Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radio Intrigue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Charles Danek
In the year since I acquired my 914, I have just about gone through the body, assembling a collection of replacement panels for the rusted sections along the way - pretty soon I will be ready for welding! I have not yet touched the engine, which is still seized and out of the car. And of course refurbishing the brakes, suspension and electrical system still lies before me. With so much to be done, I felt I had better establish my priorities: The radio.

My car came with an empty eye socket in dash where a radio should go, the wrong speakers drilled into the door panels, and speaker grills that are MIA. In other words, I am starting with a clean slate.

According to all lore that I have come across, 914-4s were never equipped with radios at the factory, but rather they were installed by dealers. Alas, I happened to order the COA from Porsche for my numbers-NOT-matching 914 - (yes it was expensive, and yes the money could have gone to better use on my car, but remember: priorities) - very curiously, it specifies that my car came equipped with an “Emden” radio. Has anyone else ordered a COA for their 914-4? I know, why would anyone. But if you did, was a radio specified?

My COA can be seen here: http://coincd.com/sites/914/sites/06-there...e-it/index.html

Seeing as my car originally had an “Emden” radio, and that it might not have been common for Porsche to so equip 914-4s with any radios, then so too do I feel that an Emden radio should my car have again. However, here is where things get interesting, namely because I am still trying to hone in on just exactly what an “Emden” radio is…

Unlike the more frequently encountered Frankfort radio that features S (Short Wave), M (AM) and U (FM) it seems as though an Emden radio is typified by featuring L (Long Wave), M and U bands. Are there any stations on the long wave band?

Emden radios seem to have been a popular option for VW vans in the early ‘70s, as a majority of them that come up for sale come equipped with VW knobs and an odd, trapezoidal shaped housing that supposedly keys into the van’s dashboard. I have never seen an Emden radio for sale that is attached to a 914 faceplate, and nor do I know if a special faceplate exists, or if a generic radio plate is supposed to fit over an open, generic 914 faceplate. Does anyone know if Emden radios had a special 914 faceplate?

Confusingly, Emden radios were actually made by both Blaupunkt and Grundig. However, I did read somewhere that 914-6s were equipped at the factory with Blaupunkts and Beckers exclusively, so I think it is safe to assume that I am after a Blaupunkt version.

Also confusingly, is that Emden radios come in both Euro (FM104) and US (FM (108) versions. If my car was fitted at the factory with a radio, was it Euro version? Alas, right above where it says ““Emden” Radio” on my COA, it also “US Equipment”. Hmmm... since my 914 is a Southern California car, and this is the land of KROQ, I think it hungers for a US radio.

Confusingly even more, however, is that some Blaupunkt Emdens have 5 buttons, 4 buttons with 2 fake “buttonettes” attached to the faceplate. Does anyone know the significance of 5 buttons vs. 4? (Besides the obvious of one having 1 fewer button.)

But most confusing of all to me, is that on page 66 of Dr. B. Johnson’s seemingly authoritative “The 914 & 914/6 Porsche - A Restorer’s Guide to Authenticity” he shows a picture of what is supposed to be an Emden radio. This radio has only AM and FM bands, and features a very cool slide bar for switching between them that says “PORSCHE” on it. Alas, after almost a year of browsing Emden radios, I have NEVER come across a radio that looks like this; I have however come across several Motorola Saphire radios that look exactly like this. At this point, unless anyone here can offer insights to the contrary, I am ready to conclude that the good Dr. B. Johnson made a mistake, and that the “Emden” radio featured on page 66 of his book is in fact a Motorola Saphire. Can anyone here offer insights to the contrary?

The good news, is that Blaupunkt Emden radios do seem readily available for a price. When I am ready to pay this price, I will acquire one. Unless I luck into bargain sooner. A good thing about so many things being wrong with my car, is that I can take my time with the radio, while I focus on, uh, other priorities.

Now if I could only find a NOS Blaupunkt radio installation kit with speakers…
Dutchdriver
I've never came across an Emden with a Porsche faceplate.
Did some searching myself, since I was looking for an original Blaupunkt Frankfurt 2.
To my knowledge, no EU-914 was standard equiped with an Emden. But I can't be 100% sure, might be different for USA models.

In my search, I came across two good websites regarding radio's, although they are dutch:

http://www.vermeulens.nl/autoradio/frontplaten.htm (for front plates etc)
http://www.oldtimerautoradio.nl/c-125718/porsche/ (for radio's)

I'm not affiliated with these sites, but while only buying a frontplate at the first one, the guys behind the sites provided me with some good info on originallity regarding my 914/radio.

Altough most Dutch speak english, if you want to contact (one of) that websites and need help with translation, let me know.

porschetub
Yes I feel you have touched on a common issue,not many set rules on what was in our cars,mine was new to my country and came with a Blaupunkt Franfurt stereo model,couldn't believe my luck to have what I consider the best period radio for these cars ...not so lucky as it is non functioning,I will get it working someday but for the moment a have a much more modern version to see me through.Click to view attachment

I'am very keen to get mine working as it is in excellent condition visually,good luck in sorting your own one beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
green914
First time I have ever heard of a 914 coming with an Emden radio. Seems I learn something new about these cars almost every time I come to this forum. smile.gif
Charles Danek
Dutchdriver, these sites are great!

One shows a Blaukunt Frankfort mounted into the dash of a 911... maybe a similar setup exists for 914s?

I am not ready to pull the trigger on a radio just yet, but when I do, I very well may be reaching out. ]

Thanks for sharing these!!
Tom_T
Charles - see my comments added into your post below in bold italic so you can see them easier....

QUOTE(Charles Danek @ Jun 27 2016, 11:00 PM) *

In the year since I acquired my 914, I have just about gone through the body, assembling a collection of replacement panels for the rusted sections along the way - pretty soon I will be ready for welding! I have not yet touched the engine, which is still seized and out of the car. And of course refurbishing the brakes, suspension and electrical system still lies before me. With so much to be done, I felt I had better establish my priorities: The radio.

My car came with an empty eye socket in dash where a radio should go, the wrong speakers drilled into the door panels, and speaker grills that are MIA. In other words, I am starting with a clean slate.

No speakers were ever put into the doors by the factory. They had some great little speaker pods for 4x6 oval speakers which mounted below the dash on top of the longs at L & R - so why would they cut in speakers in the door, back in the day when 2 speakers was the upgrade!? Some later DAPO put those into your doors, so you'll probably want to get some new panels or make some up to match the originals, but without the holes.

And if you want to have 4 speakers, &/or have a means to plug in 3.5mm or USB etc. devices into your future Emden, then go to the Woody's Customs online store & get either or both from them. You can either get the 4-channel stealth adapter or get a splitter for the #3 & #4 speakers to place under or behind the seats, & the input unit plugs into the back of the radio too - so all are very unobtrusive upgrades which won't spoil the classic look for which you're looking.

http://woodyscustomshop.com/
Their physical shop is in Costa Mesa CA BTW

Hidden speakers for under/behind seats:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hidden-Under-o...2684854?vxp=mtr

Adapters for media players, 4-channel speakers, etc.:
http://stores.ebay.com/Woodys-Custom-Shop/...d=p4634.c0.m322

He sells to all sorts of classic Porsche folks, including at the big Porsche Swap Meet here in OC/SoCal every March, so they work with our 914s.

According to all lore that I have come across, 914-4s were never equipped with radios at the factory, but rather they were installed by dealers.

Not true, as yours proves! 914/4 & -6 could be ordered with either "plain vanilla" (i.e.: nothing), with the radio ready option (speakers &/or antenna), or completely optioned at the dealers - the latter of which was most common back then, because Porsche - as did many auto mfgrs. - left the dealers to do more of the options for buyers not special ordering a car, as an additional profit center. It's just the way it had been done since the 1940s & before, & even on USA mfgrs'. cars.

See Jeff Bowlsby's 914 site for the various option numbers, & note that even that is growing with more knowledge, as your COA shows new info for him for 70 MY!

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/OpEq.htm << see option # M097

> Note that you could have PCNA confirm the actual Option Code # on yours, just to verify they read it correctly (they are known for making mistakes, even at that price dry.gif )

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

Alas, I happened to order the COA from Porsche for my numbers-NOT-matching 914 - (yes it was expensive, and yes the money could have gone to better use on my car, but remember: priorities) - very curiously, it specifies that my car came equipped with an “Emden” radio. Has anyone else ordered a COA for their 914-4? I know, why would anyone. But if you did, was a radio specified?

I did, it took me 3 more tries with the final complaining to the PCNA GM of "Customer Care" which the COAs Dept. falls under, in order to get them to correctly list it as a 2.0 & with the correct color for what they had listed as the right color code #31 - which is for Beige with Basketweave Seat Inserts, but they kept wanting to call it black! They are notoriously wrong on older Porsches, & a notorious PITA when it comes to correcting their mistakes! However, the GM did end up refunding my entire COA Fee for their mistakes, & since I had to research out the factory color code docs. which they should've had on hand!

Also of note, they tried to tell me that my `73 914-2.0 was 1st sold in Fall 1974 in NJ, when in fact I'm the second owner since 1975, & have all of my original & subsequent DMV reg. cards, which all showed 11/6/72 first sold in Orange County CA (it was also built 8/31/72 according to the Chassis Number, & had 8/72 on the VIN sticker) - which they refused to correct until I sent them a pic of the DMV reg. card from 12/26/75 showing that info.! They can be huge A-holes in many ways!

Mine had no factory radio, but according to the OO, it had the "radio ready option" of speaker pods + manual chrome radio antenna installed, as it was one of the early 914-2.0's marketed as an upscale fully loaded (or mostly so) "914S" with the Appearance Group & Performance Group of options & radio ready ("ready" for a dealer supplied radio & speaker kit of the customer's choice) included in the base price for the "914S" 2.0L models, in Porsche+Audi's attempt to have it make up for the 914-6s which went out after the 72 MY. Since it was a "special equipment set sub-model for only the 73 MY - & since Porsche never shows included items in their list of extra cost options on COAs (including for 911 RS, etc. & those of today) - my COA shows no Radio, nor even the AG & PG option groups.

The OO had gotten a dealer supplied Motorola AM/FM/8-Track with the proper plastic basketweave molded faceplate & speaker kit installed by the dealer, which I had saved as I'd upgraded to a cassette unit in the early `80's, & which I'll put back into mine when the resto is done.

My COA can be seen here: http://coincd.com/sites/914/sites/06-there...e-it/index.html

Seeing as my car originally had an “Emden” radio, and that it might not have been common for Porsche to so equip 914-4s with any radios, then so too do I feel that an Emden radio should my car have again. However, here is where things get interesting, namely because I am still trying to hone in on just exactly what an “Emden” radio is…

Unlike the more frequently encountered Frankfort radio that features S (Short Wave), M (AM) and U (FM) it seems as though an Emden radio is typified by featuring L (Long Wave), M and U bands. Are there any stations on the long wave band?

IIRC those are for either the Weather, Marine or Aircraft Freqs., but not sure.

Emden radios seem to have been a popular option for VW vans in the early ‘70s, as a majority of them that come up for sale come equipped with VW knobs and an odd, trapezoidal shaped housing that supposedly keys into the van’s dashboard. I have never seen an Emden radio for sale that is attached to a 914 faceplate, and nor do I know if a special faceplate exists, or if a generic radio plate is supposed to fit over an open, generic 914 faceplate. Does anyone know if Emden radios had a special 914 faceplate?

They probably had the plastic faceplate which looked like the basketweave vinyl on the dash faces, but you can make an acceptable plate with sheet metal cut to shape & faced with the 70-74 version of black basketweave vinyl.

Confusingly, Emden radios were actually made by both Blaupunkt and Grundig. However, I did read somewhere that 914-6s were equipped at the factory with Blaupunkts and Beckers exclusively, so I think it is safe to assume that I am after a Blaupunkt version.

Also confusingly, is that Emden radios come in both Euro (FM104) and US (FM (108) versions. If my car was fitted at the factory with a radio, was it Euro version? Alas, right above where it says ““Emden” Radio” on my COA, it also “US Equipment”. Hmmm... since my 914 is a Southern California car, and this is the land of KROQ, I think it hungers for a US radio.

As a USA market 914, it would've been the USA Emden in all probability, but it could've been either the Blau or Grundig made version, since your 914/4 was built by VW at the Karmann plant. So ostensibly, you could be able to use one from eiather any VW model of the day, or a 914/911. If you find a nice used one from any of those sources, then there are shops around the US who specialize in restoring/refurb'ing them to work as new. 914sixer has another type of Blau FS listed which he had done at one in FL, if you look on his ad in the Parts FS Classifieds today for the shop name, or PM to him.

Confusingly even more, however, is that some Blaupunkt Emdens have 5 buttons, 4 buttons with 2 fake “buttonettes” attached to the faceplate. Does anyone know the significance of 5 buttons vs. 4? (Besides the obvious of one having 1 fewer button.)

I have no idea! biggrin.gif

But most confusing of all to me, is that on page 66 of Dr. B. Johnson’s seemingly authoritative “The 914 & 914/6 Porsche - A Restorer’s Guide to Authenticity” he shows a picture of what is supposed to be an Emden radio. This radio has only AM and FM bands, and features a very cool slide bar for switching between them that says “PORSCHE” on it. Alas, after almost a year of browsing Emden radios, I have NEVER come across a radio that looks like this; I have however come across several Motorola Saphire radios that look exactly like this. At this point, unless anyone here can offer insights to the contrary, I am ready to conclude that the good Dr. B. Johnson made a mistake, and that the “Emden” radio featured on page 66 of his book is in fact a Motorola Saphire. Can anyone here offer insights to the contrary?

The good news, is that Blaupunkt Emden radios do seem readily available for a price. When I am ready to pay this price, I will acquire one. Unless I luck into bargain sooner. A good thing about so many things being wrong with my car, is that I can take my time with the radio, while I focus on, uh, other priorities.

Now if I could only find a NOS Blaupunkt radio installation kit with speakers…

Again, Mark H / 914sixer has one for sale today in the Parts FS classifieds, but I think you'll still have to find a pair of nice used housings for his speakers to go into.

Hope this Helps!

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914Sixer
Both Blaupunkt and Grundig Emden versions are available over on theSamba. They were all mono radios split out for two speakers. They were 3 band radios with AM/FM/LW. Standard 914 shaft radio plate should work. It seems to fit just about any radio from that period.
Charles Danek
Wow, Tom! Thank you for the lengthy reply! You really have shed new light on my understanding of 914 radios. Sorry to hear about all your COA drama. It sounds like you have a beautiful car thought! I am glad you kept your radio. wink.gif

As for finding a NOS speaker set, I sort of wrote that to be funny. I was the first to reply to the ad, and I sent mark money via Paypal for it last night. Actually, this is what motivated me to post about my radio saga.
Dave_Darling
It also seems that many, most, or all 914 radios in the US (depending on who you believe) were installed by the importer or the dealer. So many would have originally come with whatever the dealer or the importer had available to them.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.