Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: more positive press
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
In an op-ed piece titled "Looking Past the Obvious....Exploring beyond the blue-chip cars can reveal the true soul of a famous marque"

In the July 2016 issue of "Keith Martin's Sports Car Market", a very astute and perceptive contributor writes .......

"Why not a 914?
"The Porsche 914 is a terrific vehicle; simple, well detailed, beautifully balanced, carefully built and possessing adequate power with its 1.7 liter, 4 cylinder engine. It's a well powered car with its 2.0 liter 4-banger, and it's delightful with the 2.0 liter, 6-cylinder engine. On the debit side for many was the fact that it was also in part the successor to the VW Karmann Ghia and sold in Europe with "VW-Porsche" badges.
"That the original 356could have been thusly badged as well apparently makes little difference.
"I would argue that the 914 is closer to the philosophies that established the reputation and spirit of Porsche than some of the far heavier, larger and more powerful cars with "pure" Zuffenhausen bloodlines.
"Before dismissing the 914 out of hand, actually take the time to drive one. And since we all know we should buy cars because of what they do for us-rather than our friends-you can safely ignore the badge snobs who might look down their noses at you.

Most of us on this Forum know and embrace this sentiment, but it is rather gratifying to see this in print in a magazine that dedicates most of its coverage to high-end and very high end automobiles.

Paul Naberhaus
76-914
Well said. I think it's time for a "60 Minutes", or similar, 914 documentary. An hour might be enough! beerchug.gif
Peashooter
Totally agree! The 914 has been the red-headed stepchild for a long time. Driving my 914-6 is such a delight!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.