Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: blocking users
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
i have concluded that there are some users i'd just as soon not read posts from.
i'm sure there are people who don't care what i have to say.

a couple of other boards similar to this one have a "block user/hide posts" button.
we need one.

i think it'd also be a useful administrative tool...
if a user is blocked by a significant portion of the active users, there may be a cause for administrative intervention.

i get hundreds of email messages a day from a variety of lists and forums. of the thousands of subscribers to all those lists, i only ship emails from half a dozen addresses to my 'special' folder.
mikerose
As a long time user I would like this too..... I might not have a lot to say but some people say a lot of just plain crap. Thanks.

Mike cool_shades.gif
Mueller
agree.gif

ditto to the above
Part Pricer
agree.gif

It would make visiting the 914 Club a more pleasant experience.

They added the "Ignore User" function in later versions of IPB.

SirAndy
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ Apr 11 2005, 04:22 AM)
They added the "Ignore User" function in later versions of IPB.

except, with all the custom coding we did to this site, upgrading to a newer version would be a PITB ...

we are, however, looking into new alternative BBS software packages that will allow us to scale better in the future.

i will put this request on the "would like to have" list ...
cool.gif Andy
Series9
Hold on....let me go to the garage to get a flat-head screwdriver to give you so you can pry your panties out of your crack.

Censorship is crap (I mean bullshit).
LuckieO
QUOTE (914RS @ May 11 2005, 11:50 PM)
Hold on....let me go to the garage to get a flat-head screwdriver to give you so you can pry your panties out of your crack.

I apologize for my husband...oh, wait he's right!
Leo Imperial
finger.gif pissoff.gif agree.gif
mikerose
Censorship is crap (I mean bullshit). Yes but 5000 posts is 30 days is way over the top. Just my .02

cool_shades.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (914RS @ May 12 2005, 03:50 AM)

i'm not interested in censoring anyone. say what you like.

but there are some people that i would prefer to ignore. if other people like to read posts from those individuals, i'm cool with that. i don't wish to impose my will on anyone.

but there are people who, i have learned, have nothing of technical interest to contribute, and whose off-topic comments i similarly have learned that i simply do not appreciate. if -you- appreciate it, great! enjoy! YOU should be able to say what you want, and see what you want.
Rusty
QUOTE (914RS @ May 12 2005, 02:50 AM)

Joe, Luckie and Leo,

I respectfully disagree. I know and trust Rich. He's a reasonable guy. Rich doesn't want to censor anyone... he just wants the freedom to ignore some things.

Just because you choose not to watch "X show" on tv, or read "Y type" of magazines, or view "Z type" of movies at the theatre... doesn't make your choices censorship.

It's personal choice, not censorship.

Censorship would be Rich asking us to block posts from "User R", "User M" and "User H" so that nobody could see them.

But Andy is right. There's lots of custom code plugged into the site. Lots of it is stuff people asked for, and upgrading to the next version of IPB will break a lot of things that he'll have to scramble to fix. So, the next step has to be carefully planned and tested before any fielding.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Part Pricer

I decided to delete my other post about this and move it here for the people that may be interested. Hopefully, this will remain civil.

If you would like the capability of ignoring users;
If you are using Firefox as your browser;

You can download and install this extension (right-click and save to your machine). This is version 0.1.0.2. Unfortunately, if you installed the previous version of this extension, you will have to uninstall that one before you install the new version. (This has been fixed. From this version on, new versions will simply update themselves.)

After you have downloaded the file, simply drag it into Firefox and the extension will install. Then close and restart Firefox.

This version fixes a problem that occured when you were following the navigational arrows (first unread post, last post, etc.)

Respectfuly submitted.
Dr. Roger
Quote:
Our forum has got all you need for your hard to kick 914 habit
Not only is it the busiest one you'll find on the net, with tons of technical info and support, but it's also the coolest place to just hang out with your 914 friends.
Since we feel we're all adults, our forum has a very low moderation level (heck, we don't even have a 'bad words' filter!) and it is vendor-independent.
ยป Take me to the forum...

Maybe there should be a general bullshi* forum so all of the non-technical stuff can go there and will not offend the Q&A Garage section crowd.

I really like that this website is "all inclusive". Something for everyone.

That's my .02. biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ May 18 2005, 04:34 PM)
Maybe there should be a general bullshi* forum so all of the non-technical stuff can go there and will not offend the Q&A Garage section crowd.

I really like that this website is "all inclusive". Something for everyone.

i have no problems with the current mix of on- and off-topic stuff, especially when it's labelled appropriately.

my problem is with specific people.

i am NOT going to name any names, but i will mention that the VERY few people i have even thought of adding to MY PERSONAL 'ignore list' are probably not who you might think.

those people are entitled to their opinions and if other people feel that those opinions bring them value, great ! they just detract from MY PERSONAL experience. it's not just a matter of creating yet more sections.
Gint
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ May 18 2005, 02:34 PM)

I really like that this website is "all inclusive".  Something for everyone.

That's my .02.   biggrin.gif

We have decided over and over again to try not to segregate forums too much. We want to keep everyone in the garage, where all the fun is. LOL

You haven't figured out yet where the Sand Box is have you? biggrin.gif PM me if you haven't and I'll clue you in. I have a real good idea that you'd fit in just fine over there.
iiibdsiil
I hope I am not on anyones shit list.

I understand it would be nice to be able to block, but for the one or two people I would probably block, I just scroll right on past their message and don't even stop to see what they said.

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Part Pricer @ May 18 2005, 10:34 AM)
You can download and install this extension (right-click and save to your machine). This is version 0.1.0.2.

new computer, new FireFox install (1,5).
alas - this doesn't install on 1,5 although it still works great on my home machine with 1,4 ...

can we get an update??

posters i'd forgottan about are showing up again...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.