Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering quickener...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Mugs914
Any of you guys ever put a steering quickener in a 914? The stock rack is fine, but I would kind of like to have a bit quicker ratio in the Dawg.

Not sure it is worth the effort for a "would be kind of nice" type of mod, and I don't want to end up with Popeye arms trying to steer the thing, but the car is light and the stock steering is easy, so it might be viable...

Anyone ever try it? Any thoughts?

Mugs
mepstein
Mark at 914rubber had talked about making a copy of the correct part but I haven't seen any progress.
jjackson
QUOTE(Mugs914 @ Jun 14 2016, 04:43 PM) *

Any of you guys ever put a steering quickener in a 914? The stock rack is fine, but I would kind of like to have a bit quicker ratio in the Dawg.

Not sure it is worth the effort for a "would be kind of nice" type of mod, and I don't want to end up with Popeye arms trying to steer the thing, but the car is light and the stock steering is easy, so it might be viable...

Mugs

We played with quickeeners on several cars- never felt right- poor feel
There is a replacement gear that shortens ratio-currently having trouble remembering source and manufacturer-I have one at the shop that has never been installed
Will lay my hands on it tomorrow
Will post info
J Jackson
jjackson
QUOTE(jjackson @ Jun 14 2016, 10:02 PM) *

Mugs

We played with quickeeners on several cars- never felt right- poor feel
There is a replacement gear that shortens ratio-currently having trouble remembering source and manufacturer-I have one at the shop that has never been installed
Will lay my hands on it tomorrow
Will post info
J Jackson

I want to say it was made by quaiffe -but I could be wrong
J
jjackson

Mugs

Started looking to see if still available
De finitely quaife
Still available
In my opinion this is the best way to accomplish desired results
J smilie_pokal.gif
jjackson
Double posted
stownsen914
Another option to quicken the steering ratio would be to modify the strut to shorten the steering radius arm. If you're doing your own fabrication, it wouldn't be too difficult, and possibly cheaper than a Quaiffe steering rack mod.
Randal
I did in "222" and it was a great modification. Made a huge difference in being able to control the car; however, it also took a good deal of physical strength to handle the extra input required, especially with slicks.

Of course no issue with short courses, i.e., 60 seconds or less, but long courses like the Medford enduro.....

I wouldn't do it again without an electric power assist, which is available.

Do a search on this site and you'll find pictures of the modification.

BTW I pretty much followed Britain's modification and was lucky to have Bill Charron help me with the installation. Thanks again Bill!

Here is the power steering unit I wanted to put in my car, but never did. It fits/attaches to the coupler before it goes through the car to the rack.

Pacific Customs <(*) http://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac498700.html> has put in a bunch of the same type units and will actually install one if you want. I'm looking forward to visiting their facility in LA.

Here are a few pictures of the installation of the quickner.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Randal

Here is a link to another electric power steering unit, which looks like it will fit in the area where the down rod goes toward the bottom coupler.

http://epowersteering.com/
Randal
Electric power steering is a huge enhancement for auto X. Will definitely help you to drop time.
cali914
QUOTE(Mugs914 @ Jun 14 2016, 02:43 PM) *

Mugs

I have one if you want it. I have the bracket and the modified u joint to make it work
stownsen914
A quickener rack and pinion kit just turned up on the Pelican classifieds, in case anyone is interested. Maybe a Quaiffe unit, judging from the part number, but not sure. No affiliation - I just recalled that it had been discussed here recently.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...-lock-lock.html
Woody
I'm running the same quickener as Randal had for autocross and I really like it. It is a workout at low speeds with 10" slicks but as soon as you're moving over 10 mph it's fine.
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Jun 29 2016, 03:48 PM) *

I'm running the same quickener as Randal had for autocross and I really like it. It is a workout at low speeds with 10" slicks but as soon as you're moving over 10 mph it's fine.

For 60 second autox's the quickners are perfect, no question. To me this is Stage 1. However, adding the electric steering allows you to be smoother.

My objective with any slalom was to set up a pattern and do it flat out, which is a serious workout with the quickner, without electric steering. When you're muscling through you can't be as subtle and smooth, which costs you time.

It was fun running the Medford enduro with a quickner, which is 60 serious corners in less than 4 minutes. If you're not in great shape your arms will go numb after two and one half laps.

My Stage II for steering would have been an electric unit for 222, but with the D Sport I probably won't need it given the lower weight of the car.
naro914
We have a Quaiffe Quick Ratio rack on Huey - one of these days one will go on Papa Smurf. It does make a difference, but is noticeably harder to steer... but come on Mugs...Nadine can steer it!!
914forme
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jun 29 2016, 02:57 PM) *

A quickener rack and pinion kit just turned up on the Pelican classifieds, in case anyone is interested. Maybe a Quaiffe unit, judging from the part number, but not sure. No affiliation - I just recalled that it had been discussed here recently.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...-lock-lock.html

Got it, thank you for the tip beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.