Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need help with my Webers.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toecutter
My new purchase was running like a bat out of hell for the first week and now is starting to stutter and spit. My buddy that sold it to me lives in Richardson and does not profess to be the dual carb expert anyway. Who in the College Station/ Northern Houston area can recommend who to go to?
Joe Ricard
Just clean your jets and try it again.
We here on the board have lots of knowledge with carbs. That's why many of the people here run FI.
If cleaning jets don't help re0verify all your ignition system. then start tweeking the carbs. Do you have a uni-syn gauge? Don't even turn a screw till you get one of them.

You are going to have to learn this for your self. I have nursed a car home after a race . 185 miles of pure hell clogging jets every 20 minutes. in the dark cold and wind. But I got it home. Cleaned gas tank new filters new hoses even cleaned the gas in the lawn mower just to make sure I got it all.
mk114
the Best Vw mechanic I ahve ever know is in Texas, But alass he is in Corpus Christi, and you are in Houston If you ever find yourself in Corpus look him up

Dale's Import Service
7001 Road B
Corpus Christi, Texas 78414

dalesshortbus@msn.com

361-991-0100
Joe Ricard
Hmm the best VW mechanic I have ever known shows up in the mirror every time I shave.

Guess I don't get out much.
DBCooper
Doesn't have to be the best, almost any comptetent aircooled VW mechanic can do it. There's a place on Kyrkendahl just east of the intersection with 1960, ALS Imports or something like that, though I'm not sure they do aircooled any more. Also Jeff's Bug Shop (JBS) just off Chimney Rock south of 59. And there's another new one on 34th, but can't remember the name.

But if your carburetors suddenly went bad I can almost guarantee it's clogged idle jets, which are easy to unplug. Look at the Weber tuning procedures on www.aircooled.net or get the CB Performance Weber book. All you need is a little compressed air, or lacking that a can of carb cleaner. Remove the idle jet stacks and blow them out. You should be able to look through the jet's orifice to spot the one that's clogged. If that doesn't do it then you'll have to remove the mixture screws and spray UP (never down, it will jam whatever's clogging them even more solidly) through that idle circuit passage just a second. Put the screws back in (exactly the same number of turns out from closed) and you should be good. To prevent them clogging again grease the tops and bottoms of your air cleaner elements to keep any dirt from getting in to where it can get to the jets.

If you're going to keep using carburetors you probably need to learn this whole drill, as well as balancing them and adjusting them generally, because I guarantee you this won't be the last time it will happen. It's not hard to do, and you'll end up being one of the few very special people on your block who can adjust and balance multimple carburetors.
Trekkor
agree.gif

Just be like me and ask LOTS of questions.
It's pretty easy and quick once you understand what to do.

KT
Jerry
Hey, the Bug Clinic in Bryan can help you. He has all the jets and lots of experience and can probably help you. My 914 is there and he is building some carbs for me.
Call Bill at 979 775.0214 or 1 800 805.1625 tell him Jerry sent you!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.