Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail vinyl removal pros and cons please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrblackbox
Searched but couldn't find much on the pros and cons of removing the sail vinyl. I prefer the look without the vinyl, what will I be up against by removing it? TIA
ConeDodger
Not much unless you have an aversion to removing the adhesive with a 3M adhesive remover or worse, you find rust under the vinyl. If you aren't repainting, likely the paint under the vinyl will be a bit darker or shall we say less faded...
era vulgaris
Sail panel vinyl wasn't a standard feature until the last couple years of production, IIRC, and even then was available to be a dealer-delete mod. Lots of cars came from the factory without it, and they would've had black anodize roll bar trim instead of chrome roll bar trim. The LE Canam cars in 74 also had no sail vinyl.
Unless you're trying to keep your car original, it's simply a matter of taste if you want to delete it.
You will have to fill the holes that will be left by the small piece of trim on the bottom of the sail panel. If you delete the vinyl, it looks better if you delete that too. I've seen some cars where it's been left on, and looks wrong to me.
Larmo63
Google 914 Porsche and look at images. There are a lot of cars to look at and that will give you a good idea on how your car/color will look. I've had cars that didn't have it, and cars that do have it. It's a matter of taste and color.

IMHO, some cars don't look right with it deleted, but others look great.

Leaving the lower trim on with no vinyl looks wrong to me.
jrblackbox
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jun 17 2016, 02:29 PM) *

Sail panel vinyl wasn't a standard feature until the last couple years of production, IIRC, and even then was available to be a dealer-delete mod. Lots of cars came from the factory without it, and they would've had black anodize roll bar trim instead of chrome roll bar trim. The LE Canam cars in 74 also had no sail vinyl.
Unless you're trying to keep your car original, it's simply a matter of taste if you want to delete it.
You will have to fill the holes that will be left by the small piece of trim on the bottom of the sail panel. If you delete the vinyl, it looks better if you delete that too. I've seen some cars where it's been left on, and looks wrong to me.

Oh, so if I remove the bottom piece of trim there will be holes to fill. Don't want to have to fill any holes. Not liking that.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Jun 17 2016, 06:49 PM) *

Oh, so if I remove the bottom piece of trim there will be holes to fill. Don't want to have to fill any holes. Not liking that.

Here's a naked sail panel
green914
On my 73 I took mine off and filled the holes. welder.gif I like how it look. idea.gif I have a 74 that I think will look better with the sail panels. Has a lot to due with what color your car is IMHO.
firstknight13
remove it ...looks better
jrblackbox
QUOTE(firstknight13 @ Jun 18 2016, 03:37 PM) *

I like the look without the vinyl too, just don't know if I want to have to dal with filling holes and the subsequent painting.
somd914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 17 2016, 06:42 PM) *

Google 914 Porsche and look at images. There are a lot of cars to look at and that will give you a good idea on how your car/color will look. I've had cars that didn't have it, and cars that do have it. It's a matter of taste and color.

IMHO, some cars don't look right with it deleted, but others look great.

Leaving the lower trim on with no vinyl looks wrong to me.

agree.gif

It's coming off on my green car, and here's an idea of what you find underneath. As for the holes, I'm welding them closed.

Click to view attachment
frankiec@outrageous.net
The holes drilled through the body to hold the vinyl trim will eventually have water running down inside the rear fenders of the body. I think it's a very poor design. Especially if you drive in the rain.

QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Jun 18 2016, 04:58 PM) *

QUOTE(firstknight13 @ Jun 18 2016, 03:37 PM) *

I like the look without the vinyl too, just don't know if I want to have to dal with filling holes and the subsequent painting.

Robert21
I like the botton trim on the car
Chris914n6
I've had a couple of 75s that came with the targa vinyl stock. So they didn't paint the top half...

The vinyl was dry and peeling so it had to come off.
sb914
QUOTE(Robert21 @ Jun 19 2016, 12:15 PM) *

I like the botton trim on the car

Those rims look familiar! beer3.gif
Mark Henry
Too me some colours look better with it and some better without.

What about a dark carbon fiber vinyl wrap?
jrblackbox
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 21 2016, 07:46 AM) *

Funny you should say that, I have been toying with the idea of wrapping the top and possibly the vinyl on the sides too! IMO I would prefer to have no vinyl on my car, too 70's looking!
Gmanscott55
Much cleaner look without the vinyl

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
They look nice when the car, the sail and the rocker covers all the same color as the car.
mepstein
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Jun 21 2016, 01:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 21 2016, 07:46 AM) *

Funny you should say that, I have been toying with the idea of wrapping the top and possibly the vinyl on the sides too! IMO I would prefer to have no vinyl on my car, too 70's looking!

Its a 70's car biggrin.gif
6freak
I really like the clean look of the no panel,,,,its the sexiest parts of the body and they put shitty trim right in the middle of it confused24.gif ,,JMO
smile.gif
Root_Werks
Always liked the vinyl if the top was stock.

Liked the painted (no vinyl) look if the top was smooth and painted to match.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.