Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Report
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
lcjo73914
Anybody know any online service that I can get info of a 914 using the VIN #?
I bought this 1975 914, and the former owner had it for parts, but the car is so go condition that really hurt part it out.
It came with the original fuchs, the top dash does not have a single crack, and bodywise is pretty good. So, I was thinking of getting this car register and restore it.
It does not have the license plate. I went to KBB, and there sent me to Autocheck.com. I paid and when entered thin VIN, the autocheck gave the make, model and year, and the last time somebody put information was in 2001.
It is not showing register to anybody
No theft, damage, report.
Is this autocheck.com a good one to check?

Thanks for the help
JeffBowlsby
Have not heard of 'autocheck'.

VIN will not tell you anything. You can get the COA from PCNA that is the factory build info, but its info is limited, not always reliable and probably not worth the effort for a driver quality 914.

But glad you hope to save this one. 914s are becoming scarce...save it if you can.
87m491
I think the OP is more concerned with "legal/registration" issues than "fiscal responsibility" of restoring a worn 914 to driveable status.

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 13 2016, 08:04 PM) *

Have not heard of 'autocheck'.

VIN will not tell you anything. You can get the COA from PCNA that is the factory build info, but its info is limited, not always reliable and probably not worth the effort for a driver quality 914.

But glad you hope to save this one. 914s are becoming scarce...save it if you can.

era vulgaris
Do you have the title for it?

All questions about registering a car would probably be best directed toward your local DMV.
carguy987
Autocheck is an Experian company. Its mostly used by Dealers, its the wholesale version of CarFax that everybody knows. But I don't think you will find anything on your 914 or any 914 for that matter because they didn't start collecting data until 1981 when VINs were standardized with 17 digits.
lalee914
I have a website with a list of 914/6s that I have information about from various advertisements over very many years. This is only for 914/6s. A long time ago, I looked at doing this for 914/4s but there were just too many of them compared to the /6s. Also, many of the 914/4s were sold on the local level with an advertisement in a local newspaper.

The URL for my web site is: www.P914-6info.net

There is other 914 related information there as well.
1TRICK6
Enter the VIN on this website.

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck
Blue6
QUOTE(lcjo73914 @ Jun 13 2016, 08:50 PM) *

Anybody know any online service that I can get info of a 914 using the VIN #?
I bought this 1975 914, and the former owner had it for parts, but the car is so go condition that really hurt part it out.
It came with the original fuchs, the top dash does not have a single crack, and bodywise is pretty good. So, I was thinking of getting this car register and restore it.
It does not have the license plate. I went to KBB, and there sent me to Autocheck.com. I paid and when entered thin VIN, the autocheck gave the make, model and year, and the last time somebody put information was in 2001.
It is not showing register to anybody
No theft, damage, report.
Is this autocheck.com a good one to check?

Thanks for the help

If you are trying to get it titled and registered, it is possible. Go to DMV and get a VIN verification appointment. After they verify the VIN, they will have you send registered letters to the last owner of record. When there is no response from previous owners, they will reg it in your name, give you plates and title. The process is slow but doable.
preach
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jun 30 2016, 01:33 AM) *

If you are trying to get it titled and registered, it is possible. Go to DMV and get a VIN verification appointment. After they verify the VIN, they will have you send registered letters to the last owner of record. When there is no response from previous owners, they will reg it in your name, give you plates and title. The process is slow but doable.

This.

In NH you register at the town and generally they send a LEO over to verify the VIN. I registered my car even though it was not going to run for years (decades?) just because I was paranoid about the PO.

We do not have titles for older cars though.
Blue6
Hi Dan,
It appears he is from Stockton, Ca. Here in the land of fruits and nuts its a lot different. An appoint with DMVfor a VIN verification will take 2-6 months. Then like I said, it's registered letters trying to reach anyone who might claim ownership. Not gonna be something that happens quickly.
Daniel James
If your in Stockton contact Stockton PD and ask for an off site Vin verification. They will charge about $60 and will go inspect the vin and give you the dmv verification form within a few days.
blackmoon
CA DMV doesn't take to long, best to get an appointment have all your paperwork in hand, otherwise not to painful, having recently completed this process
Tom_T
Try the Stockton PD suggestions or a call to AAA DMV services (if you have AAA membership) to see if that gets what you need.

if not, or in addition, you can go to the CA DMV website & look in their downloadable forms for their "Information Request Form & instructions for same, & hten you can print it out, fill in what info you have on the car & from AutoCheck (it's pretty useless on classic cars, as others said), & send it in with the appropriate fee in a check. They take some weeks to get back to you.

Alternatively or if the above doesn't work, you can try Donna Leek for assistance in getting it registered. I know a few people who have used her for cars (including at least one on here), trucks & vintage trailers/RVs, etc., but haven't needed to use her personally.

http://dmvgal.blogspot.com/

So long as it's not reported stoolen, then you should be able to get it registered under the current range of standard & custome plates (including the Yellow on Black 60's look plates (unfortunately they didn't do the Blue/Yello from the 914 era).

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Mike Bellis
I recently had the CHP do a VIN verification for me. It cost $20 and took less than a week to get an appointment with them. The Officer was super cool about checking my grey market Honda scooter. I found that most CHP offices only have a single officer doing this type of work so an appointment is required.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.