Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally - GT project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Mitox
Finally starting my 914-6 GT project after waiting a couple decades. The infection hit me after driving a 911 my employer owned, so I found a '69 912 that I drive for five years until I sold it. Since then, I have been waiting to build a 914-6 GT. John Forbes helped find the starting point for me in October 2015: a white '76 with flares.
G e o r g e
welcome.png

looks like a nice starting point

Mitox
So, after many months, work finally begins in the GT. Heinz Peters is helping out with the body work and prep for paint. Found that the flares were lapped and welded, so the work begins there cutting and butt welding. One side was stripped to reveal the two fenders; only found a couple small spots of rust at the jack point.
Mitox
Hopefully this is all of the rust there is- one can hope. Next week I'll be removing the dash, and starting to strip the flloor, so more to come.
JRust
Welcome & looks like your starting it right! What are you doing drivetrain wise
Mitox
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 26 2016, 10:46 PM) *

Welcome & looks like your starting it right! What are you doing drivetrain wise

I found a 3.2 out of a wrecked '88 to slip in there.
Cairo94507
Excellent. This should be nice build thread. Nice looking car to being with. The fact that you are correcting the flare installation speaks to the level of detail you are willing to go through to make the car right. smilie_pokal.gif
Mitox
One fender is nearly complete. Still need to fill in a few pin holes in the seam, and needs a little shaping.
Mitox
Heinz is starting to block the curves todayClick to view attachment
Mitox
Disassembly continued today; removed the windshield, tank, some of the ventilation system and more trim work. While I did the easy work, Heinz started working the front flare correcting the weld and shaping the fender better.
Mueller
Awesome...action shot!
Cairo94507
Man, the front of that driver's side front fender looks a little rough. I know he hasn't started on that yet. Nice progress.
Mitox
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 1 2016, 11:02 PM) *

Man, the front of that driver's side front fender looks a little rough. I know he hasn't started on that yet. Nice progress.

Yeah, that is the one area found so far that looks like it was hit at some time in the past. Thinking about cutting it out and grafting in a section from a donor; may be easier than fixing all of the wrinkles.
Mitox
I'm hoping to get some wisdom from those in the know. I am debating my options for the front suspension. Should I just change the struts to early 911 parts, or should I change everything out to SC or Carrera parts?

Any and all thoughts are welcome. Thanks

This post was moved to another thread.
Mitox
Third fender is now complete. I'm not sure where these flares came from, but they needed a tremendous amount of reshaping.
Mitox
Time for an update. All four corners are complete, but the drivers side signal lite area needed to be replace (the original has been crushed sometime in the past). I stripped the floors inside - they're near perfect with no rust issues, so I'm happy with the progress there. Heinz has improved the front hood gaps significantly; can't wait to see it in person this weekend, but I have some pics to get me excited.
Cairo94507
That looks beautiful. Your man definitely knows what he is doing. The gap between the hood and fenders looks outstanding.
Mitox
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 29 2016, 09:49 PM) *

That looks beautiful. Your man definitely knows what he is doing. The gap between the hood and fenders looks outstanding.

I'm very happy with Heinz' work; when it is painted and looking beautiful he will deserve the credit.
EdwardBlume
I dig those flares! Keeping it white?
Mitox
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 29 2016, 11:57 PM) *

I dig those flares! Keeping it white?

Well, I'm having some trouble deciding on color. I want to keep the original color, but white is boring to me. I may go with green; if I do it will be the 2008 Green, or Viper green.
falcor75
Put the SC struts in the front. The lower balljoint mount on the early 911's was upgraded to the later version in 1973? (just learned this myself as I need to change my struts)
Mitox
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Aug 30 2016, 09:18 AM) *

Put the SC struts in the front. The lower balljoint mount on the early 911's was upgraded to the later version in 1973? (just learned this myself as I need to change my struts)

Thanks for the heads up; currently the plan is to swap in a full SC front suspension.
Mitox
piratenanner.gif
The 914 is beginning to look like a GT now. White epoxy was applied last evening. It is looking fine, and is getting a lot closer to going to a paint shop for the green.
Mitox
I have a question for those much more knowledgeable than I.

While stripping the bottom of the 914, I noticed the lip around the inside of the GT flares. They are about 5/8" wide; this looks too wide.

Does anyone know the correct width?

I'm thinking about 3/8" would look OK.
jmitro
I don't know the "correct" width, but I rolled mine in with a hammer. Smoother and about 1/4-1/2" more tire clearance
Mitox
QUOTE(jmitro @ Feb 1 2017, 08:30 PM) *

I don't know the "correct" width, but I rolled mine in with a hammer. Smoother and about 1/4-1/2" more tire clearance

I think the rolled look may be better even if I trim it shorter. The lip in currently angled into the wheel opening rather than away from it as it would be if rolled.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Mitox @ Feb 1 2017, 07:59 PM) *

While stripping the bottom of the 914, I noticed the lip around the inside of the GT flares. They are about 5/8" wide; this looks too wide.

Yes, they are wide and irregular.
I'm going to use a stock lip as a reference.
It will take time and patience.
Your car is white and you are going to paint it green.
My steel flare GT project started life Palma green and I want to go white !!!
You're doing a beautiful job.
Mitox
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 1 2017, 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Mitox @ Feb 1 2017, 07:59 PM) *

Yes, they are wide and irregular.
I'm going to use a stock lip as a reference.
It will take time and patience.
Your car is white and you are going to paint it green.
My steel flare GT project started life Palma green and I want to go white !!!
You're doing a beautiful job.

I still think about staying white. Guess I'll make the final decision a day before it gets painted.

As for the fender lips, I'll find an older Porsche somewhere and measure it.
forrestkhaag
My lovely wife is an x-NYWS stockbroker,m&a manager for a fortune 5 firm / and today sees the uptick in a 914 conversion project if properly undertaken. go. Now is the time.

I have converted 3.2 K 914 in AZ into a 60-+ asset in CA and not for sale.. It is a thing to do now.. but not for the faint of heart...

WTF.gif
krazykonrad
I still think about staying white. Guess I'll make the final decision a day before it gets painted.

[/quote]

Signal orange is the awesome-est!

Click to view attachment

My $0.02
Mitox
Pretty sure I'm going green. Wish I knew exactly what color these two cars are.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jmill
You've got emerald, viper, Conda and Zambezi green.
Chris H.
Those appear to be Conda Green. L2626 is the code I think.
raynekat
Bottom one looks like viper green.
jmill
Some pics.
Larmo63
Viper Green is siiiiiiiiiick.

The #19 car color wins.

ConeDodger
The replica flares have more "flange" than the original factory GT flares. McMark clearances mine a bit to fit the rear tires. In the front, it's not a problem. I'll edit in a picture from my project thread in a minute or two...

Ok, here are before and after pictures of my rear flares. Before would tear up sidewalls. After? Just right!
Mitox
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 3 2017, 12:44 AM) *

The replica flares have more "flange" than the original factory GT flares. McMark clearances mine a bit to fit the rear tires. In the front, it's not a problem. I'll edit in a picture from my project thread in a minute or two...

Ok, here are before and after pictures of my rear flares. Before would tear up sidewalls. After? Just right!

Thanks, your "before" pic is exactly what my flares look like. At the top, yours now look like roughly 1/4" or maybe slightly more, so that works.

I'm thinking I should trim the lip to about 3/8", and roll the top of the arch up.

Mitox
QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 2 2017, 06:19 PM) *

Some pics.

John,

The last pic on your post is great, but I can't make out the paint names on the paper labels. Do you have a better copy?
jmill
Not really. I found it on Rennlist. Here's one that includes a description. I also included another pic with 2 colors side by side.

Looking at photos of Conda, Signal, Viper, Green, and Zambezi it's difficult to tell them apart unless they are side by side.
Mitox
QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 3 2017, 12:41 PM) *

Not really. I found it on Rennlist. Here's one that includes a description. I also included another pic with 2 colors side by side.

Looking at photos of Conda, Signal, Viper, Green, and Zambezi it's difficult to tell them apart unless they are side by side.

Thanks,

I'm going to order a few custom mix spray cans so I can compare colors first hand. I think it's going to be either viper green, conda, or 2D8 Green from the 2007 GT3 RS.
jmill
My favorite one.
Mitox
QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 3 2017, 03:54 PM) *

My favorite one.

I can see why! Very nice!
Cal
Have you considered Irish Green?
Mitox
QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 4 2017, 04:05 PM) *

Have you considered Irish Green?

I like the Irish green; I've lusted for the second car you posted. However, I have the need for a bright color. 2D8 from the 2007 GT3 RS is growing on me.
jmill
Here's a comparison between green (on the car) and signal green (sample). Too close to call IMHO.
Mitox
QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 5 2017, 12:17 PM) *

Here's a comparison between green (on the car) and signal green (sample). Too close to call IMHO.

Hmmm; looks like I need to get a spray can of signal green also. The two you show look very close. If anything, the signal seems to have a little more yellow in it.
mepstein
It also depends what primer goes under the paint and even what brand of paint.
Mitox
Time to build the rotisserie. I have a great starting point; it's a rotisserie built to assist with assembling aircraft landing gear doors - big aircraft.

So far I have cut the sides off of the rotating section. I plan to cut the sides off of the bottom also, and add a third leg and wheel to each end. Off to find a couple casters, and start welding. welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

horizontally-opposed
Irish is tough to argue with, but if you're after more color—and maybe something different than the Viper/Kelly/Signal (all of which look great) but still "period"—you might want to look into Gelb Grun or even Acid Green.

Gelb Grün on a GT3 RS:
http://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketp...xx-options.html
http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-a...elivered-4.html

Acid Green on a GT4 and 918
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/acid-gre...429.html#agal_6
https://hiveminer.com/Tags/acid,porsche

And, finally, good old Birch Green (I think...):
http://www.stanceworks.com/2014/04/admirin...porsche-3-0-rs/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.