Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 16x7s on front
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
16x7 with 225x50s -any reason I should not put these wheels on the front of my non flared car? idea.gif I am running the same on the rear.....any objections...will it give a bit of oversteer?? idea.gif
boxstr
I think you may have trouble with lock to lock rubbing. I had 205 45 16x7s on my yellow car an dhad no problems.
CCLINFUCHME
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Apr 8 2005, 12:58 AM)
...will it give a bit of oversteer?

how much power you got?

Porsches ran the same size front & rear for a LONG time and for a variety of reasons.

you want to think about running bigger tires in back when you have enough power to light them up, especially at a corner apex. this is the "friction circle" concept: a tire has just so much traction available, laterally (cornering force) or longitudinally (braking and, for the back, propulsion). at the limit, if 100& of the traction available is used in cornering, the wheels will spil when you pick up the throttle.

so as we added power, drive wheels got bigger to overcome throttle oversteer. but most people do it for the look. big rear wheels was even a popular look in Europe for front-wheel-drive cars, so go figure...

so - if you have enough power to light up the 225's you have in back now, yes, putting the same size on the front may cause a bit of throttle-induced oversteer as you pick up the gas in a 4-wheel drift. otherwise - nope...
maf914
Can anyone comment on the steering effort in normal street driving with 225's on the front? I've wondered if the steering would be really heavy. Of course, I guess the offset will play into this also.

I currently have 205/60 x 15 and the steering effort is not bad.
ArtechnikA
225 front, 245 rear on 7&8x16 Fuchs clones (hey, they're street wheels...) on a LH/LWB 911. steering is no big deal, and a have one of the popular 350mm steering wheels. i'm really out of shape...

with MUCH wider fronts and flat-tread-design tires the big caster we prefer can make steering hard at the limit (because the caster, in combination with the negative camber, means we're actually lifting the front) but these are light cars.

YMMV. early Porsches have issues but steering effort isn't usually one of them.
Eddie914
It was great to meet you at Dan's sawzall party!

I'm running 225/50/16 & 245/45/16 on 16 x 8/9 on the 914-6 2.7 I had at Dan's.

Steering effort is never a problem. These cars have so little weight on the front axle.

Since my 914 has all fiberglass front bodywork there is even less weight on the front axle.

Eddie
J P Stein
Steering effort on my car is noticeably higher with 225s and
7 X 15 wheels. Assuming a 0 scrub radius with 5.5 inch wheels,
7 inchers would move it out 1.5 inches. It's particularily noticeable at very low speed.....I have to muscle the thing around an AX course, but it ain't too bad. The 10 inchers I now have up front are gonna be.....ah... interesting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.