I guess) an oilcooler mounted there)
Steve
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jun 14 2016, 06:55 AM) *

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/5631881126.html
that is another option (see also the other bumper on the orange/red car in the background with (I guess) an oilcooler mounted there)

Too funny, notice that it's off the car and he switched to my GT valence.
I bet he got tired of it scraping driveways and switched back like I did.
They are great for track, but horrible for the street. An LE for a GT would be nice and have the clearance for street use.
1stworks
I want this one....

IPB Image
JmuRiz
1stworks:
That one is a Renegade Hybrids front spoiler, check with them and you can get it.
1stworks
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jun 14 2016, 12:19 PM) *

1stworks:
That one is a Renegade Hybrids front spoiler, check with them and you can get it.

Thank you.

Any idea if you can run flex dam with it?
JRust
QUOTE(1stworks @ Jun 14 2016, 07:08 AM) *

I want this one....

IPB Image

Again this does not accommodate for flares! I do not see one anywhere that has both the oil cooler/radiator cutout & matches up to GT flares. Besides the stock looking gt valance. Which won't work for me as I leave my flat tow kit on my car. So I need the LE style confused24.gif . This renegade valance is the one I have for my car already. Just don't like the transition in the corners where my flares are. I'd like the valance even more if it just bolted to the bottom of my bumper. With one more at the bottom of the sides. Or better yet make it slotted on the ends. So when you install your bumper. You just slide it in the sides idea.gif (Genius I know)
JRust
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 13 2016, 09:59 PM) *

Don't mind helping out when I can make a difference, but looks like there is a source for these.

No there isn't Mark sad.gif That would the point of my thread biggrin.gif
matthepcat
The one in this picture may be for sale eventually (this is my car). I am swapping to a fiberglass front bumper with a GT cutout. ( Not enough air flow as is to cool my rotary).

If it doesn't work with a GT bumper, I will be pulling this off and selling.

Cheers,

Matt

I want this one....

IPB Image

1stworks
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 14 2016, 02:42 PM) *

The one in this picture may be for sale eventually (this is my car). I am swapping to a fiberglass front bumper with a GT cutout. ( Not enough air flow as is to cool my rotary).

Cheers,

Matt

I want this one....

IPB Image

Sell it to me...

JRust
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 14 2016, 01:42 PM) *

Hey Matt,
you know my suby cools so well all I have are the stock holes in the body that are typically plugged. my outlets are large in the wheel wells. so I get plenty of flow. on my v8 car I cut a big section out of my front bumer. Added a grill from a Camara that matched the fog lights grills. plus really opened the front trunk up. I had tons of airflow & had no problems then. A gt front bumper I don't think will add all that much air flow. That will add a good inch which may be enough. I think that opening is 20-24" wide. what is your opening like behind the bumper?
matthepcat
Hey Jaime,

This car is an older conversion where the radiator cut out is from the stock oil cooler holes down under the front pan of the car. (very strange).

With no front valence, enough air gets scooped up as it flows under the car but once I installed a lower valence it runs warmer ( like 190 on a cold night...where it used to stay around 150-160).

My plan was to move the air inlet in the traditional location on the front of the car, and block off the cut-out that is more under the car.(if that makes sense)

Do you have a photo of your set-up I can look at?

Part of my problem I think is my old copper radiator in the car now does not work as well as a more modern aluminum unit.

Cheers,

Matt

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 14 2016, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 14 2016, 01:42 PM) *

Hey Matt,
you know my suby cools so well all I have are the stock holes in the body that are typically plugged. my outlets are large in the wheel wells. so I get plenty of flow. on my v8 car I cut a big section out of my front bumer. Added a grill from a Camara that matched the fog lights grills. plus really opened the front trunk up. I had tons of airflow & had no problems then. A gt front bumper I don't think will add all that much air flow. That will add a good inch which may be enough. I think that opening is 20-24" wide. what is your opening like behind the bumper?

Mikey914
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 14 2016, 01:00 PM) *

So the real question is is there enough demand to make them (say 20 units) and which style?
JRust
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 14 2016, 09:21 PM) *

So the real question is is there enough demand to make them (say 20 units) and which style?

I think it will need a mock up pic to really gauge it. I personally think people will come out of the woodwork for it. Anybody out there with some photoshop skills feel like doing a mock up? With that we could then do a possible group buy to gauge the interest confused24.gif
mgp4591
Have you thought of tweaking yours on the ends to match your fenders and reinforcing it with more 'glas on the inside for strength? It may be all you need...
snakemain
I've been wanting a flared LE valance, so I would commit to one. Don't need the cooling hole, but I'd deal with it if that was my only option.
914dave
Jaime
I don't know what your time frame is. This fall I'm looking to have this spoiler reproduced. I've spoken with a few others who might be interested. I bought this off Tangerine a few years ago and it's the last one we know of.
Dave
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
I had one and sold it to Dave. A (now deceased) member had a mold made and a dozen air dams made. I got one from his brother, then lost contact before I could secure the rest of the batch.
OTOH, the fitment left quite a bit to be desired.
jd74914
That air dam is awesome!
BIGKAT_83
That's the air dam that's on the Black car that I posted at the start of the thread. It was done for the Kinesis 914 .
Click to view attachment
JRust
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jun 15 2016, 08:28 AM) *

That's the air dam that's on the Black car that I posted at the start of the thread. It was done for the Kinesis 914 .
Click to view attachment

Damn Bob I couldn't even tell in the first pic it formed with the flares. Yes that is basically what I want aktion035.gif . I'm going to play around with my Renegade one. See what I can do to add to it to fit the flares. Just would prefer to buy one that is finished. I can see how fitment will be an issue with any one made. With there being some variation between every flare install. It will be tough to have one made that will be a great fit on every car sad.gif . Still if it is close it's easier to make small variations. Than to do it from scratch.

The other option I would like is for it to bolt to the bumper in front rather than the car. I'd still have 1 attachment per side in each corner by the ends. Just like the idea of it coming on & off with my bumper. I know the 916 front bumper incorporates both but I am not a fan dry.gif
Mikey914
I like the one Dave has, and if there were enough demand yes, I would make it.

Here's the economy of what I would be doing -

In double layer fiberglass unit cost (mine), is about $75-80 each

Mold cost - $800

Costs to distribute - Holding costs $6.75, custom box cost $12.
So just to get these out the door for 20 units my cost is $2725 up front. This is for one version of the mold.

Retail would be $174.40 I'd make about $38 a each, but I have shipping and labor, not to mention that if we are not real careful they can get scratched. These will take up 675 cubic ft to be stored correctly.

As you can see the economy of making these is not huge. I have no problem making these, but they need to be one design. Again, I like Dave's, he needs to get one made, and if enough people are interested we can make this work.
MoveQik

Put me down for one. What Jamie suggested is exactly what I need. I need the LE style valance so I can use my tow bar and I want to move my cooler to the front so I need the cut out. Where do I send the $$$ biggrin.gif
Mikey914
Looks like 2 maybe 3. When we hit 10 I'll start working on this. I don't take money until I know for sure it's going to happen.

Mark
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 15 2016, 06:55 PM) *

Looks like 2 maybe 3. When we hit 10 I'll start working on this. I don't take money until I know for sure it's going to happen.

Mark

I am in for sure with a price point of under $200.
JRust
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 15 2016, 01:04 PM) *

Put me down for one. What Jamie suggested is exactly what I need. I need the LE style valance so I can use my tow bar and I want to move my cooler to the front so I need the cut out. Where do I send the $$$ biggrin.gif

Dude you don't have flares lol-2.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 15 2016, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 15 2016, 01:04 PM) *

My bad...I missed the flare part. If they are for narrow body, I'm in. Otherwise I have to pass.
JRust
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 15 2016, 08:02 PM) *

My bad...I missed the flare part. If they are for narrow body, I'm in. Otherwise I have to pass.

There are some options for narrow body. The renegade one would work.
MoveQik
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 15 2016, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 15 2016, 08:02 PM) *

There are some options for narrow body. The renegade one would work.

With the tow bar mounts?
mgp4591
I'd like to see more detail in the design and how it would look on the car - the photo is a bit vague.... after checking out the details I'd probably be in for one too.
ChrisFoley
I've had these advertised on my website for years and only one other person expressed an interest to me the whole time.
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914dave @ Jun 15 2016, 10:00 AM) *

Jaime
I don't know what your time frame is. This fall I'm looking to have this spoiler reproduced. I've spoken with a few others who might be interested. I bought this off Tangerine a few years ago and it's the last one we know of.
Dave
Click to view attachment

I'm one of those who Dave spoke to.
We (and others) feel there is a growing need for this simple updated version of the LE item with GT features added.
At that time Dave had a possibility of using a fiberglass guy that he knows.
Probably still does.
I tried to make contact with a 'company' here in NJ that said it was reproducing
914 doors in 'glass. Mikey tried to do business with him too. The NJ glass door guy turned out to be a flake or a scammer.
So there is a need.
Who can get it done ?
Under $200. ? I'm in. Accuracy is important too.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 16 2016, 06:15 AM) *

I've had these advertised on my website for years and only one other person expressed an interest to me the whole time.

I don't mind doing these, but if Chris has the mold that he can pull off of right now, for what we need, I would not.

I too could use one that allows me to use the tow bar, so that's the direction I'm most interested in going. Looks like there are a few of us, so yes there is a market.
PanelBilly
One for me too, if you want to count heads.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 16 2016, 11:21 AM) *

I don't mind doing these, but if Chris has the mold that he can pull off of right now, for what we need, I would not.

I don't have the mold.
I was told there were a total of a dozen made in the first batch.
I received one, posted it on my website, and waited.
Since I lost contact with the person who said he had the other units I have them shown as Currently Unavailable on my site.

I never recorded the person's contact info.
He had said he would be returning for more parts to finish the restoration his brother started.
That was 3 or more years ago now.

I didn't post to stake a claim Mark, only to suggest it might not be that big a seller.
Mikey914
I know these will not be a big seller, just didn't want to do something you were already doing.
To summarize looks like about 4-5 takers - All with flairs?
JRust
I am in for sure! Hell I'd buy 2 just to have a spare if it would help.
JRust
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 15 2016, 10:59 PM) *

With the tow bar mounts?

My renegade works with my tow bar mounts on. Although I do have cracks from flat towing. On going in & out of parking lots I think. When there was a little more pitch it would hit. Just barely on the bottom. I'm going to notch mine just a bit so it won't do that again. I took mine off to fix it about 8 months ago. Haven't done a damn thing yet. Was out in the shop the other day. What inspired this thread actually as I didn't like the fitment since adding my flares dry.gif
Gearup
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 13 2016, 08:59 PM) *

I would definitely want one. I have seen numerous GT flared cars that use the narrow body valence and although it doesn't look horrible it doesn't look great. The cars that have matched valences are those that have blended with glass to match. I am not that handy. I believe you would be surprised at the amount of interest you would have for this product. Not only by those that are building a GT but those people who are dissatisfied with the unblended narrow body valences. I have considered buyin the renegade version and paying someone to glass match it. Renegade might even offer it if it was flared to match. I am in below $200.
Gearup
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 16 2016, 05:15 AM) *

If you still have one I'm interested? Under $200:)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.