Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: vintage 911 shift knob
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
michael_oberg
I JUST missed this auction for the exact shift knob I am looking for headbang.gif . Does anyone have one they want to sell, or know any more details? eBay item lists it as 1969 911, does anyone know if this was OEM and what other years I might be able to find it under?

Thanks,

Michael in Boulder

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331876474711

Click to view attachment
brant
Micheal,

I don't think its a factory knob... aftermarket
I used to have one, but think I trashed it years ago
tonight I will double check my stash... if I find it, its yours
mepstein
Amco 901 shift knob. Put a wtb on pelican and especially earlysregistry. I'm guessing $50 for one in very good condition. I have a wood one. I like the retro look.

Edit - I see it sold for $15. Someone got a deal.
tweet
Hello Michael,
That knob may or may not work. These knobs were VW/Porsche authorized accessory knobs made by AMCO in Japan for the American market. They are not leather either. As far as I am aware they all screw on and are locked in place with a counter-nut. They will work on earlier cars like the 356 shifter with the corresponding thread on the shifter. If you can't see the bottom of the knob you won't know if is compatible. The style that fits the 914 are knobs that push on with a crush sleeve like the oem ones do. And those are held in place with a small grub screw. The base of the knob must have the correct diameter to slip onto the shaft of the shifter. The ones you see the most often that fit the 914 have the Porsche crest on them.
michael_oberg
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 22 2016, 12:17 PM) *

Micheal,

I don't think its a factory knob... aftermarket
I used to have one, but think I trashed it years ago
tonight I will double check my stash... if I find it, its yours

Hi Brant! bye1.gif

That sounds really great, thanks as always pray.gif

BTW I might finally be ready to replace the 1.7 with the 1911 you collected parts for (or a 2270 if I miraculously find extra $$...)

I bought the Neway valve seat cutter kit that was recently for sale here (from member Luke M - thanks again!) and have a nice lead on a valve refacer (both needed for my jaguar e-type race car project) - so have most everything I need to (re?) rebuild the 1.8 heads.

I also talked with Nathan and Jordan at Thomas Vintage Motors and they mentioned knowing you through the RMVR! They are impressive folks doing amazing things in their shop, so it was a really fun chat. How's the 914-6?

Michael

michael_oberg
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 22 2016, 12:19 PM) *

Amco 901 shift knob. Put a wtb on pelican and especially earlysregistry. I'm guessing $50 for one in very good condition. I have a wood one. I like the retro look.

Thank you for the suggestions - I see from google images that "amco" is the magic term, so thanks for ID'n it. I like the looks of the wood ones and might just start searching for that version.

QUOTE(tweet @ Jun 22 2016, 12:24 PM) *

Hello Michael,
That knob may or may not work. These knobs were VW/Porsche authorized accessory knobs made by AMCO in Japan for the American market. They are not leather either. As far as I am aware they all screw on and are locked in place with a counter-nut. They will work on earlier cars like the 356 shifter with the corresponding thread on the shifter. If you can't see the bottom of the knob you won't know if is compatible. The style that fits the 914 are knobs that push on with a crush sleeve like the oem ones do. And those are held in place with a small grub screw. The base of the knob must have the correct diameter to slip onto the shaft of the shifter. The ones you see the most often that fit the 914 have the Porsche crest on them.

I have a mill and a lathe so I figure I could cobble something together, but with my backlog of projects if I can't find the exact knob I want I'll pick up one that "just works" - so thank you for the common fitment info.
mepstein
QUOTE(michael_oberg @ Jun 22 2016, 04:38 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 22 2016, 12:19 PM) *

Thank you for the suggestions - I see from google images that "amco" is the magic term, so thanks for ID'n it. I like the looks of the wood ones and might just start searching for that version.

QUOTE(tweet @ Jun 22 2016, 12:24 PM) *

Hello Michael,

I have a mill and a lathe so I figure I could cobble something together, but with my backlog of projects if I can't find the exact knob I want I'll pick up one that "just works" - so thank you for the common fitment info.

Exactly, it probably won't work with a crush washer but if you don't mind a little work in the shop, you can easily make it work.
brant
Micheal,

I'm sorry to say I wasn't able to find that old shift knob
I probably pitched it years ago
(and my wife thinks I never throw anything away.....)

sorry
brant
michael_oberg
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 23 2016, 12:44 PM) *

Micheal,

I'm sorry to say I wasn't able to find that old shift knob
I probably pitched it years ago
(and my wife thinks I never throw anything away.....)

sorry
brant

No problem, thank you so much for looking for me. That experience is exactly why I think I have such a hard time getting rid of stuff myself, I think everything has value and just when I think something doesn't and I get rid of it, the universe laughs and shows me otherwise.
914Sixer
I think I have one on the parts car I just picked up. I will check it out tomorrow afternoon.
914Sixer
I have on the car BUT the sides are not pretty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.