Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling all LS guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billium01
What did you do with your coolant crossover tube on an LS motor? Specifically an L33. There's only one on the front of the engine and its in the way of my reversed intake manifold. Also did you swap valve covers when you reversed your intake? I just read something about that and it seems it will put the crankcase ventilation pipes in the right place to match the reversed intake. Any help would be much appreciated. Been scouring the internet for hours. Thanks!
DBCooper
Do you mean the small steam vent crossover tube? I didn't reverse the manifold but did replace an LQ4 truck manifold with an LS1 and it did interfere, so I just bent it until it would clear. The LQ4 also has the steam vent only on the front of the engine. I don't know if that would work for you, maybe some photos? If we're talking about the same tube you could also re-plumb it in copper (easy to bend) or even braided teflon and it would still function the same. Or do your heads have the outlet at the other end? If so you could just switch ends.

Mine's not a 914, though. Here, giving the old girl some balls. "Open wide, mama, this might hurt a bit..."

Click to view attachment

rhodyguy
I wondered what became of the Volvo.
matthepcat
Sweet Paul!

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 18 2016, 05:31 AM) *

Do you mean the small steam vent crossover tube? I didn't reverse the manifold but did replace an LQ4 truck manifold with an LS1 and it did interfere, so I just bent it until it would clear. The LQ4 also has the steam vent only on the front of the engine. I don't know if that would work for you, maybe some photos? If we're talking about the same tube you could also re-plumb it in copper (easy to bend) or even braided teflon and it would still function the same. Or do your heads have the outlet at the other end? If so you could just switch ends.

Mine's not a 914, though. Here, giving the old girl some balls. "Open wide, mama, this might hurt for a bit..."

Click to view attachment

andys
Wegner Automotive makes steam vent adapter blocks that employ a 1/8 NPT so that you can run the vent line of your choice. I just checked their site, and it's currently being upgraded. On mine, I went from the 1/8 NPT to 1/8" compression tubing in order to keep the lines small. Most LS guys go to AN-3.

Andys
Chris H.
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 18 2016, 10:53 AM) *

I wondered what became of the Volvo.

Me too. Looks like it's coming along! Is there a build thread somewhere? The LQ4 is a 6L. I see a red 914 door on the side of the garage biggrin.gif .
billium01
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 18 2016, 05:31 AM) *

Mine's not a 914, though. Here, giving the old girl some balls. "Open wide, mama, this might hurt a bit..."

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the advice! Yes the steam crossover tube. Just one crossover tube at the front. Looks like there are fittings on the back too but no tube. Maybe adding those in could help cooling performance? Nice project btw! Always liked those Volvos.
billium01
QUOTE(andys @ Jun 18 2016, 01:16 PM) *

Wegner Automotive makes steam vent adapter blocks that employ a 1/8 NPT so that you can run the vent line of your choice. I just checked their site, and it's currently being upgraded. On mine, I went from the 1/8 NPT to 1/8" compression tubing in order to keep the lines small. Most LS guys go to AN-3.

Andys

I'll take a look thanks! Do you know why they decreased the number of cross over tubes in the design? I've seen a kit that locates them all into a central block. I have a fast intake so not much clearance underneath it. Thanks again!
andys
QUOTE(billium01 @ Jun 18 2016, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Jun 18 2016, 01:16 PM) *

Andys

I'll take a look thanks! Do you know why they decreased the number of cross over tubes in the design? I've seen a kit that locates them all into a central block. I have a fast intake so not much clearance underneath it. Thanks again!

Early LSx motors used all 4 steam vents, and the later ones only used the fronts. That said, keep in mind that in a traditional engine configuration, the front of the motor is higher than the rear (motor sits at an angle). In a mid engine configuration, the motor will sit level (mine does), so there is no high end in the head venting, thus I used all four steam vent ports for this reason. Most of the guys on the LS! forums only vent the two front ports, but of course those motors at angled slightly to the rear.

Andys
DBCooper
And when you figure out how you want to do it there are kits at Jegs, Summit, etc, even eBay.

I'm curious, Andy, with the 914 and the radiator all the way up in the front of the car where did you route your vent back into the cooling? Into the water pump?

BIGKAT_83
I used the steam vent as the feed for my header tank. Blue push lock hose in the picture.

andys
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 20 2016, 06:55 AM) *

And when you figure out how you want to do it there are kits at Jegs, Summit, etc, even eBay.

I'm curious, Andy, with the 914 and the radiator all the way up in the front of the car where did you route your vent back into the cooling? Into the water pump?

I ran four individual steam vent lines to my header tank.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.