Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zeekman914
Same as always my friend has a VW Bug that is converted to a Baja. It has a stock 1600 with a single solex carb and dual ports. It's exhaust is straight-piped. Anyway we tightened up the rocker to valve stem clearence because the engine was making a tap tap tap noise as it was running on the driver side bank. After tightening them up we started the engine and the noise was even louder. We listened to it with stethascopes( you know the ones for cars) and the noise could be heard on the side of the cylinders, pushrod tubes and the valve cover. Whats wrong?

Thanks
Z
nuke.gif crest.gif
Joseph Mills
I would suggest first that you read the thread by The Capt'n posted recently for valve adjustments. Extremely informative.

Then go back and re-check your settings.

Hopefully, that will get your there. If it persists, you may have other issues.

Keep posting questions and you will get answers. biggrin.gif
nebreitling
dude, put down the tools and step away from the car...

go get a manual. look up the spec valve clearances.

adjust to spec.

a little "tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick" is normal.
Aaron Cox
uh.. did you adjust them with the valves closed??? rolleyes.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I don't mean to imply anything, but is this your first VW valve adjust? Wrongly adjusted valves can cause major engine damage. Please tell us what you did?
zeekman914
Yes it is my first adjustment. My friend got a book for a 1200 thinking that a 1200 and a 1600 would be the same setup. WRONG! So lukeily the valves are just a tad looser. I will go tell him to take it easy.
TheCabinetmaker
I'm not that well versed on type I's, but it "should" be the same for 1200 0r 1600.

Go here and read it 5 times. If it still doesn't make sense, get someone to do it and let you observe. Pricless!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=28758

Best Regards and Good Luck!
Dave_Darling
I have found that the "feel" is not that easy to describe. I read and read and read, and the first time I did a valve adjust I got all of the valves way too loose. (Old Honda Accord, thankfully--I wasn't about to try it first on my 914!!!) So a buddy who has done valve adjusts stopped by, and got one set for me. I checked it after he was done, and that gave me the "feel" for just how tight the valve and adjuster should be on the feeler gauge.

...I haven't killed any motors yet... wink.gif

Anyway, that's what I suggest you do. Get someone who knows how to adjust valves over, and have them set one for you. Then you check it, and see how the gauge feels in the gap.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Apr 7 2005, 06:43 PM)

...I haven't killed any motors yet... wink.gif

--DD

whew!!!! laugh.gif
Dave_Darling
Well, I did bend a pushrod in Jan Mayo's car at the last MUSR. And Yoder still hasn't forgiven me for that 1st-R "upshift" at one of the previous MUSRs... But those were my "driving" technique, not from working on the car... wink.gif

--DD
Trekkor
Aren't all the air cooler's set at .006?

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.