Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how much paint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
For a full top body respray will i need to buy.

I've found somewhere to buy paint in cellulose. I will be painting both trunks inside and the fuel tank area. I'll also painting undersides of both trunk hoods aswell as the complete top outer shell.

How much paint will i need to buy? The mix ratio will be 50/50
Andyrew
Base clear or single stage?
Catorse
I painted the following on my car:

- entire top side body.
- inside of trunk
- inside of hood
- door jambs

Screwed up the front two fenders, needed to respray

Total pain used: 1 gallon, PPG envirobase. I have maybe a half pint left. If I had not bothced the front fenders, I would have probably used 3 quarts total.

YMMV
sb914
11 rattle cans will do it smile.gif
Chris914n6
Around here 3 quarts costs more than a gallon.
76-914
1 gal of paint is enough
JFG
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 21 2016, 06:58 PM) *

Base clear or single stage?

Single stage paint is what is on offer.

I was advised probably 5 litres based on the shop advice from previous customers.
Andyrew
What units of measure do they sell them in?

For single stage, You have your paint, your hardner, and your reducer. For 1 unit of measure on the paint itself will yield about 1.4-1.5 units of material. Just FYI.

4L if you do not spray under the chassis, 5L if you do. This should net you with 1L in spare for touch ups or respray.

I sprayed my body in 7 thin coats and sprayed under both trunks and used about 2L. I also painted my targa top and trunks twice.

76-914
agree.gif And add to that; an experienced painter will waste less paint and HVLP equipment saves a bunch of paint.
r_towle
If you cannot buy the paint by the gallon ( what you need btw) and you need to buy 4 liters, mix all four together in a bucket really well before you mix the paint with anything else. Kind of a pain, but you want to ensure perfect color and humans mixed up all four jugs of paint and they will be different
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.