Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Avoiding cutting the rear fender...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mbseto
In my build thread, there were a couple brief comments about replacing the longs without cutting the rear fender. I really like this idea, but need to figure out how to execute it.

Rick, I was hoping you might expand on your original comment...

Click to view attachment

So P331, the inner wheelhouse, needs to go in- and of course this means the suspension console has to go in with it. There not enough space between the fender and the console to get a torch in there.

I can only think of one way to do this... Before I started cutting out the rust, I made a jig that bolts to the trans mounts and engine mounts, and locates the suspension. So I would:
1) Clamp P331 on to the car, drill to locate, then sheet-metal screw it in place.
2) Install my jig, locate the console, and sheet-metal screw it in place.
3) Disassemble everything
4) Weld the console to P331.
5) Weld P331 with console to the car.

That's plan A. Plan B is to remove the fender.

Which plan would you go with?

rick 918-S
Typing from my phone so .... I never liked cutting the quarter panel. Lots of guys have done it that way. It works. I would rather remove the latch post and work through the slot myself. If I was one a real computer I would post a like to a 6 I fixed using that method. I'll look it up to night. I like the fixture you made.
JoeDees
Being one who did it without cutting, I'll say that you need some contortionist skills and it is a pain in the ass, and I didn't even remove the outer console. I think your plan would definitely work though. Replacement without cutting can definitely be done, it's just of matter if you want difficulty now, or difficulty getting the fender right. I really don't know what I'll do on my next/future 914 project.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.