Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty914
what gear is a clutch more likely to slip in, i can barely get in to third before i have to hit the brakes, but i think the clutch is slipping. it seems like its not pulling like it should for the whole one second i can use it.

specs are
about 175 hp and torque
stock 6 spring clutch and pp
195 yoko tires

also smoked some wiring under the dash dealing with the head lights, need to check it out tommarrow headbang.gif
Mueller
stock clutch and pressure plate supposed to be good for 160 or 180hp.....

scotty914
thats what i thought, i am not sure its slipping i just cant use it long enough to find out yet, this weekend will be a long test run. it just seems like it does not to go anywhere as fast in third. but i quess i need some more room to work with and a dyno run to find out how much hp i really have
Andyrew
How long is this road??

I have more hp than that and I can test with it...

2nd and 3rd was were mine slipped... then I tired 3rd and 4th...

I'd try getting it in third at like 30, left foot break a tad bit to keep the speed down, and floor it. If it revs then you know its slipping, if it pulls (accelerates) then you know its not!
scotty914
i have about 200 yards wall to wall
Andyrew
Oh

lol

I'd try left foot braking... either the tires will let go, the clutch will let go, or the car will accelerate... Or something will break....

lol

Andrew
mattillac
why not just test the old fashioned way?
clutch in, find 5th gear, right foot on the brake, let the clutch out slowly. if it dies then your clutch is o.k. if not, then time to check stuff.
Mueller
QUOTE (mattillac @ Apr 6 2005, 09:34 PM)
why not just test the old fashioned way?
clutch in, find 5th gear, right foot on the brake, let the clutch out slowly. if it dies then your clutch is o.k. if not, then time to check stuff.

that is not very accurate at all for what he is trying to test......
Aaron Cox
3rd gear up a hill... you will know if it is slipping...
scotty914
the one problem with a 3 rd gear up hill is third gear will be moving at 70 to 80 miles per hour in the torque peak.

zero to 50 is less than 5 seconds and doing almost 60 when shifting to third in a little more than 5 seconds, so a full throttle stomp in third gear should have me doing 80 + pretty damn quik, its not like it will be bogging down biggrin.gif unless its slips real bad mad.gif
Aaron Cox
cruise up a hill, when it starts bogging a little, roll onto the throttle... if the RPMS go up and the speedo doesnt, your slipping...

no one said 70 mph.... were talking 40 here bud
Andyrew
Yup, mine slipped at 30 mph...

said to myself... its either tires, or clutch....

It twas the clutch (actually pp bla bla bla.... wrong part, odd wear.. bla bla bla..)

You'll know in an instant if its slipping.

You wont GET to 80 real fast... but the engine will....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.