Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Late side shift coupler bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kargeek
I went to drive my restored 28 years ago teener last Friday night, and my shifter turned to mush, no positive gear selection, shifting a stick in a bowl of wipped cream!
Jacked it up to look at the tail shaft bushings and everything and looking at the coupler...the plastic bushings had literally turned to dust.

Supposed to go to the PCA OC white glove concours at mile square park, I did as a spectator!

Time to replace. I have a late side shift with a wealtmister short shift kit - the shift lever and spacer so, what do you think is best, urethane or some machined brass versions. I know the brass will transfer more vibration so let me know what you have used or are running.

McMark
Ive never usedthe brass. Always been happy with the new plastic ones (black). Just don't get the originals with the oval holes (grey)
Kargeek
Update: I installed the brass version shift coupler bushings and man what a difference! My car was an early tail shift- '72 and originally when I did the side shift conversion I also installed a weltmister short shifter that uses the spacer plate under the shift lever. I never realized that on the 4-5 shift that the shift rod was rubbing on the heater blower lever pivot nut. I added a spacer under it to raise it up off the shift tunnel- just some washers spaced up about 1/4" and now there is clearance. Also replaced the transmission mounts as mine looked fine but when I compared the new to the old the old ones had taken a set where they were letting the trans hang lower. After adjustment my car now shifts perfect. It used to be a hunt for 1st gear and a hope and prayer for finding second.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.