Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
Well, dammit, my throttle cable snapped. Luckily, in a buddies driveway. Driving his wheels now, going to hit EASY when they open, and hopefully, have it back on the road quick.

Yeah, I know, where was your spare cable? And your spare clutch cable?

But it got me to thinking, could you make a throttle cable out of kevlar? It would not have the electrolysis issues a steel cable has. Anyone know of a source?
Mikey914
Actually
Working on an upgraded cable now. Started small with the heater cables, doing drawings to make the other parts now.
falcor75
Upgraded correct clutch, throttle and speedo cables would be awsome... (rubber grommets facing the right direction and such)
brant
There are some very poor throttle cable out there.
Don't buy any of the internet cables
I don't trust the pelican ones at all.
I bought a factory cable after
3 cable failures over both cars in 3 years
Some were old stock from about 2 yrs ago
But not all

One had 40 minutes of use before the throttle stuck open on track!
Very risky and potentially very expensive...
Mikey914
It's pretty sad again, you really wonder where some of these are being made, as well as the quality of the materials. Lots of room fro improvement. Yes you may pay $10 more for a cable, but I can use much better materials, and you will be able to tell the difference.
brant
I'm n when you get to them

I unfortunately had 4 new crap cables in stock and used 3 of them up...
green914
agree.gif look out for those cheap/inexpensive cables - got one from the local auto parts store, it didn't last a week before it started binding up.
Root_Werks
Throttle cable broke while my kid and I were out on a Sunday drive years back. He took the drivers seat and I leaned over the targa bar to operate the throttle. I'd accelerate and say "Shift!" letting off the throttle, he'd shift and call "Go!"

Amazingly, we made a good team and never killed the 914 once! Pretty smooth actually.
Mike D.
I had one where the cable pulled out of the end. I was alone but close to a friends house. I pulled off the crank case vac hose and got a high idle and drove it that way for a couple of miles to his house.
jeffdon
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Jun 17 2016, 10:02 AM) *

I had one where the cable pulled out of the end. I was alone but close to a friends house. I pulled off the crank case vac hose and got a high idle and drove it that way for a couple of miles to his house.

LOL! I considered just turning up my idle screws (carbs) and trying it. Swapped out the cable this morning in about 20 mins.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.