Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best parts source
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coolest914
I am new owner of a 76 914 2.0 in very good shape. I'd like to get some suggestions on the best place to buy parts. The 914 came with a catalog for autoalanta who's website looks very complete with lots of factory parts lists and drawings with hyperlinks.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
r_towle
welcome.png

There is a member vendor forum here, the car has quite a following of talented people who make parts for the car.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=4

You may find searching here regarding AUto Atlanta will be enlightening and prudent.

A few
Http://Www.914rubber.com
Http://Www.pmbperformance.com
Http://Www.tangerineracing.com
Http://www.pelicanparts.com
Chris914n6
The banner ads say a lot towards who is committed to doing you and the car right.

I'd like to add to the list sierramadre.com as they sponsored WCR15 and are close to you.

There are a bunch of individuals that specialize, like caliper rebuilds, pedal rebuilds, harness rebuilds, trans rebuilds, etc.

welcome.png
Cuda911
Tom at TC's Garage is a 914 guru, a friend, and an excellent parts source:

Address: 1578 Osage St, San Marcos, CA 92078
Phone:(760) 891-8151

914World member Bruce Stone is also a great source. PM him at: bdstone914
sb914
welcome.png and thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Cairo94507
welcome.png

Let the fun begin. Before you start buying parts for you 914, please take the time to read, read, read the threads on this site. We have some great resources here with people who love these cars and support our passion.

Please post up pictures of your car so we can see what you have to work with. Then I might suggest you do a complete assessment of your car, front to rear and top to bottom, creating a list of what the car needs and then prioritize that.

Mostly, have fun.
Gmanscott55
Welcome. You are in good hands with this group ! welcome.png
cary
welcome.png

Another source/914 World advertiser . http://www.gprparts.com/

Welcome ..........................
rgalla9146

My goodness, how civil !
And, of course, Welcome !
JoeDees
In my experience, it really depends on what parts you're needing on who the best vendor is for said part.
napasteve
Coolest914, Welcome to the world and hello from another Napa 914 owner. Specifically, what parts are you looking for?
Coolest914
QUOTE(napasteve @ Jun 17 2016, 08:22 AM) *

Coolest914, Welcome to the world and hello from another Napa 914 owner. Specifically, what parts are you looking for?

Do not have a compete list yet but at 1st glance, rubber moldings, sail panel vinyl, original wheels, radio, external metal molding, control unit mounting brackets (currently attached with 1 screw to battery shelf)
Coondog
Here's some more for your list to look up

Automotion

Stoddard
napasteve
"rubber moldings, sail panel vinyl"-914Rubber has this stuff
"original wheels"-nice sets come up on the 914World FS/WTB: 914 Parts pages; also look at thesamba.com classifieds
"radio"-that's on my bucket list too, I need to do some research and hope to get a new audio setup to install this coming winter
"external metal molding, control unit mounting brackets"-I'm not sure on this stuff, watch the classifieds especially when someone parts out a car.
Shadowfax
Restoration Design is a great source too. Sounds like you might need a new battery tray for the control unit mounting points. Click to view attachment

Almost forgot! welcome.png
rick 918-S
welcome.png
BeatNavy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 17 2016, 02:35 AM) *

agree.gif these are all great vendors, and welcome.png

Eric Shea at PMB just squared me away today on some brake parts. Great service!
SixerJ
welcome.png From Blighty

Don't forget your local OPC, my guy Mark has been super helpful and actually many of the prices were better than the independent vendors. Including the external chrome trim

BTW some of it is NLA, one windscreen trim that takes the front targa rubber and one targa bar trim that seals the side window glass. Think it's the drivers side

Have you downloaded the Porsche PET parts pdf yet?

Pictures please

Jon
JeffBowlsby
Whats OPC?
Dave_Darling
AA is, ummm, somewhat controversial around here. There are people who swear by them, and others who swear at them. Quite a few people have had less-than-positive experience with them.

Then again, they have been selling 914 parts since the 70s. Some people want to support them because of that.

Personally, I would rather do without than buy from AA.

--DD
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 18 2016, 11:52 AM) *

AA is, ummm, somewhat controversial around here. There are people who swear by them, and others who swear at them. Quite a few people have had less-than-positive experience with them.

Then again, they have been selling 914 parts since the 70s. Some people want to support them because of that.

Personally, I would rather do without than buy from AA.

--DD

Yeah, I gave up on them too. But. They have supported keeping these cars running in their own unique and puzzling fashion for a long time. So they have that going for them.
Mikey914
OPC? If you are referring to larger NAPA, or parts houses, yes there is a manufacturer that is making many parts for 914's in China, an DC dumping in the parts channels, they have very little if any QC, and lets just say buyer beware.

Besides, supporting your parts vendors allows us all to make more of the correct parts for these cars. Call PMB and tell Eric you have a 74 and need a new passenger rear caliper. He'll get you the right part, clean and plated and ready to install.

I bought a "remanufactured" caliper from auto zone, because I could get it same day. It was spray painted on steel that was not degreased, and marginally cleaned, but the kicker was the bleeder screws were installed, but stripped out. Didn't figure this out til I went to bleed my brakes.
A call to PMB, and problem solved. Yes I did have to wait a week, but the quality difference was worth the wait and cost.

There is a reason that 914 parts vendors exist. We own the cars. We were also frustrated with the lack and quality of parts for our cars.

Rant over
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.