Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In Phoenix...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
Went searching for parts this morning and saw a orange 914, black bumpers with historic plates on it, got my parts and was on my way. A few miles later he was following me a few cars back on 19th Ave/Peoria. BBS member?

Next, I was hunting through the Autotrader, pretending I had money to burn and saw this:

1970 PORSCHE, ran great, needs clutch, starter, rear struts, interior good condition, make offer - what do you think this can be had for? 1970 911T coupe. Hmm tax return is coming....
ArtechnikA
"ran" ? be afraid, be very afraid... needs a clutch *and* a starter ? sounds suspiciously like serious driveability / poor start issues before itr "quit running" but -- all 35-year-old Porsches probably need clutches and starters... 911's don't really have "struts" in back - it's a damper/torsion bar/ semi-trailing arm suspension.

the black engine grille is not original (should be chrome...)

a '70T was a carbureted, 2,2-liter no-piston-squirter 125 DIN HP magnesium-case engine.

the cars were pretty light but a '70T engine is probably not where you'd choose to start if you wanted to uprate.

i'd guess $3500 tops, but people with cars like this tend to think they're priceless historic sports cars worth tens of thousands... maybe $500 more if you can get the engine to light up and it sounds decent...
Root_Werks
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Apr 7 2005, 12:15 PM)
"ran" ? be afraid, be very afraid... needs a clutch *and* a starter ? sounds suspiciously like serious driveability / poor start issues before itr "quit running" but -- all 35-year-old Porsches probably need clutches and starters... 911's don't really have "struts" in back - it's a damper/torsion bar/ semi-trailing arm suspension.

the black engine grille is not original (should be chrome...)

a '70T was a carbureted, 2,2-liter no-piston-squirter 125 DIN HP magnesium-case engine.

the cars were pretty light but a '70T engine is probably not where you'd choose to start if you wanted to uprate.

i'd guess $3500 tops, but people with cars like this tend to think they're priceless historic sports cars worth tens of thousands... maybe $500 more if you can get the engine to light up and it sounds decent...

agree.gif I picked up a 73' 911T that looked just like that one with the 915 gear box for $3k about 20 months ago. Sold it a littl while later. That one I would think should pull in $2k if there isn't much rust.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Apr 7 2005, 03:19 PM)
I picked up a 73' 911T that looked just like that one with the 915 gear box for $3k...

many refinements in the '73...

2,4 liters, piston squirters, either MFI or weird first-edition CIS (if it was a '73.5), 915 with improved mount, detail improvements in the oil tank... 73.5 cases often command a bit of a premium because they are 7R cases (the last edition of the magnesium case) but they have the 92mm 2,2/2,4 cylinder spigot bore.

last year of the long-hood cars, for those who care about such things...
TravisNeff
That is what I am thinking around about price. And yes Rich, timeless classic...

Obviously the thing has been sitting for a long time from the verbige in the ad, no plates either. Sounds like a lot of "I think it needs this or something?!?". Sounds like a seller that is either at the end of their ropes or doesn't know much about these cars.

What catches my eye is if it is a solid tub and all there. Rust is supect as well as the rear strut statement, could be torsion bar mount failure or something sort of gastly like that. But it looks like it might be a neat stating point to a RS lookalike. If the engine is toast, I see ads for early T engines for about a grand and a half, if the car can be had for $2500 that may work out to be a nice deal (in the end). But of course they are all 20K Porsches, whether you buy them for that much or not...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.