Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Vw Trikes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sparky
Ok so with the gas prices soaring I'm thinking about parking the Jeep or atleast not driving to and from work every day. It's an hour and 10 minute drive each way.

I'd love to get another bike but I've made an agreement with the wife that I'd hold off on a two wheeler until our kids are in college. So I got to thinking what about a trike? It's not a two wheeler... And I'm sure they get better gas mileage then the teener and the jeep.

So if anyone has some resources for trikes or suggestions please kick them my way.

Thanks!
Mike D.
JeffBowlsby
Why give up the 914...you can have both...Sorry couldn't resist.

URY914
I don't understand why people like trikes. They don't handle worth a crap. You have to tiptoe around corners or they'll fall over. I see alot of Goldwings converted to trikes down here. The old farts really like them. rolleyes.gif

Paul
TC/914
Here you go Sparky:

http://btw-trikers.org/uploads/home.php

It's the official web site of "The Brothers of the Third Wheel" and ought to get you started on VW and well as "traditional" trikes. Check their links and such, if you have trouble finding more info/need more info, let me know.

Luck,

TC
URY914
rolleyes.gif OMG,
URY914
Fine backyard engineering

URY914
Nice...
Sparky
Ya know if the teener still had fuel infection I'd run it back and forth to work. I'm not an old fart, yet. But I promised no two wheelers until the girls were in college. So a three wheeler stick to the promise...
lapuwali
QUOTE (Sparky @ Apr 7 2005, 10:02 AM)
Ya know if the teener still had fuel infection I'd run it back and forth to work. I'm not an old fart, yet. But I promised no two wheelers until the girls were in college. So a three wheeler stick to the promise...

So, put EFI on the 914 and you're done. It would be cheaper than a trike, and a lot drier.

Were I to do a three-wheeler, I'd do one of the bike-powered one-wheel-in-back versions. These can be make to handle quite nicely, and can be VERY fast. Regulations in many states put three-wheelers in a limbo category: not a car, not a bike. So, you don't need a helmet, and you don't need to smog it. An 800lb fully-caged two-seater using a 1200cc bike engine in the 150hp range would be pretty fun, and should get reasonably decent mileage.

DBCooper
QUOTE (URY914 @ Apr 7 2005, 05:52 AM)
I don't understand why people like trikes. They don't handle worth a crap. You have to tiptoe around corners or they'll fall over.

You apparently haven't run in to a Morgan three wheeler. Stock for stock you'd be hard pressed to keep up.
Andy
Two wheels up front, on in the back is the only way to go.

Trihawk
user posted image

T-rex
user posted image

You don't need a reverse gear do you? biggrin.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (Andy @ Apr 7 2005, 11:24 AM)
Two wheels up front, on in the back is the only way to go.

Trihawk
user posted image

T-rex
user posted image

You don't need a reverse gear do you? biggrin.gif

Actually, the T-Rex has a reverse. They cooked up something in the final drive to reverse it, which suggests it actually has six reverse gears. Dunno about the Trihawk.

An amusing project would be to use one of the Leadwing sixes with it's gearbox and final drive. This has a reverse built in using the starter motor. The all-up weight of the three-wheeler would be about the same weight as the bike, or even lighter.
Andy
Didn't know know that! I saw one on TV that didn't have a reverse gear, probably just a prototype though. Trihawks have reverse, they're front wheel drive too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.