Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rattle noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
I recently had our 1.7 serviced and they reset the gaps in the tappets but now the engine seems to make a rattle noise now,something it didn't do before hand they are experienced so i doubt that they set the wrong gaps but somethings changed
Thanks Brian
Rand
Sounds like they don't know the right specs and got some way too loose. Ask them if they know what should be .06 vs .08 and if they know which 914s had engines that needed different specs.

Bob L.
Does it quiet down after warming up?
76-914
That or they gapped chromoly rods, unwittingly. Also, check your heat exchanger for a loose fit or some tool left on top of an exchanger.
cal914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 21 2016, 12:18 PM) *

That or they gapped chromoly rods, unwittingly. Also, check your heat exchanger for a loose fit or some tool left on top of an exchanger.

The noise is defiantly coming from the engine , when I spoke to the guy he said that the gaps where really tight could that mean that they are chromoly rods (what ever they are )
Thanks Brian
TheCabinetmaker
Brian, chromoly pushrods do not expand like the stock sodium filled rods. They are adjusted at zero lash. The ends of the rods are very different from the stock, so easy to tell if they are not stock. that doesn't mean they are chromoly, just means they are not stock
barefoot
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 21 2016, 04:55 PM) *

Brian, chromoly pushrods do not expand like the stock sodium filled rods. They are adjusted at zero lash. The ends of the rods are very different from the stock, so easy to tell if they are not stock. that doesn't mean they are chromoly, just means they are not stock

Sodium filled push rods ???, mine are just just aluminum with open ends.
r_towle
Doubt the push rods were replaced, just bring it back it may just need to be done again...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jun 21 2016, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 21 2016, 04:55 PM) *

Sodium filled push rods ???, mine are just just aluminum with open ends.

Yep.... OE 2.0 exhaust valves are sodium filled.
stugray
He said pushrods.
the pushrods are not sodium filled but the valves are.
In fact they are hollow so they can pump oil to the rockers.
mepstein
Check the fan
TheCabinetmaker
Stu is correct. Sodium filled valves. Not sure what I was thinking.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.