Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O.T. favorite band/musician
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
scotty b
Since we have been on the "getting to know you " topics las of late, I thought I would throw my ? into the ring. Being a musician (percussion, piano didgeridoo) I'm always curious what my friends and cohorts favorite bands or musicians are. It always seems to be a hard decision so feel free to post more than one.

So far tonight I have listend to Marcus Roberts and Dream Theater, but my by far favorite would be : The Police, with Primus being a close 2nd , but then theres Jimi,and Carlos, and Monk, and Rammstein, and........ wacko.gif
CptTripps
I'm all over the place...

Diana Krall, Cannonball Aderly, Miles Davis, Kid Rock, Run-DMC, Lionel Richie, Christy Barron, Jay-Z, Aerosmith...

You name it, it's on my iPod.
TimT
Jerry tunez.gif
ArtechnikA
Tangerine Dream, Miles Davis, Loreena McKinnett ...
MattR
I think there was a grande thread about this recently, but my favorite bands: Operation Ivy, Minor Threat, Modest Mouse, and Thrice are up there.
spare time toys
Moon Marten, Elvis Costello, AC/DC, B52s, DEVO, Talking Heads,Alice in Chains, Jan and Dean, Beach Boys, ELVIS. clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif I cant stand the Beatles barf.gif
skline
Ok, I am old so dont laugh, I like Matchbox 20, George Strait, Tracy Bird, Hoobastank, Boston, Rush, Santana, Styx, StrayCats, Frampton, Edwin McCain and many others. That should give you an idea of what I like. I have also been knows to gell out listening to Gershwin, Montovani, Dean Martin, Glen Miller, Frank Sinatra, and stuff like that.

Absolutely no RAP what so ever!!!
john rogers
Hound Dog Taylor and most other slide guitar players.
skline
I think there is a problem with the board, it keeps getting fatal errors on my end
SpecialK
Anything but Country Western barf.gif

Depends on the mood.

Disturbed, Saliva, Linkin Park, Metallica, etc....while workin' in the garage (wife HATES it), it helps mask the 'french' while working on the car.

Any old Motown...anytime.

Most rock from 1963 - present

and James Taylor's Greatest Hits for that last beer of the night on a 3-day weekend camping trip. beer.gif
scotty b
QUOTE (skline @ Apr 7 2005, 05:37 PM)
I think there is a problem with the board, it keeps getting fatal errors on my end

I've had a couple of threads I read previously, open up blank. Oh and I was a HUGE Rush fan and still am. They have done a couple of crappy albums though. (early - mid 90's) You really need to get the Rush In Rio dvd's if you havn't. Freakin awesome. It is there first trip there so they do alot of older songs. aktion035.gif
jgiroux67
Well there is soooooo many bands/artist that I like and listen so it's kinda hard to single out a couple. As far as being a fan, Im a biggest fan of IRON MAIDEN.

I'm mostly metal and guitar shredders but aside from that I realy like the Smashing Pumpkins, Belle & Sebastian, Modest Mouse, Morrissey/Smiths, Bjork, David Bowie, Tom Petty.

Oh ya, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Paganini and then someone who should be on everyones list, BOB DYLAN!
jd74914
Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynard, Eric Clapton, and tons of other classic rock guys. I also like jazz, especially Quincy Jones (his song Exodus is my alltime favorite jazz song) and Charlie Parker and Charles Mingus
Sparky
Jimi. SRV, Satriani, Clapton, Via.... I'm a guitarist and can't seem to get enough of the Hendrix sound. My own still is very Hendrix and Vaughan influenced. I also really dig "technique" oriented guitarist, Like Eric Johnson and Tom Scholz and Yngwie.

Mike D.
jgiroux67
If your into technique oriented guitarist then listen to Paul Gilbert, Nuno Bettencourt, Michael Angelo Batio, Vinnie Moore, and I've heard good things about Rusty Cooley, Joe Stump and Tom Hess but havent heard them yet.
Oh ya and Yngwie is AMAZING!
CptTripps
I forgot to mention...when I'm working on the 914 in the garage, I'm listening to the 70s station 100% of the time. I pretend I'm a Porsche mechanic in the 70s. biggrin.gif

Hoping to get my car back in the mood...
Sparky
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Apr 7 2005, 06:08 PM)
I forgot to mention...when I'm working on the 914 in the garage, I'm listening to the 70s station 100% of the time. I pretend I'm a Porsche mechanic in the 70s. biggrin.gif

When I'm trying to get the car in "The Mood" I play Barry White....

I can't picture Nuno as a technique guitarist the whole Extrme thing gets in the way. I met him several times while I was at Berkley, he is awesome but just not the same caliber as Yngwie (then again who is?) I could keep going on, Rhoades, Allman, Betts.

Thats it I'm abusing my strat when I get home tonight....

My best,
Mike D. drunk.gif
jd74914

Thats really funny. I thought I was the only one who did that. All my friends think I'm crazy when they work with me because of the 70's music. cool.gif
scotty b

When I listen to the radio it is always either talk radio or the oldies (50's,60's & 70's) station. I can't stand most of what gets played on the rock stations, and I'm a big metal fan, aktion035.gif but that crap on the radio is NOT metal flipa.gif
riverman
Daniel Lanois, Tragically Hip, U2, Simple Minds, Peter Gabriel, Jack Johnson amongst many others.
JerryP

My teen angst BS belonged to Husker Du, Social D then Dinosaur Jr. and that whole genre. Been all the way to the other side with Willie Nelson, Django Reinhardt, Los Lobos, Raul Malo

Recently....Cracker, Cake, Kirsty McCall. The deeper I dig into their obscure songs, the cooler these bands become to me. Not for everybody I'm sure.

I also, unexplainably, like AC/DC more now than when I was supposed to, that being 12 years old. Go figure.
iamchappy
Cant say I have a favorite, to many variables with music. I like most from classical to hip hop, jazz or rock, reggae to fusion, merle and the other legends of country.
But I never get tired of listening to the DEAD......Jerry.
jimtab
QUOTE (TimT @ Apr 7 2005, 05:26 PM)
Jerry tunez.gif

Come on he said MUSICIAN..... happy11.gif
iamchappy
Ok then John McLaughlin, and Frank Zappa.
jimtab
QUOTE (iamchappy @ Apr 7 2005, 07:30 PM)
Ok then John McLaughlin, and Frank Zappa.

Ok, I can see that....for me Lennon/Beatles, old Motown, Jimi, Eric, Carlos, John Hammond, Lady Day, Nina Simone....
andys
Pretty diverse crowd here, yet somehow quite similar in many ways. For me, anything but top 40! I'm kinda old, so I go back pretty far.......sat on the floor at the Shrine Auditorium watching the original Fleetwod Mac with Peter Green......it used to be called Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.....Great blues guitarist (wrote Black Magic Woman)! CSN at free concerts in Griffith Park, and the whole LA rock scene of the '60's (not that I really remember any of it, wink-wink). Anyway, everything from Diana Krall (eh, sparky) to Van Morrison, etc, etc.

Andy
VegasRacer
I've got a long, long, long list of favorites. #1 on the list is David Bowie. Others in the top 10 include: Todd Rundgren, Joe Jackson, Elvis Costello, Joni Mitchell, No Doubt, Steeley Dan, The Beatles, Jimmy Hendrix, Frank Zappa, The Ramones, Aerosmith, and many more.

OK. So that is more than 10. (plus I left out a whole bunch) So shoot me.
It all depends on the mood I am in, or the mood I want to be in.
Rock on aktion035.gif
RoadGlue
If you've got a strong stomach, you can check out a few of the songs I've put together at http://www.sonic.net/randyw/music <-- I made them using Dug Wright's (another 914 guy) software, Riffworks - http://www.sonomawireworks.com/

I listen to a lot of bands, but my music staples are Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Gary Numan, Project Pitchfork, Legendary Pink Dots, Ween, Tear Garden, Skinny Puppy, The Beach Boy's Pet Sounds album, The Blackheart Procession, The Melvins, etc etc.

Bleyseng
QUOTE (MattR @ Apr 7 2005, 05:29 PM)
I think there was a grande thread about this recently, but my favorite bands: Operation Ivy, Minor Threat, Modest Mouse, and Thrice are up there.

My daughter went to school with Eric Judy of Modest Mouse. I saw them play in a fire station for a HS dance once..hehe even then they were good.

I still listen to the Cure, Jimi, and lots of World music-Tango, Latin, Carrib, Jamacian, Afro beats....

Geoff mueba.gif
74GoKart
The Floyd does it for me. Put in an early bootleg and it makes for a perfect summer evening drive.
Gustl
I like lots of various bands, depending on mood - but some all-time favorites are Pink Floyd, Sting, Billy Joel, ABBA, Status Quo, ...
ben1440
most respected: definitely kanye west

he is an amazing musician/song writer. he has been making beats for people for years and finally is getting respect. i highly respect jay-z also. gotta keep it real with micheal jackson of course. thriller? that will never be touched. on the other side of the spectrum underoath and coheed and cambria are both amazing
jgiroux67
As far as hip hop goes nothing tops Wu-Tang Clan or Nas, but I havent listend to that stuff for years.
Rand
I'm a drummer. My most recent band is ChanceTwo.

I love music. Almost anything but rap, country, or opera. But my favorite music has rock at the core. From classic, to 80s metal, to progressive. Also good jazz/fusion.

Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Fastway, Dave Matthews, Dave Weckl, Led Zeppelin, Planet X, Yngwie Malmsteen, Scorpions, Vital Tech Tones, Whitesnake, to name a few.

The most amazing live show I've seen was Mike Stern (phenomenal guitarist), with Dave Weckl (one of my favorite drummers), and Victor Wooten (my absolute favorite bassist).
mrobin
as with every one else i have a bunch of music/musicans that i like..

my favorite would be WEATHER REPORT...
MecGen
Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Can I get your hand to write on
Just a piece of lead to bite on
What am I to fly my kite on
Do you want to flash your light on
Take a look its on display - for you
Coming down no not today

Did you meet your fortune teller
Get it off with no propellor
Do it up it's always stellar
What a way to finally smell her
Pick it up it's not to strong - for you
Take a piece and pass it on

Riddlin on liberator
Find a way to be a skater
Rev it up to levitator
Super mainly aviator
Take a look its on display - for you
Coming down no not today

Fly away on my Zephyr
I feel it more then ever
And in this perfect weather
We'll find a place together

In the water where the scent of my emotion
All the world will pass me by
Fly away on my Zephyr
We're gonna live forever
Forever

I have 1200+ mp3, in my younger days I saw everything that came to town. Favorite story...my bro come home and asks me if I want to see a new up and comming metal band, we go to the transformed movie theater, 200 person max, band came out and kicked ass, this was before thier first album, Metalica. Lars at this time still had problems with his english (spoke German), the newer Metalica fans never will see the real group. I stopped listening after the 3rd album.
Regards
Joe

party.gif
Hammy
Music.... idea.gif Black Flag, Chili Peppers, Abreaction, Matt Murray, Smashing Pumpkins, Minor Threat, Neil Young, Jimi, Saccharine Trust aktion035.gif And then I like classical and a lot of jazz music... but CANNOT stand all this new mainstream crap noise they're claiming is music fighting19.gif
URY914
I have a lot of favs, but I keep coming back to Tony Orlando and Dawn.

"Tie a Yellow Ribbon" and "Knock Three Times" pray.gif

Paul
Sparky
QUOTE (andys @ Apr 7 2005, 07:58 PM)
Pretty diverse crowd here, yet somehow quite similar in many ways. For me, anything but top 40! I'm kinda old, so I go back pretty far.......sat on the floor at the Shrine Auditorium watching the original Fleetwod Mac with Peter Green......it used to be called Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.....Great blues guitarist (wrote Black Magic Woman)! CSN at free concerts in Griffith Park, and the whole LA rock scene of the '60's (not that I really remember any of it, wink-wink). Anyway, everything from Diana Krall (eh, sparky) to Van Morrison, etc, etc.

Andy

Diana Krall, YUMM!! But one of my all time favorites from Berklee... Susan Tedeschi. But then again we used abuse each other verbally a couple of times a week. She has such amazing chops. And such killer eyes wub.gif

My best!
Mike D.
scotty b
I'm noticing Jimi and Miles are very popular with all of us, and am pleasantly surprised to see so many wiht varying taste I listen to everything from classical to hardcore metal and sometimes feel like a complete freak when I buy cd's. Get some weird looks when I have a stack that includes Dvorzak,Bela Fleck,Johnny Cash, and Mushroomhead confused24.gif I guess most people listen to one type of music only.Losers laugh.gif
balljoint
Lyle Lovett for the genius mix of blues/country/jazz and humour. The Tragically Hip for the concerts and the stories told in the middle of songs like "Highway Girl". The Odds for their satirical pop style and gratuitous use of the F word.
Marvin Gaye is for cruising country roads in early Spring with the windows down and the heat up. Dwight Yoakam and every Elvis tune he covers. J. Hendrix for "Little Wing" and all of the amazing concert tapes I have. Stevie Ray Vaughn, again for "Little Wing".

I like any genre, I just like good music.

TheCabinetmaker
I've been a singer/song writer/guitarist/violinist/ all my life. The influences have been all over the charts.

Just my personal opinion;
Best song writer: Carol King, & Woody Guthrie
Best poet: Bob Dylan
Best singer: Frank Sinatra
Best rock & roll: The Doobies
Best Guitarist: Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton, & Steve Pryor
Best Blues: Stevie Ray Vaughn
Best country: Merle Haggert(sp)
tat2dphreak
Black Sabbath, Johnny Cash, Nine inch nails, The Ramones, Metallica, White Stripes, less than Jake...

been listening to a lot of green day and Bowling for soup lately too, and I've gotten into some indie bands(modest mouse, Franz Ferdinand, Bright Eyes, the Killers, the Music)

I don't listen to much Hip hop, but every now and then I listen to some Dre, Jay-z(the collision course with Linkin park is bad ass!!), and Ludacris...

I carry my 20GB ipod everywhere, and it's full, and doesn't hold 1/2 of my collection...
charlesmac
well, lately my head has been filled with bach, haydn, persichetti, and enesco, because those are the pieces i'm playing on my graduate trumpet recital in 2 weeks.
i listen to just about anything except country and rap, although i do like a little eric b. and rakim, and some of the early hip hop, the newer stuff just doesn't agree with me. but the one band i could listen to anytime is Led Zeppelin. ok, well maybe Tower of Power too.

charles
ninefourteener
My favorite...... without exception..... is Marty Friedman.

He started out in a duo with Jason Becker, and did a couple solo albums..... mostly guitar shred metal stuff... very cool.

Spent several years with Megadeth as the lead guitarist...... and definately gained popularity.

Wrote my favorite piece of music EVER during his time with Megadeth..... a piece called "Scenes"

Imagine Guitar shred Metal, combined with "ENYA", combined with classic oriental guitar........ AMAZING!!!

I highly recomment to ANYONE who even remotely likes the guitar.... to pick up "Scenes"

Sure... there are "better" guitarists out there (Satriani, Malmsteen, Vai, etc)..... but there is NOTHING out there that is as original as that album..... its incredible

beerchug.gif
jimtab
QUOTE (Sparky @ Apr 8 2005, 04:32 AM)
QUOTE (andys @ Apr 7 2005, 07:58 PM)

Andy

Diana Krall, YUMM!! But one of my all time favorites from Berklee... Susan Tedeschi. But then again we used abuse each other verbally a couple of times a week. She has such amazing chops. And such killer eyes wub.gif

My best!
Mike D.

agree.gif Susan I think is the kind of woman who could teach you a lot about yourself....
SP9146
Rolling Stones of course. The songs, the history, the talent, the longevity. I've seen them live maybe 7 or 8 times, last time about a year ago in LA at Staples center. What a show. They played flawlessly for 2 hours and you know all of the songs.

The most impressive thing is that these guys are 60 now and play like they did 30 years ago. Mick, Keith, Ron, Charlie they're all still in the band.

I also like 70s / 80s, faves are Duran Duran, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac.

Newer stuff I like Gus Gus, Scissor Sisters, Thievery Corporation.

I got an iPod mini in Dec. and have all of these artists on the thing. Love using it in the car, it’s like having a 100 CDs and a remote control to play 'em. Can’t wait for the car companies to figure out how to let you "dock" the iPod and run it by a remote control that mimics the iPod interface.

type47
currently: Bill Kirchen
before him: Jerry Garcia
before him: duane allman
before him: eric clapton
before him: i forget, that was 20 years ago.......
djm914-6
I'm also a '70s fan. I grew up listening to it on my Dad's radio. He's the one that told me BOSTON can only be listened to loud.

Other than that, I like:
Jan Hammer (instrumental keyboard), Chuck Mangione, the Corrs, Alabama, Reba Mcentire, Tim McGraw, Waylon Jennings, ABBA, Blondie, Simon & Garfunkel, Enya, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi Fleetwood Mac, John Gorka, U2, ZZ Top and my favorite is Bubba (Jimmy Buffett!!)

Lately I've been listening to 12 Stones, Kuttless, Jeremy Camp, Randy Travis, Rebecca St. James and Third Day. Ya know, this stuff aint bad.

I think I'm tone deff, so I usually go more for lyrics than the music behind them.
kart54
If you drive a 914 and you even occasionally take the top off has to be Jimmy Buffett- Rag Top Day.

Other than that, Keith Urban, Kenney Chesney, Dishwalla, Toad the wet sprocket, Joe Sample, Aaron Neville, Buckwheat Zydeco, Carole King, Eric Clapton, Jack Johnson, Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Diana Krall, Santana, Rod Stewart, Humble Pie, Wallflowers and Boz Scaggs.

If you haven't heard Boz Scaggs in a few years he is now a blues guitarist right up there with Clapton and Carlos Santana he just chooses not to tour or put out much in the way of albums. I was dragged to a concert by a friend and came away absolutely amazed by his ability. Never would have thought that pop could be turned into such incredible blues.

Went Tuesday to the Santa Barbara County bowl for the sold out Jimmy Buffett show. AMAZING, played 3 hours without almost no break and the crowd was still screaming for more.
Randy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.