Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type IV rebuild / refresh thread. Nothing ground breaking.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mueller
When I took this motor apart I removed the crankshaft with rods, bearings and front fan hub still attached.

Being that the cam bearings look good and it only had a flat cam, I'm thinking not to disassemble the crank setup any further?

Good idea or bad idea?
TheCabinetmaker
Personally, I'd want to at least check the rod bearings, and you will have to remove the fan hub and gear to replace the crank bearing. And why not balance the rotating assembly? Do it right, Mike. You'll love setting valve train geometry. Fun stuff
Mueller
Wanted to thank McMark for the brand new bolts for the cam gear, Dominic for the straight stud, and cabinetmaker for thw plastic stud locaters used in the engine.

Mueller
1 step forward, 2 steps back.

I decided to look at the rod and crank bearings on the low mileage rebuilt motor..glad I did.

Gears still need to be pulled to look at the captured bearing, but since it is a set that bearing will be replaced. The crank looks good so far which is nice.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
76-914
Whoa! That engine must have been thrown together quickly. Good thing that you checked it Mike. beerchug.gif
McMark
Are those bearings STD? It's marked/stamped on the outside of the bearings. I'll get new ones ordered and shipped to you as soon as you let me know.
Mueller
Part number for rods: 021 105 701A (standard?)

Cannot find a single number on the crank bearings. Are the numbers in the PET?
Chris914n6
After that, I'd measure the crank too
Mueller
Mark,

Crank has stock factory journal size diameters.

You mentioned you had another oil pump I think at one time? Let me know how much $ and I'll send you some funds.

Mueller
Motor going together slowly. Yes, that is a blister from installing the gear on the crank, I guess my leather gloves not insulated enough.

I added the notches in the rods for some extra oil slinging as well as per this:
http://www.ratwell.com/mirror/www.dolphins...m/techbull.html

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
More goodies arrived today.... new cam bearings and a new flywheel. Hope to make some good progress on the build in the next few days.

Click to view attachment
913B
QUOTE(JamesM @ Nov 8 2017, 01:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 7 2017, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 7 2017, 08:24 PM) *

I'm pretty sure you can just set up your MegaSquirt board with a second ignition driver and then dispense with the EDIS altogether. Less components to break/die. Simpler wiring. Simplicity. wink.gif

Thanks I'll look unto that. Didn't really want to go with COPs.

If you want the "easy button" for spark output look at VAG Part #032905106B wasted spark coil off late 90s/early 2000s VWs. Aftermarket/generic can be had for less than 20 bucks. Its logic level so no high current ignition drivers are needed, the wiring of it is crazy simple. Only thing you need to know is to swap the 3 and 4 plug wires from how they are labeled on the coil to account for the Type 4 firing order.

Click to view attachment

This one ?

https://www.amazon.com/Ignition-Coil-Pack-V...coil+032905106B

Any place to get the correct connector for it ?

driving.gif aktion035.gif piratenanner.gif
McMark
I'm ordering this one. I think it's right.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071F5CPP...=A2XTE5UFIF2OCI

IPB Image
Mueller
Well I thought I had a complete short block put together and then I see the windage try laying on the bench headbang.gif screwy.gif

Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 14 2018, 11:47 AM) *

Well I thought I had a complete short block put together and then I see the windage try laying on the bench headbang.gif screwy.gif

Click to view attachment

poke.gif Hey Mike, you can avoid those type mistake if take your lap top and Raby video with you into the garage. biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 14 2018, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 14 2018, 11:47 AM) *

Click to view attachment

poke.gif Hey Mike, you can avoid those type mistake if take your lap top and Raby video with you into the garage. biggrin.gif

I was watching it! I put it on pause to answer the phone and somehow skipped him installing that part. I did install the oil pickup and then next thing I know I am installing nuts and tightening bolts!

Oh well...
tygaboy
Mike - Are you trying to catch up to me on "most re-dos"? poke.gif
Joking aside, I HATE it when that happens...

See you June 2?

Chris
76-914
Shit, I put an engine back together once before I realized I left a knife on top of the cam. headbang.gif I was 16 and haven't gotten any smarter since. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.