Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 crash compartment strength
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
After picking up this latest wrecked 914 (the one started the GEX thread)

I was looking at the car and how it handled the impact.
The car was nailed really good in the front end collapsing the headlight buckets, pinching the tire and the Fuch in the spare tire carrier area.

It appears that the car was designed to use these areas including the spare tire ahead of the frunk firewall as crumple zones while the fuel tank area between the cabin firewall and frunk firewall Remained untouched. Also wonder how things may have been different if the spare was not in the car to help absorb and redirect the energy of the impact.

The passenger long (the crash was off centered to the right) was still straight directly under the door hinge pillar, but then moving back it begins to bow. The bow continues to become greater until the area of the long where it disappears under the rear quarter panel.

I would say they really did their homework when they designed the car. It seems like the car transferred the energy around the passenger compartment rather than through it.

Was really impressed.

Has anyone been in a collision with their 914 and how did the car handle it?

Just curious as to how safe the car is for being so small in stature,

Thanks
Coondog
Totaled my first 914 "1975", a guy pulled out in front of me in a Capri. T-Boned him at about 35 mph. Front end was crushed up to the spare tire. Front fenders buckled at the shock towers and the tranny mounts broke. Not a scratch on me. I was impressed on how well it took the impact. I remember I aimed for the front tire as I didn't want to put my car threw his door. Of course that POS didn't speak english, no DL or Ins either.
Still hate Santa Ana......

RIP my 1975 2.0 Red 914
mark04usa
My 914 has avoided many potentially serious crashes over the years just by being so nimble and able to get me out of danger. For example, I was on I-35 headed home to Austin from Dallas, the car ahead of me in left lane suddenly veered sharply right...and I saw "D O D G E" across on the front of a wrong way vehicle headed right for me. An instant downshift with throttle and a dive into the grassy median and we were OK. I was lucky to dodge the Dodge, but couldn't have done it in a lesser car. driving.gif
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Jun 28 2016, 09:19 PM) *

My 914 has avoided many potentially serious crashes over the years just by being so nimble and able to get me out of danger. For example, I was on I-35 headed home to Austin from Dallas, the car ahead of me in left lane suddenly veered sharply right...and I saw "D O D G E" across on the front of a wrong way vehicle headed right for me. An instant downshift with throttle and a dive into the grassy median and we were OK. I was lucky to dodge the Dodge, but couldn't have done it in a lesser car. driving.gif

Well, you did do a good job Dodging that Dodge... driving-girl.gif
mgp4591
It's great to know that the integrity of these little cars is solid and many race cars have added reinforcement to an already well designed platform. My question is what is the best solution for street driving to improve the safety? And maybe not just the obvious cage or longs reinforcement but possibly a similarly engineered solution that not only protects the passengers and directs energy to the other structures already in place... If it's just a matter mainly of side protection? Any and all answers are more than welcome!
Mueller
One thing to consider is that as these cars get older or if used and abused (track, auto-x and heavy back roads use) the chassis are getting weaker by the mile.

How a 914 took on an accident in 1980 might be different than it happening tomorrow.

Supposedly the Mercedes SL class of convertibles are super safe and ridged, I'd look into those, check out the door striker, neat design.

don-6
I don't know if it is true with the 914, but the owners manual for my Gen 1 Dodge Viper advises not to remove the spare tire as it is part of the design for crash safety.
stugray
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 28 2016, 07:31 PM) *

It appears that the car was designed to use these areas including the spare tire ahead of the frunk firewall as crumple zones while the fuel tank area between the cabin firewall and frunk firewall Remained untouched. Also wonder how things may have been different if the spare was not in the car to help absorb and redirect the energy of the impact.

This is exactly why I am nervous having my fuel cell where the spare goes.
AND why I built a support structure for the fuel cell:

IPB Image
Gunn1
QUOTE(don-6 @ Jun 29 2016, 01:30 AM) *

I don't know if it is true with the 914, but the owners manual for my Gen 1 Dodge Viper advises not to remove the spare tire as it is part of the design for crash safety.

In this instance, the way in which the spare was pinched so tightly by the sheet metal in the well , i believe it really helped.

I think it was while reading the manual on my first Vette it mentioned it was unsafe to drive it without the spare stored in its proper place.

The way this car "crumpled" it was obvious porsche went to great lengths to protect the fuel tank/cell area too.

Gunn1
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 29 2016, 01:43 AM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 28 2016, 07:31 PM) *

This is exactly why I am nervous having my fuel cell where the spare goes.
AND why I built a support structure for the fuel cell:

IPB Image

Very nicely done
Coondog
[quote name='mgp4591' date='Jun 28 2016, 10:23 PM' post='2365323']
If it's just a matter mainly of side protection? Any and all answers are more than welcome!

I have responded to far more traffic fatalities from drivers side impacts vs head on collisions. Side airbags protect your head but do very little for thoracic cavity injuries that occur. So other then a full cage for every car built, side impacts never end well.

Case in point in my wreck I had a split second to respond. I was not going to avoid the impact but aiming for the front end made it a more favorable outcome for the other driver.
Jeffs9146
I survived this one! Head on, me going 30 and him going 50!!
Chris H.
Dang that one is still hard to look at. How the hell did you get out? Climb out the top?

I remember a Delphi Green 914 that was t-boned at a fairly high rate of speed and although the member hurt his back and was injured the car held up pretty well. He praised it for holding up. Those door bars in the later cars do actually help.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 29 2016, 08:08 AM) *

Dang that one is still hard to look at. How the hell did you get out? Climb out the top?

I was pulled out by the fire dept. I don't remember anything! blink.gif
Chris H.
Oh right...that would make sense. Hey GLAD YOU'RE HERE JEFF. beerchug.gif
Gunn1
My 74' actually had the "door" girders torched out. Suppose it was to lighten things up a bit.

It's also interesting how the head rests are so high and connected to the seat. Sort of a anti whiplash exercise. Other than the 914 seats being sparce, there shape and design are very close to those in my wife's Volvo XC 90, which is know for its safety rating.
JoeDees
Speaking of doors. What year doors fit what cars?
mbseto
I got my welder from a first generation 914 owner who used it to repair his car after his son t-boned a Buick. Totalled the Buick.
Gunn1
QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Jun 29 2016, 12:20 PM) *

Speaking of doors. What year doors fit what cars?

Think the doors for all model years are interchangeable ...

But the early ones have a spiral/ screw type regulator while the later ones have the more robust scissor type.
Gunn1
QUOTE(mbseto @ Jun 29 2016, 01:37 PM) *

I got my welder from a first generation 914 owner who used it to repair his car after his son t-boned a Buick. Totalled the Buick.

What a coincidence. I got my 914 from a first generation welder who's son used his Buick to grill t-bones......
G e o r g e
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

search turned up nothing
Gunn1
[quote name='G e o r g e' date='Jun 29 2016, 04:22 PM' post='2365577']

search turned up nothing
There wil not be any until the car is completely disassembled
stugray
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 29 2016, 03:12 PM) *

What a coincidence. I got my 914 from a first generation welder who's son used his Buick to grill t-bones......

Like this?
IPB Image

I could see a welder build one of those.
Not even much welding involved, mostly cutting
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 29 2016, 10:08 AM) *

I remember a Delphi Green 914 that was t-boned at a fairly high rate of speed and although the member hurt his back and was injured the car held up pretty well. He praised it for holding up. Those door bars in the later cars do actually help.

This one? It happen in 2005. He drove from AZ out to our FFC05 in Indiana.
2mAn
damn, those are pretty brutal crashes!

I think the spare is there for a reason too, especially in a fiberglass vette.
Gunn1
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 29 2016, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 29 2016, 03:12 PM) *

Like this?
IPB Image

I could see a welder build one of those.
Not even much welding involved, mostly cutting

Your giving me ideas!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.