Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Loser_Cruiser
I've seen valve covers that use the vw type one clip things and others that have two bolts in the middle. Why is that? Is there an advantage? Is it easy to convert to that?
Thanks
Walter
The clip is the stock method: Very good, 'never' leaks when in good condition.

The bolted method is usually used with alu valve covers: I have never bolted on a set that did't leak and they put an extra strain on your valve train bolts (not always a good thing if you use already heavier springs).

I stay away from shiny thing that leak. Just MHO of course. So, I allways use new clips and original steel valve covers.

Best regards,
Walter
mk114
I disagree the original Valve cover tend to leak after long periods of sitting, where as the new bolt on use a neoprene cup over the edge and are far superior to to the stock

I have used them in every vw application for 10 years and the stock valve covers are the one I find to be inferior.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (mk114 @ Apr 7 2005, 05:24 AM)
I have used them in every vw application for 10 years and the stock valve covers are the one I find to be inferior.

how many of those were T-IV's ?
URY914
You'll find most people here that had the cast aluminum v/c have changed back to stock v/c. I changed mine back and tried to sell my aluminum ones and no one wanted them.

When stock v/c are in good condition, (not bent) installed correctly (not upside down)with good gaskets (not RTV) they don't leak.

Paul
Cap'n Krusty
You mean those finned aluminum valve leakallovers, right? POS, I remove them from every customer's car I can, and trash them. Solves the leak problems every time. The Cap'n
URY914
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 7 2005, 07:04 AM)
You mean those finned aluminum valve leakallovers, right? POS, I remove them from every customer's car I can, and trash them. Solves the leak problems every time. The Cap'n

Thanks a lot mad.gif

Now I'll never sell mine. biggrin.gif

I'll put them on Samba.com. Those guys will buy anything w00t.gif

Paul
Joe Ricard
Damn it Cap't I won't sell mine now either.
BTW you can't get the damn things off the heads while mootor is in the car. hits the suspenion ear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.