Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introduction of guy and car....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Aug 29 2016, 03:51 AM) *

As mentioned, another company came to do the last polishing on the 914. All small spots and stains were removed by polishing the car.

It took more time than expected, but it looks nice again, just like how it was when it was bought (before the shipping started).

Yes, that is a beetle in the back, it's job was to hold the 914 targaroof during the cleaning :-)

From now on I can start on the work on the 914, and I will create a list of things to do after the first tech checks.
To be continued !

Just to share: Before and after when i got my 75 1.8 FI. Hand rubbing and polishing.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Frankvw
Ok, so I am busy prepping the 914 for the Dutch test by the DMV (called RDW over here) where they will test Identity, structure/damage and the feared technical test where all must work incl the smallest light, wiper and horn etc.

The lights had some issues, I solved that, but next were the drivinglights. I thought I had to disconnect them, but we checked regulations and it is not stated it is not allowed. It is not allowed to project orange light to the back it sais, which it does not really since it is on the fromt/side. So I found some nice driverlights and mounted them (old ones were cracked, rubber too far gone)

Next were the lights in the turnsignal lens. I am not allowed to project orange light to the front while driving, which they do. I thought an easy solution for the test was to turn them around like this:
Click to view attachment
But they do project orange glow anyway on the front of the car while they are mounted upside-down, not allowed, so not an option. We also found out that indicator light color can either be orange or yellow as long as they do not stay on while driving. OR...white ! which can also stay on while driving....

So...I bought clear lenses on evilbay and I think that solves the issue for the test, since I have no colored light on the front (white stays on while driving ) and when using the indicator they stay white (on/off/on) which is allowed according to regulations.
Click to view attachment
I hope they will accept this, actually my worry is when the indicator goes on/off/on/off...in blinkmode when off I have no white drivinglight in this setup...and I should have a drivinglight...I think I can show them I tried to take action and am serious....the instructions are not so clear on this....we will see at the test later. But thinking about it...I do have a driving light when the indicator is in use...the orange one on the side ! well....I guess I have to wait what the judge will say....

Another thing off the to-do list.....one small step closer to book the test ....
Frankvw
Ok, no real big updates, but I managed to get all the electrical little issues solved as good as possible.
I also did replace the 022.133.083 vacuum elbow
(see http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=295563)
and of course the vacuumhoses connected to that.

I also wanted to replace all other vacuumhoses, but it was not so easy to find all correct diameters. it took some time and I had to use some alternatives. example : For the ones going to carcoal-canister-pipes in the engineroom (filter is up front) I ended up using reinforced fuel hose (no strong vacuum there, so should be OK).

Small things to do to get her ready for the big registrion/technical/DMV test, and in the meantime I am reading up in books and this forum to gather knowledge.
Thanks for the support sofar, you are very helpful !
Frankvw
My Santa knew I had a new hobby this year.....i got a copper sparkplug brush, a correct socket for CV bolts AND the butylcord for my rear window !Click to view attachment
Frankvw
Hi, today was a good day for my part-list.
I found a NOS 021 251 171 M
I have a 1.7 original exhaust, which needs an endpipe. this is the endpipe that start in the middle of the exhaust. It is No Longer Available, and the solution would be to buy a later type exhaust with the short endpipe.
I searched a long time, but found it....NOS in Germany, 600 miles away.
Today it arrived. Another part to be taken off from my list !!!!!
Click to view attachment
The original factory sticker is still attached:
Click to view attachment
Happy Saturday smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jan 7 2017, 12:31 PM) *
Hi, today was a good day for my part-list.
I found a NOS 021 251 171 M
I have a 1.7 original exhaust, which needs an endpipe. this is the endpipe that start in the middle of the exhaust. It is No Longer Available, and the solution would be to buy a later type exhaust with the short endpipe.
I searched a long time, but found it....NOS in Germany, 600 miles away.
Today it arrived. Another part to be taken off from my list !!!!!
The original factory sticker is still attached:
Happy Saturday smile.gif

I wonder if there is a market for those?

Someone with the right skills could probably replicate them without much problem.
idea.gif
forrestkhaag
I noticed somewhere along this thread that 914Rubber and PMB shops were disparaged... / or was that a joke?/..

They may be a little high on their pricing but they also, in most cases, are the only source for the products one needs in the 914 world we are bound to. As for Eric's work, it may be the only thing between you and death. I opt for his solution on brakes and other safety solutions every time.

Your car is of a great color. Hopefully the regs in the Netherlands are negotiable. If not, call Trump! poke.gif

beerchug.gif
Frankvw
Hi Forrestkhaag, thanks for the compliment on the color. Not everybody likes it (my wife still is trying to get used to it for example :-) )
I like it !
PS
the word "disparaged"...I had to look it up and I see it is a negative thing. No. In this post they are not mentioned as far as I know.
Frankvw
@SirAndy : yes, they can be fabricated easily, I did ask around when I could not find one, even stainless steel is an option, no problem. Even a simple pipe with 2 bends without the thicker part was an option (cheaper). I found this original NOS one, so I will not go that route anymore.
SirAndy
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jan 7 2017, 12:53 PM) *
I noticed somewhere along this thread that 914Rubber and PMB shops were disparaged... / or was that a joke?/..

confused24.gif
914Sixer
I found 3 NOS exhaust pipes if somebody else needs one.
Frankvw
Well..it sure is time for an update. It has been a while since I worked on the 914. Sometimes life gets in the way of...life :-)
I stayed reading the forum, but did not do a lot on my 914, so it is still not roadworthy.
But now we have a coronacrisis and I have to stay/work from home, all of a sudden I have a little time to tinker with my cars again.
And doing a little work got me motivated again and I have ordered several parts so when they arrive I will do some work on the 914.
I will post some updates of the work, I see there are several new and young members with a 914, maybe it will help or motivate them as well !
Stay healthy and safe !

Frankvw
so, to begin after a long time, the trick is to start with an easy task that gives success to boost the motivation.
Click to view attachment
One of the trunkwheels was missing, and I got one from a 914 owner that had a spare.
Click to view attachment
There is a lot of power on these bars...wow !

so...easy first task, succes....motivation boosted.

While I was in the trunk area, a new targaclip (I could still order it at Porsche NL) and a trunkseal installed, the new style.
Click to view attachment

So, maybe peanuts for most of you, but a great start after a 3 year 914-break for me !
Next are more challenging topics....fuelpump, brakes, wipers etc etc.
To be continued !
Cairo94507
One step at a time will still get you there. Nice job. beerchug.gif
mbseto
Welcome back!
Frankvw
Since I was working on the backside, I saw how dirty the chrome of the backbumper was.
Another easy job that came out OK.
Click to view attachment

A bit of spit and polish and a bit of spraypaint it is already a total difference
Click to view attachment

It is more mirrorring than my rearviewmirror ! smile.gif

Agin an easy job, but one that can be taking from the list.
Waiting for the last parts to come in to start working on the fuelpumpconversion.....
Frankvw
I put on the rear valance again after I took out the little dents and gave it a black spraypaint.
Click to view attachment
Looks like I gave the bumper a brickwrap, but it really became this shiny after the cleaning of it, really happy with the result.
Spoke
The bumper and valence look great.
Frankvw
thanks Spoke !
Frankvw
today a busy 914 day. A small easy task : Wiperarms painted. New wiperblades.
and......a bit more challenging task.
I did replace the 3port fuelpump with a 2port pump setup. I created a separate topic for it so it can help others that want to do this.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=345333
Frankvw
Today another milestone, I replaced the firewall shifter bushing
And I created a tips&tricks topic for it under:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=345742

Click to view attachment
Dion
Frank, glad to see ya back at it. Love the colour.
Also nice write up on the firewall bushing. You’re a close second to @bbrock on the smart-ass comments lol-2.gif Keep posting!
bbrock
QUOTE(Dion @ May 17 2020, 07:02 PM) *

Frank, glad to see ya back at it. Love the colour.
Also nice write up on the firewall bushing. You’re a close second to @bbrock on the smart-ass comments lol-2.gif Keep posting!

Sorry @Dion , you are wrong because he is Dutch and he is the best. That was a classic read. pray.gif
Frankvw
Ok, so on to the next thing on the list. Brakes.....a bit more challenging..
Rear first.....

Click to view attachment
I ordered also the flex hoses for the rear.. They are cheap, but at first I sort of did not want to do them since I read here it is a major PITA job. But looking at them...they really looked old, and skipping this because it is difficult is the wrong approach

Before pic:
Click to view attachment

Rear hose replaced. I have to say...it was actually not much PITA guys !
I moved the fastenerclip sideways so it sticks out on the side and a screwdriver to wiggle and it was out. I was surprised.
Then to loosen the hose it was a bit fiddling under tehre. I was super happy I had safety goggles on, a lot of sand and dirt is falling down from that area if you are trying to get that done. (I am on my back, looking up...car on jackstands..not too much space.
Click to view attachment
Went relatively well....there are more easy jobs, but again...it was not the PITA as I expected.
Interesting to mention...the old hose was spanner 14. I could not see a brand or marking on it. New hose is Bilstein and was spanner 17.

The new caliper is now on with the handbrake attached and with the pads in, but not the spring.
I have to bleed the brakes and set the clearance of the rear pads to the disk first, after that put the springplate in again.
Click to view attachment

So...overall....very happy with how this went.
And since I went through the trouble of the flexhose...I cut the old one to see how it was.
Well....
Click to view attachment

I guess I did the right thing....

I did this on the left and right side, so another thing from the list done !
On to the next thingie on the list !
piratenanner.gif
Frankvw
the difference in looks already is huge. Feels good to put a part like this on the car !
I did not realize it was looking bad, only when you put the new one next to it...
Click to view attachment
SixerJ
The car is looking great and good to see that you have a chance to work on it even if we are in the strangest of times

Just out of interest who did you use for shipping to Europe? You posted information about the mould resolution but nothing about the shipper

Interested as to who you considered and actually ended up using as I'm also considering shipping a car over

Keep the pictures coming
Cairo94507
Nice work and approach to your projects. One at a time and when you wrap it up move on to the next project. Keeps you from going insane. beerchug.gif
Frankvw
Thanks SixerJ !
I used SHIPDEI. I did use them before where I was extremely happy.But I think they did outsource part of this export to another company. I was not so happy with this transport overall but I do not know where it went wrong. But mistakes and issues can happen, it is how they deal with it, right ? And that could have been done way better !
The transport from buyer to port was arranged by myself, and that became a disaster and costed a lot more in the end. I would advice to also give that part to the shipping company and leave it their problem if things do not go as planned.
But it was a great learning experience and next time I will do it better :-)
Frankvw
Another thing done from the list.
Gearboxoil change and while we are at it...the speedodrive seals, inner and outer replaced.
To-Do list is already getting a lot smaller, still some interesting tasks to perform.....
Click to view attachment
Frankvw
a small task this time, but one from the list gone with this.
One was missing and one was broken, but I got some used jackstraps so now I have them. Installed them but not sure how the jack and tools should be under these straps, but they are now secured.Click to view attachment
Dion
Looking great there Frank. Enjoy seeing your posts. I don’t know if there’s a wrong way
with regards to the jack. Mines been apart so long I don’t remember. Have a look at the manual or originality forum. I guess as long as it’s secured and tidy your good to go.
Keep at it. beerchug.gif
Frankvw
Ok, time for the next thing on the list. Removal/disassembly of the front brakes.
Something I kept on moving forward on the list, but since the list is getting shorter, I can almost not do any cherrypicking anymore.
So.....frontbrakes.

I have to say up front that disassembly of the frontcalipers was by far one the most challenging things I have done sofar. I rather do the flexible hoses in the rear again smile.gif

These sucker-pistons were stuck. And that after sitting for 2,5 year or so ? wow, that went fast. I first removed the caliper and watching it sitting on the bench I thought : how can I ever get them out ?
I remounted them on the car and 'kicked' them loose using the brakepedal with a pad in between. then took them off the car again, removed the pad, and with a lot of swearing and blocking and holding and pushing with the airmethod....they came out.

Speed of sound.
I read online they could come flying out using the airmethod and that you have to watch your fingers. Well...all I can say is that I was happy I did not put my finger in between the pistons when one side came out.
Wow. We are talking E=MC2 force kind of thing with the speed of sound. You cannot see it come out, a loud bang is all that tells you it came out, which is of course the breaking of the soundbarrier, that is obvious.

Click to view attachment
Frankvw
Ok, time for the front brakes. In my last post I already took off the calipers and took the pistons out. My ears are still recovering from the loud bang they came out with.....

So....All sorted, cleaned, new parts and seals. ATE brakepiston grease for internals is used. Caliper could not be 'zinced' this time, because of corona they do not accept 'walk-ins' at the moment. But for the rest all redone.

As a quick reminder : This is what it looked like before the start:
Click to view attachment
Wheel could not be turned at this point. Calipers stuck. This car drove and braked when I bought it, standstill did not do it good...that goes very fast I have to say.

Then after the cleaning and repacking and turning etc:
Click to view attachment
Spins already much better. Clean look without the caliper. Shaved look. But we need a caliper.

The new parts for the caliper, pads, hardware and flexline:
Click to view attachment
And I dealt with the 20degree myth smile.gif I had the positioners, so that helped me already 50%

And then all together. You see the new flexline as well in the picture.
Click to view attachment
A very rewarding job. I still have to bleed the brakes, but first the other side must undergo the same procedure, all stuff is prepared, so the other side will be next soon.
It feels really good that after this the wheel spins so freely by hand....yeah baby !
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Aug 12 2020, 01:38 PM) *

As a quick reminder : This is what it looked like before the start:
Click to view attachment
Wheel could not be turned at this point. Calipers stuck. This car drove and braked when I bought it, standstill did not do it good...that goes very fast I have to say.

You need to move to a place with less humidity!
Frankvw
talking about humidity:

BEFORE
Click to view attachment

and AFTER
Click to view attachment

super difference !
Click to view attachment

another rewarding job and another tick on the to-do list !
fiacra
Looks great!
Mikey914
Lookin great, keep it up. beer3.gif
Frankvw
Ok, time for something else !
The Curse Of The Rattling Rear Window

Rattling rear window, so interior is out, and rear window is out.
Old seal between window and car came out hard, in 1 piece. I did not have the 2 small pieces that are below the window on the lower sill, so I guess it was out before at some point in time.
Click to view attachment
Backpad needs some love and care, I will see how to repair it a bit, lower part backside is a bit crusty at some parts.

The old rubber bewteen window and engine lid was not re-usable biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

So, enter the dragon, a new one !
Click to view attachment

to be continued !
brcacti
Good luck with your purchase
welcome.png
I also did what you're doing about fixing many little things when you buy the car. So far I have fixed 25 tiny to small things, mechanic one too to try to get it as perfect as I can. Not perfect but I have a good survivor.
Frankvw
While the interior was out for the re-sticking of the rear window, I noticed that behind the backpad I had some hungry rodents in the past over there.
They were not there for long, no droppings or smell but I guess they were a bit hungry. Porsche wires are a delicacy !
Click to view attachment
Interesting they even chewed total through one wire, they are not thick, but still a challenge for a small rodent you would think. I guess if you are really hungry you also eat copper !

But a new piece is already created, a great little job for a rainy day.
I ordered 'color-correct' wires to work with, at least the colors match up with the original situation.
I did not remember which terminal was 12V so I did use isolated endclamps on all to be sure.
Click to view attachment

So, this was a job NOT on the list. Always a surprise where one job leads to !
porschetub
Wow great progress,I stopped making lists of jobs I just forge on as s#it happens and I'am slowly getting ahead and so happy doing it that way,works for me.
One of my fav colours you have,keep up the good work.
Frankvw
so, rear window is in again, tape across the lower horizontal glass (forgot that first) and the surrounding parts are back in, new seatbelts and also the new wiring for the backpad/interior light (see earlier post where the mice ate it) ....backpad back in....and the test to see if the light did work now....

Funny fact : @DRPHIL914 did his interior light work on the same day as me.
So....same(*) picture as @DRPHIL914 smile.gif
Click to view attachment
(*) not really the same, his came from sierraMadre and my interiorlight was what came with the car and clearly states 'made in mexico' and that is what is really noticable.
No idea what person designed this part, but what was he thinking ?? just put 'made in mexico'it all across the front lense ?? (I guess it is a beetle part)
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Sep 17 2020, 09:36 AM) *

so, rear window is in again, tape across the lower horizontal glass (forgot that first) and the surrounding parts are back in, new seatbelts and also the new wiring for the backpad/interior light (see earlier post where the mice ate it) ....backpad back in....and the test to see if the light did work now....

Funny fact : @DRPHIL914 did his interior light work on the same day as me.
So....same(*) picture as @DRPHIL914 smile.gif
Click to view attachment
(*) not really the same, his came from sierraMadre and my interiorlight was what came with the car and clearly states 'made in mexico' and that is what is really noticable.
No idea what person designed this part, but what was he thinking ?? just put 'made in mexico'it all across the front lense ?? (I guess it is a beetle part)

looks good Frank! i left mine undone for a year, the upholstery guy didn’t cut the hole in the back pad material so i had to get brave enough to cut the hole in vinyl.
fun to complete small projects like that!

Frankvw
@DRPHIL914 (and others) so, the 'made in Mexico' did bother me the whole week. And I sorted it out and bought a used original 914 Hella one. Way better for the ease of mind smile.gif
Made in Germany.
Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Sep 22 2020, 07:38 AM) *

@DRPHIL914 (and others) so, the 'made in Mexico' did bother me the whole week. And I sorted it out and bought a used original 914 Hella one. Way better for the ease of mind smile.gif
Made in Germany.
Click to view attachment

well done! it would not matter to most, but what matters to you is what matters....

now for the trivia of the day, name that tune....
"the lights are one, but no one's home" - name that tune! oh what year, dont google it,
first hint- i am a child of the 80's, and it shows when songs like this pop into my head...

@Frankvw , my car went in yesterday and is getting Xpel treatment to front of car today!
btw the Sierra Madre light i got is a perfect fit, i had 2 other lights that were VW ones that didnt and my original one cracked so wiould not hold the one clip, i could try and JB weld it , but wanted a light in place for the OkteenerPalooza that i am now not going to,
sad.gif
#kidneystonesuck
Frankvw
Another job from the list: Operation H4 (or maybe call it Operation Agent Orange, see below)

Operation H4:
I still had the USA sealed beams in the headlights, and they are not allowed in the Netherlands and since I have to go for the government official testing to get a Dutch registration on the car, I had to change it to H4 units.

It was actually a straight forward job to swap them over, but the small screws that hold the Hella chrome ring were rusted stuck (1 one 1 side, 2 on other side) so I had to drill them out.
Nevertheless....all done and result is there !
Click to view attachment
Small tip for the person who is going to work on his/her headlights: place a small rag on the bottom of the headlight bucket before you take out the small screws. They can disappear in the draintube......

As you can see I have black plastic headlight surroundings, not painted and with 914 nrs in it. I followed the post about the white ones, but these are black and look original.

Oh yeah....Why Operation Agent Orange ?
Because I had to de-leave the headlight buckets, a lot more sand, dirt and leaves than expected in there.... since units, holder and ring were out, easy access to do some vacuumcleaning in there ! Now a clean space again.
Click to view attachment
Slam254

Love the color and love the wheels ! Great score !

and welcome to 914 World

7TPorsh
Did the originals say Made in WEST Germany?
Frankvw
many small to-do's are done, worth a lot to me but not really worth a lot of pictures to you.
Interior work.....I already did some work on the backpad and interiorlight, plus I added new securitybelts (the original ones did not retract in a good way anymore and that is a major thingie on the test that is coming)
plus:
- handbrakelever re-painted
- seat handles re-painted
- placed back carpets, seats and mats
- refitted the gearshiftknob and speakerholders
- new pedal rubber
- new driverdoor rubber
- plastic sills back in place
(it looks like a car again instead of a project smile.gif which motivated a lot)

I also bought a Momo 8002 adapter I came across online, the solid version, to be used later....

After the Dutch inspection/Test end this month I first focus on the issues found (they always find something on an old car of course)
But before I am done to the point to be ready for the test, I still have some work to do........but the to-do list is getting smaller !

@Slam254 Thanks. Wheels are Pacific Italia's, with the 82mm PI caps (I put the caps on my search/wanted-list for some nicer ones)
@7TPorsh I will check the headlightsurrounds for the markings later, they will come off again at some point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.