Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street AND AX/Track Tire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Alphaogre
I am trying to narrow down a tire option moving forward. I have standard tires that are fine for the road, but only give me about 1 maybe 2 laps before they overheat. I have heard some good things about the below tire options but I am having trouble narrowing it down.

The use will be as follows. I drive the car on the road, 1 maybe 2 days a week. I don't drive it in the rain, so that is not an issue. It does not do long freeway drives, mostly spirited drives to work or around town on the weekend. It is mostly becoming an AX car, and I am really wanting to step up the tire compound for that reason. I would also like the tire to be better rated for some DE/TT events in the fall.

I have 15"x5.5 rims on a narrow body that currently have a 195x65x15 on them. I am thinking 205x50x15 (which gives me more options), or 195x50x15 which leaves me with the Toyo Proxies. the longevity to stickiness ratio is somewhat of a factory in budgeting...I can't be buying 3 or 4 sets a year.

The car is mostly stock set up with a 1911cc short stroke, weber 44s and cam. Front adjustable sway bar and adjustable C/O Bilstein HD's in the rear. I think I might add a roll hope with lateral struts during the summer, not sure if that would need to be factored in.

Any feedback would be great. I have done some research but haven't found info with a car/set up relevant to mine. A.K.A a slower 914-4 narrow body. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
The Proxes are not street legal and wear quick. The PZero will wear even quicker.

If you're at all concerned about legality and somewhat decent wear on the street, i'd go with the Dunlops or something similar.
idea.gif
Andyrew
I have the Dunlops for my Fiesta. Its like all the other 200TW autox tires, they are really sticky and have a good amount of life in them. I only ran them at WCR and put them in black plastic bags after I was done with them. I will only break them out on the weekends or at autox's and I will probably get a couple years on them.

The Bridgestone RE71-Rs are actually a little stickier, but they dont last as long.

Do you know what R compound tires felt 15 years ago? Thats what the new 200TW autox tires feel like. Yet it will give you 10-25k miles depending on your use.

As with all tires, heat cycles and age is what kills grip.
brant
I would consider the toyo proxes RA1 too....
Alphaogre
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 20 2016, 12:14 PM) *

If you're at all concerned about legality and somewhat decent wear on the street, i'd go with the Dunlops or something similar.
idea.gif

If I get pulled over....biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
IPB Image

Don't care about the legality, I ran kevlar protruck tires back in the day on my truck when I used to pit down in Baja.

As for longevity, one set every 9 to 12 months would be fine. Even when I drive on the street it's not many miles, probably about 30 miles or so. I know the number of AX or Track events would greatly affect the longevity. I just don't want to have to get new tires every third event or something like that.

I have talked with some of the 911 guys at the track, but they have more weight and power hitting their rears...

I have another set of wheels that I was going to do a AX set and street set, but since I have been doing AX and tracking, I don't really get the urge to just cruz around anymore. Besides it is so rigid now with a sport-seat, it's becoming more toy then cruiser. So I am thinking I would rather have the more performance tire when I drive the street as well.

Alphaogre
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 20 2016, 12:29 PM) *

Do you know what R compound tires felt 15 years ago?

I was not driving 15 years ago, biggrin.gif so I don't know what that feels like.

I'm newer to all this, and my age begets my ignorance shades.gif
6freak
driving good AX tires on the road will kill them in no time ,,driving AX tires on the track will kill them in no time! driving track tires for AX is a handful they dont get warm fast enough ,,,,driving Michalin Pilot sports will fit you all around IMO ..and you wont be buying tires every 9 months ,,you would have to track it every day to wear them down in 9 months! all JMO...good luck
smile.gif
Alphaogre
QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 20 2016, 02:26 PM) *

driving good AX tires on the road will kill them in no time ,,driving AX tires on the track will kill them in no time! driving track tires for AX is a handful they dont get warm fast enough ,,,,driving Michalin Pilot sports will fit you all around IMO ..and you wont be buying tires every 9 months ,,you would have to track it every day to wear them down in 9 months! all JMO...good luck
smile.gif

I have not come across those yet, I'll check them out, thanks.
Andyrew
Here, this should help you.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 21 2016, 12:17 PM) *

Here, this should help you.

I ran the Bridgestone Potenza when I drove my 70 on the street & AX it. With my 73 which is 99% AX only I run the R888.
914forme
I run the Hancock Ventus V12 EVOs on my street car for summer, like them so much I have a set for my 914. I would not call them be best at anything, but they are great in the wet. I also have more wheels so I mount what I need to get the job done. BFG Rivals are a great tire, hold off on buying them because we are in another DOT performance tire arms race. BFG has made sure all manufactures are upping their game.

You can also run the Maxxis but you will drop some time to BFG, but they wear much better.
Racer
1) check rule book. Some clubs (pca, scca) will mention a minimum treadwear rating for a particular class.. Seems "200" is the new baseline for many clubs (at least near me).

2) Then consider the class you will run in. If you are running a XP or some class due to your motor mods, you may never have a competitive car, so consider your wallet limits wink.gif

Then.. get the best tire for the car/class.

Run a 205-50-15.. many many choices.

fwiw, I've run "r"comps on my car almost year round. dry, wet, track, autocross, street, blah blah since the 1990s.

Alignment is what kills the tire, particularly Toe and Camber settings. Get over that.

Yes, the ideal AX tire doesn't make a good track or street tire. Live with your limits. Any R comp will be better than your previous street tires.

I'd go with RA-1s. Then maybe the Dunlops or Bridgestones.

Oh.. and have fun!
preach
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...L&tab=Sizes

had them on a awd subi and on a fwd integra.

loved them
Woody
The toyos are in fact a street legal tire. Other options to consider would be the Bridgestone RE71r and the BF Goodrich Rivals. Both are a 200 tread wear AX tire and are very fast.
westtexass2k
I have used a good number of tires over the years I have competed in the One lap of America 3 times and done a lot of DE weekends and the last few years racing 24 hour Lemons events. I have done thousands of Laps over last 12 years. Tokyo RA1 and R888 are both very good basically the same compound just different tread patterns and rubber block layout. Spirited dry road driving, DE/ax in fairly light car you will get reasonable life out of them and maximum traction with good feedback. It would be my choice if you can find them in the size you want.

All my other cars have been Lotus 7 types that weight 1300 lbs and power levels of 240-500 hp. With these cars a set of R888 last me the entire season usually 7 DE weekends and few AutoX and aprox 4K miles a year of highway driving.

One Lap of America we were limited to 200 wear tires. I used Yokahoma AD07 good in the dry bad in the wet and very noisy. Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Very good tire wet or dry and good feedback and breakaway warning and long life,but expensive and took time to get heat in them so not good for AutoX We took 3rd overall with that tire and the top 10 cars were all on PS2 tires.

Lemons racing we are limited to the 200 wear as well. We are running a BMW 535i about 2900 lbs now. We have been using the BFG Rival. They have been really good for us. Good grip takes a lot of really hard driving on a hot track to overheat. Wear has been good. We usually get a whole weekend out of a set (450-500 laps) if we don't lock a wheel up and flat spot one. Hadn't used them in the wet.

Alphaogre
Thanks for all the replies! Definitely got some new ones to look into that might be some better options. Sizing will definitely be a determining factor since the rims are so narrow and small.
jhadler
Twenty years ago, the saying about Toyo's was pretty much the same as today. "Toyo's... They suck for a really long time...". That is, compared to much more aggressive compounds, such as available from the likes of Hoosier and Kumho. They won't be as competitive, but they will last a really long time. And on low powered, light weight cars, that are doubly duty occasional street cars, they'll probably turn to rocks before they wear out.

If I were picking a nice, don't-break-the-bank, double duty street/autox tire for a 914, I'd be hard pressed to pick anything else.

-Josh
Chris Pincetich
If allowed, the "spray water on your overheated tires" routine at AX events does work. I used to run Dunlops 195/50 then got a short 3rd gear and was happier to go big with 205/50s. The Dunlop Star Specs were great all around and weekend racer tires but did overheat in summer AX events, and I cooled them off for improved results. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.