Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CHT sensors on a spark plug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Plug #3 poped out just as I got onto the 405, had the AAA tow me home. From the pic an you tell whether there is a time very in there ? Plug threads in ok and I can tighten it but from what I've read from searching 914 World the problem will persist if the head has a crack or the time very needs replacement.
I'm planning to contact Fat Performance next
Any suggestions will be appreciated.. smile.gif
ConeDodger
I bet spell check got you Jim. Timecert? I don't see one.
76-914
Look on the plug Jim. It's either on the plug or in the head. beerchug.gif Unless someone just wrenched on that plug take it in because otherwise something else is going on.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 19 2016, 11:33 AM) *

Look on the plug Jim. It's either on the plug or in the head. beerchug.gif Unless someone just wrenched on that plug take it in because otherwise something else is going on.

Not on the plug
Mike Bellis
Can't tell if your head threads are still good. I have had plugs pop out from being loose and was able to screw them back in without issue.

If they are bad, I would pull the head. It's just easier to repair and less risk of a problem.
Mark Henry
Timecert's are the way to go if it's a thread repair. I agree with removing the head.
If you were close I would lend you my kit.

I'd only do the tap with grease trick if it was back in the day, if it was your only wheels and you were broke.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 19 2016, 04:17 PM) *

Timecert's are the way to go if it's a tread repair. I agree with removing the head.

I'd only do the tap with grease trick if it was back in the day, if it was your only wheels and you were broke.

On the side of the highway with just enough money for the timecert but not the tow also.
It would need to be dark and about 40 degrees in the rain for the complete experience
jim_hoyland
I take it my pic does not appear to be a timecert....
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 19 2016, 05:06 PM) *

Is there an insert in there?
If it has a helicoil you are SOL on a regular timesert.
You can get a bigcert, but you would be just begging for a future crack issue.
r_towle
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 19 2016, 05:06 PM) *

To out of focus
JRust
If you can thread your plug back in & there is no time cert on your plug. Then there is no time cert period. Could be it just worked it's way loose over time. If it threads in & feels solid I would just put it back in. If there is a Crack that is making the plug loose. I would think know you could see evidence from up top.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 19 2016, 01:35 PM) *

Timecert's are the way to go if it's a tread repair. I agree with removing the head.

On the side of the highway with just enough money for the timecert but not the tow also.
It would need to be dark and about 40 degrees in the rain for the complete experience

No jack, a clean white shirt, a dead flashlight and no cell service to complete that experience.
r_towle
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jun 20 2016, 04:47 PM) *

No jack, a clean white shirt, a dead flashlight and no cell service to complete that experience.

Making me,laugh......
Some of us have been there....

I don't like getting old, even more so now.
BUT, having a cell phone, AAA, and a credit card.....and not caring about buying food or getting towed, while driving my toy Porsche....life is good
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 19 2016, 05:18 PM) *

If you can thread your plug back in & there is no time cert on your plug. Then there is no time cert period. Could be it just worked it's way loose over time. If it threads in & feels solid I would just put it back in. If there is a Crack that is making the plug loose. I would think know you could see evidence from up top.

Tomorrow the shop will look at it with a horoscope; that should detect cracks ?
Rob-O
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 20 2016, 02:41 PM) *

I hope your horoscope turns out well. "Today you'll be blessed with just a loose spark plug. Friendships with cars will be heightened today".

biggrin.gif
r_towle
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jun 20 2016, 04:03 PM) *

I hope your horoscope turns out well. "Today you'll be blessed with just a loose spark plug. Friendships with cars will be heightened today".

biggrin.gif

My error, typing on an iPhone is not good to me.
jeffdon
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jun 20 2016, 01:47 PM) *

Oh hell, been there, done that. Just snapped a throttle cable in a buddies driveway. Got it out of there the next AM. But on the whole, been lucky with breakdowns. Only one tow job since 1985.
Rob-O
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 20 2016, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jun 20 2016, 04:03 PM) *

biggrin.gif

My error, typing on an iPhone is not good to me.

Understood. I end up editing 90% of the posts I make using my iPhone.

Seriously though, I hope your news is good.
Larmo63
If the head is all screwed up, I'd use a "horror" scope.

Just sayin'…...
pacman
Had this happen on the way down to WCR! Threaded a new plug in and its ran great since. No expert here though...
pacman
Had this happen on the way down to WCR! Threaded a new plug in and its ran great since. No expert here though...
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(pacman @ Jun 20 2016, 11:41 PM) *

Interesting: do you think the plug just unthreaded itself or were the threads on the thin side and the plug blew out ?

BTW: previous threads on this indicate the plug could pop out again... sad.gif
Chris H.
Threads thinned out over 40+ years.

Wow, flashback to the college days. '74 1.8...bought it, drove it home and the damn plug popped out after a few miles. Makes a helluva noise after it comes out doesn't it Jim? I put a time cert in and drove it for several more years. Easy fix. Never a problem again. The plug will probably work its way back out if you don't re-thread and time cert it unless it was just not tightened enough.
r_towle
It's not a hard fix, I have done it on the side of the road,,,,,

While you may indeed need a new head, get a timecert in the motor now, enjoy the car during the good weather, and shop Around for a replacement head? It may make the project less of an emergency
jim_hoyland
Update: boroscope did not reveal any cracks in the #3 . I've reviewed the Timecert videos; can a Timecert be installed with motor in the car ? And, what size Timecert would I want ?
Going to resume driving to the C&C Saturdays and see how it goes. It's a 50 mile drive RT and will be a confidence builder

The noise it makes when the plug came out was scary ! I instantly knew what it was; Forrest had a plug blow out on his car. His description of the noise was spot on.

Thanks for the tips on this. It was the first time I had a plug pop out in the 31 years I've owned the car.... smile.gif
r_towle
Not sure on the size but it's in the metric kit you will buy, pretty standard thing in aluminum heads.

Can it be done in the car, yes.

We were not joking, it can ( and sadly has been) done on the side of the road in memorably poor conditions.

Chris H.
agree.gif

Definitely can do it without taking the engine out. I did mine right on the street. Just take your time. You just have to be careful about keeping the small metal shavings out of the engine. Didn't generate much in my case. Oiling up the threads well before you start was the recommendation when I did it. Keeps them stuck to the oil rather than falling in.
r_towle
Rotate engine so that piston is up top to assist in stopping cuttings from falling in.
Make a shop vac hose to get in there to suck anything out
Put grease on the tap and pull it out frequently to clean it off and put fresh grease on it
jim_hoyland
Do I need to purchase a Timecert kit ?
r_towle
Well, it would help a lot if you buy the kit smile.gif
76-914
Don't feel bad Jim. The Ford Triton engines do the same thing. And they're 25 yr's newer. beerchug.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 21 2016, 11:50 PM) *

Don't feel bad Jim. The Ford Triton engines do the same thing. And they're 25 yr's newer. beerchug.gif

We may have gone over this before but I think this might be the ford engine my son Abel was trying to tell me that the SOP for replacing the plugs is to break them, then pull the insides up, then use a tool to grab the threaded bung that is left and extract it...

Something crazy like that, as if nothing would end up in the cylinder from this process....

Mark Henry
For a 1.7/1.8 in the car repair I'd get the long shaft timesert kit, the short (which is cheaper) shaft will only work on the 2.0 in the car.

You need the 14mm timesert that is 19mm long, IIRC it might be 18mm.
You can NOT cut down timeserts, the lock is in the end.

The instructions say to use oil, but doing it in the car I'd use grease on cutting tap.
The chase tap is what engages the lock use lots of oil on it, no shavings come off of it, it just expands the end.

If you look here from post 185 you can get an idea on how the job is done.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...9913&st=180
worn
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 21 2016, 07:38 PM) *

Yes - it will have a drill which may be not needed, a tap, the time certs and a tool that will set the time cert in place expanding the insert at the bottom. I like to make my own specialized tools and I would buy the kit.

Also - You might be able to put a paper towel drop cloth on top of the piston if you don't mind the tedium. I might grease it to grab any shavings from the tap. remove carefully before inserting the time cert. Now that I say it. it sounds difficult. A computer vacuum will help.

Good luck!!
You and Forrest both seem to have hit snags since our trip.
ThePaintedMan
John at Aircooled.net rents the Timesert kit.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 22 2016, 08:31 AM) *

John at Aircooled.net rents the Timesert kit.

Thanks, checked it out, pretty reasonable pricing smile.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(worn @ Jun 22 2016, 07:52 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 21 2016, 07:38 PM) *

You and Forrest both seem to have hit snags since our trip.

I parked next to Forrest at Jerome; if it's contagious, my car caught it... sad.gif
jim_hoyland
Update: threaded the spark plug with never seize on the threads, lightly tightened with socket and made three 40 mile trips to C & C

Went to Fat Performance today and asked Greg whether my loose plug was common on a cylinder where a Cylinder Head Temp sensor has been installed. He said those sensor rings are the problem and recommended installing those sensors on a head stud - never a spark plug

Interesting....
914_teener
Hunh...that.s interesting. Maybe it acted like a heatsink backing the torque off the sparkplug?

I have a timecert kit Jim I can give to you if you need it.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jul 25 2016, 05:41 PM) *

Hunh...that.s interesting. Maybe it acted like a heatsink backing the torque off the sparkplug?

I have a timecert kit Jim I can give to you if you need it.

He said the sensor ring under the plug compromised the plugs sealing capacity. After a couple of plug changes, the ring gets distorted and aventually fails to seal 100%
When air begins to get passed the plugs threads, it results in the plug blowing out.
I installed the CHT over 5 years ago; so it's a slow process. He said a stud will suffice for CHT in any case.

Do you think that it could be timecerted with the motor in place ?
Elliot Cannon
Rich Bontempi told a story about JB Welding a spark plug back into his race car. Finished the race with it. laugh.gif Of course I'm not recommending you do that. Consulting with FAT Performance was a smart thing to do.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 25 2016, 07:28 PM) *

Rich Bontempi told a story about JB Welding a spark plug back into his race car. Finished the race with it. laugh.gif Of course I'm not recommending you do that. Consulting with FAT Performance was a smart thing to do.

They have a clean shop and was impressed with Grdg and his operation. For anyone unfamiliar with their location; they are about 1 mile east of the Phoenix Club- the site of the annual Porsche Show and Swapmeet just off Ball Road
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 25 2016, 07:55 PM) *

Update: threaded the spark plug with never seize on the threads, lightly tightened with socket and made three 40 mile trips to C & C

Went to Fat Performance today and asked Greg whether my loose plug was common on a cylinder where a Cylinder Head Temp sensor has been installed. He said those sensor rings are the problem and recommended installing those sensors on a head stud - never a spark plug

Interesting....

You have to use it under the plug, waste of time anywhere else. You have to cut the crush washer off the plug you use for the sensor. Little surprised FAT would recommend under a head stud.
You also need to dremel a groove in the side of the plug hole countersink, because it's a bit too tight for the crimp part of the connector.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 25 2016, 08:28 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 25 2016, 07:55 PM) *

Interesting....

You have to use it under the plug, waste of time anywhere else. You have to cut the crush washer off the plug you use for the sensor. Little surprised FAT would recommend under a head stud.
You also need to dremel a groove in the side of the plug hole countersink, because it's a bit too tight for the crimp part of the connector.

He did bring up making the groove too; I had just put the sensor onto the plug and tightened it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.