Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introduction of guy and car....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Frankvw
yesterday afternoon the big day, the Nation Road/Safety test to get a license registration in NL to drive the car in Holland.
It has multiple layers since the car was never registered in Europe before, so some extra tests are required to make it road-legal here.
Paperwork, ID check, check if it is not build out of more than 2 cars, structural integrity check (rust), length, width, determine weight of the car, and then enter the technical area.

The Technical Area was the part why I was a bit nervous. They check everything really strict and since I did a lot to the car, a lot could come out of it...
did I do a good job ?
Click to view attachment
this is the scale where they determine the weight of the car, one of the checks/tests

Short sad version : it failed the test.
Emotional version: why fail it over such small defects ?!?!
Optimistic version : it only failed over 2 easy thingies, easy to solve

Everything was in great order, also the brakes (that cost me a lot of money, time and energy), lights, tires, electrics, play, steering, shocks etc etc all in good order.
It failed because of two things:
1) damaged rubber dustcover of the steering balljoints
2) left windscreenwasher nozzle was not effective enough (it worked, but not good enough)

So, at first I was disappointed the car failed (actually it meant that I failed), then I realized it is actually roadworthy and legal after those thingies are fixed !
But that will take some time, since due to Covid19 the earliest re-check will be about 6 weeks from now.
This gives me some time to find and replace the dustcoverboots and fix the nozzle defect.

It was a day filled with different emotions, and I slept good last night (better than the night before the test smile.gif )

PS a good thing to mention: I was not allowed to drive the car on the Dutch roads, because it is not registered yet. That gives some challenges if you want to test stuff like the brakes.
Yesterday, at the day of the test, you get a license registration for the day to drive it so you can come to the teststation.
This means I really drove it for the first time since I bought it, which was also exciting.

In the end this day was a good test for man and machine....
dt4
Hey Frank that's a great result, its a shame that there is a 6 weeks wait until you can get the retest but at least you know its road ready
well done
DRPHIL914
washer squirter, really WTF.gif i've had my car for almost 12 years, and they have never worked, i am installing the switch from Carmagic soon and pump from 914sixer, but up to this point i have just applied Rainx windshield treatment, wipers work so i've never had an issue even in severly heavy rain storm, had great visibility, but oh well you have to play within the system you have, you should be able to fix that and maybe its just low pressure in your tire/bottle that didnt allow for this to work, but loook at the lines, they rot out at the connection in the steering column and under the dash make sure you are not squirting water on the floor either. your local auto parts should have tubing , but if the nossle is bad and clogged then 914rubber has replacement ones.
Good luck and look forward to your next update being a fully licensed roadworthy car!!
FlacaProductions
Good work - two easily correctable things but it's a shame to have to wait so long for the re-test.

When you go back, do they check everything again or just the items that "failed"? Do you get the same inspector?
Frankvw
Thanks all for the positive replies.

@DRPHIL914 I should have mentioned I converted the washer system to an electric one, using the original washer reservoir with a pump attached on it, small pushbutton at the dash, using one of the already present holes under the dashmaterial next to the sigarettelighter.

@FlacaProductions They will only check what is marked as failed in the report. It is possible I get the same inspector, but he mentioned for these universal issues any inspector should be able to perform the check.
Cairo94507
@frankvw - Congratulations on passing all but 2 very minor issues that are easily addressed. beerchug.gif

I wish we had stricter vehicle registration laws here in the USA- especially CA. I regularly see complete piece of craX cars which are currently registered rolling down the road. The Highway Patrol (police whose main job is the enforcement of the CA Vehicle Code) do nothing as these rolling wrecks drive right by them.

When I was a lot younger, we had surprise CHP inspection stations that were set-up on major roads and your car was put through a basic inspection to see if it was road worthy. That was stopped probably 35 years ago unfortunately.

Admin Edit: Sorry... had to remove the political comment.
porsche914rick
piratenanner.gif

aktion035.gif
Tdskip
Car looks great BTW!

Thanks for the update.
MM1
Yep - it's a beauty - you'll be free and clear soon!
Frankvw
so, the parts arrived, since it was hard to find just the rubber dustcovers, I thought...why not change the whole thing, right ? smile.gif
They are old and new ones do not break the bank.

before (soaking in WD40):
Click to view attachment
The rubber bootcover was a goner for sure. I could tear parts of easily as you can see.
How could I have missed that going through all stiff I wonder now.....

So, the new part installed (on both sides of course)
Click to view attachment
With a selflocking nut instead of a castell nut with pin.

I also fixed the not-good-enough-spraying-windscreenwasher on the driver side (the other item it failed on). It turned out the valve that is in in front of the washernozzle was clogged. I could not get it free, so I deleted it and now it works fine.

The next test possible is in 5 weeks to show I fixed the items it failed on previously.
It takes so long because of Covid-19. A full test is 12 weeks waiting time at the moment.
Untill then, no driving is allowed....... waiting waiting waiting......
Frankvw
Ok....BigDay#2...Today the new test for a road-legal-registration in the Netherlands after Test#1 failed me on small issues (see earlier post).
Fixes were done and I drove there on a 1day temp license (that is the white homebrew plate on the car)
Always scary to drive there since it is its second run ever here and I have to ride highways but also need to go through a long tunnel. You never know right ?
I made it in 1 piece, got during my ride there several people looking at the car (welll...I guess they were not looking at me) and some thumbs up, That is always cool.

Click to view attachment
Inside it is not allowed to take pics, so you have to take my word the test was done smile.gif
So...tested.... previous issues extra checked and when we were done, we close the drivers door, but it would not latch..and the inspector said that was a no-go if the door did lot click in its lock.
Unbelievable...I never had that before and now it is killing my test ?!?!
I tried shutting it like 15 times but it did not latch. He told me to take a seat and he would get a fellow inspector to discuss the status.
So, I close the door to walk away and it latched.smile.gif ...so...we both look at each other and he marks the form as PASSED !

Next is to do a tax thingie on the car online (done afterwards immediately) and wait for the licenseplate registration to arrive (in about 1 week).
Then insure it and have the plates made. After they are on the car it will be road-legal !

Almost there....and again I feel like I am allowed to use the banana icon !
piratenanner.gif
Shivers
Wow, what an journey. Congratulations, have fun.
dt4
great news beerchug.gif
Arno914
Congratulations!!! aktion035.gif

What an exciting story, indeed. Sounds like the inspections in the Netherlands are even tougher to pass than here in good old Germany.

Nice Pictures, too! Hope to meet you some day at an European 914 meeting.

Arno
Cairo94507
Congratulations! You are on the down hill side now and will be cruising around in that beauty in no time. smilie_pokal.gif
bbrock
What a well-earned banana! Here, I'll give you another piratenanner.gif
PanelBilly
I don't know how I missed this thread, but better late than never

welcome.png
iankarr
Great car...and a great story.
shag
I am very happy for you.
Frankvw
@Shivers @dt4 @Arno914 @Cairo94507 @bbrock @PanelBilly @iankarr @shag
Thanks for the feedback and kind words ! That really means a lot in my motivation to work on my 914.
To the rest that reads my posts...thanks a lot for your interest in my topic.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Nov 20 2020, 03:05 AM) *

Ok....BigDay#2...Today the new test for a road-legal-registration in the Netherlands after Test#1 failed me on small issues (see earlier post).
Fixes were done and I drove there on a 1day temp license (that is the white homebrew plate on the car)
Always scary to drive there since it is its second run ever here and I have to ride highways but also need to go through a long tunnel. You never know right ?
I made it in 1 piece, got during my ride there several people looking at the car (welll...I guess they were not looking at me) and some thumbs up, That is always cool.

Click to view attachment
Inside it is not allowed to take pics, so you have to take my word the test was done smile.gif
So...tested.... previous issues extra checked and when we were done, we close the drivers door, but it would not latch..and the inspector said that was a no-go if the door did lot click in its lock.
Unbelievable...I never had that before and now it is killing my test ?!?!
I tried shutting it like 15 times but it did not latch. He told me to take a seat and he would get a fellow inspector to discuss the status.
So, I close the door to walk away and it latched.smile.gif ...so...we both look at each other and he marks the form as PASSED !

Next is to do a tax thingie on the car online (done afterwards immediately) and wait for the licenseplate registration to arrive (in about 1 week).
Then insure it and have the plates made. After they are on the car it will be road-legal !

Almost there....and again I feel like I am allowed to use the banana icon !
piratenanner.gif

Yay! Goed Zo! Hopefully I'll be in the Netherlands (Bussum) in the spring next year and would like the chance to meet up and see this 914. Not many of them there are left.

The pirate banana is perfect piratenanner.gif named after Qarl (Karl Ellzey)

kroelofsen
Hi Frank, I'm working on a 914 restoration right now and have to go to the RDW at some point next year (I hope/guess...). Any thing special on the tail lights? Are the original US spec tail oke for the inspector?

Nice car and nice color...!
Frankvw
@Bleyseng yes, let us see what the world looks like in Spring 2021 !
@kroelofsen : in NL you are allowed to have the US spec taillights. That was in the past not allowed, but now it is.
Headlights were US sealed Beams....that was not allowed (unless they give a correct lightpattern in the test, but they did not) so those were replaced with Euro H4 units.
For the indicatorlights (not the sidemarkers) I had to change the lenses for the most easy solution since they also act as drivinglight. Sidemarkers were allowed, they are not blinking on my car, just lights. Good luck ! Ask me in case of issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.