Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type IV rebuild / refresh thread. Nothing ground breaking.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
colingreene
I have a straight cut cam gear, its not honestly all that loud.
Mueller
QUOTE(colingreene @ Jul 11 2016, 08:39 AM) *

I have a straight cut cam gear, its not honestly all that loud.

thanks, I've watched a few youtube videos and with rest of the Type IV engine sound (mechanical, intake and exhaust) the cam gear doesn't seem that bad.

Makes it sound a little more /6 engine'ish smile.gif
Mueller
Still trying to find some input on whether or not the stock L-Jet will work with this 9600 RAT camshaft? smile.gif

Dual Webers are calling my name, trying to avoid spending the $$$ and joining the darkside.
McMark
Induction is easy to change. Run the L-Jet and see what happens. tongue.gif
Mike Bellis
Run the L Jet and put a piggy back system or full ECU swap on it.
colingreene
the right and best way to do modern ish fuel injection on the cheap would probably be Megasquirt.
Mueller
QUOTE(colingreene @ Jul 11 2016, 08:42 PM) *

the right and best way to do modern ish fuel injection on the cheap would probably be Megasquirt.

Just nervous with a fresh rebuild, what if it doesn't start right away or stalls too often?

Will I screw up my new cam if it takes too long to get it running longer than 20 minutes or so?
colingreene
You might want to talk to Mark on here about it, or read through some of the builds using it.
Worst case start it and run it on a carb to break the cam in.
McMark
The cam assembly lube sticks around for awhile. And if you run closed loop and autotune you can get it to rev to 2000-3000 pretty easily and be sure you're not flooding the motor.

With no load on the engine, your mixture and timing isn't nearly as critical. So you run the engine, rev it up, keep an eye on the mixture, but keep it running/rev'd until the cam break in is over. Then move your attention to tuning.

Also, this is the part where I praise the gospel of dyno tuning. Pay the money. Get it done first, not last. It's worth every penny.
jim_hoyland
Any updates Mike ? I am looking at upgrading my L-Jet as well. Currently, it has the 94mm pistors and 2L crank shaft. I have a set of stock heads that are resurfaced and and new valves added- no mods though.

My local indy is going to replace the heads and suggested adding 96mm pistons. Since you drove my car at the WCR 2015 at San Simeon, I thought you might have some useful suggestions. And. it hasn't pinged again... smile.gif

Gonna stay L-Jet
Mueller
Finally getting back to my engine.

I picked up new lifters and uncut chromoly push rods from The Type IV Store,

I'm thinking I should go with better than stock valve springs for my 9600 RAT camshaft?

Mueller
Bump for spring recommendations!

Also, any work I can do myself on the combustion chambers like adding a radius to the edge from the flat to the combustion pocket?
Mueller
Let's see if this one gets ignored as well smile.gif lol-2.gif

Can the stock Type IV oil pump deal with a remote cooler all the way up front behind the bumper if i wanted to go with a GT type setup?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 7 2017, 02:55 PM) *

Let's see if this one gets ignored as well smile.gif lol-2.gif

Can the stock Type IV oil pump deal with a remote cooler all the way up front behind the bumper if i wanted to go with a GT type setup?

no
Mueller
Time to start working on the engine again.....

Dual or single valve springs? (Raby 9600 cam)

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 7 2017, 09:03 PM) *

I think that HD springs were used on most the Raby cams with a more aggressive ramp.

The springs that came with mine were single coil, HD springs.

Be 100% positive that you use the right lifters for your new cam. Ceramic lifters are best, or the correct Raby / LE lifters for that cam. Otherwise you can flat spot the cam in no time flat. Learned that the hard way. :-(

Zach
McMark
I think that cam would prefer to have dual or HD springs. But if you email the Type4Store they should be able to tell you what's recommended.
Mueller
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 8 2017, 06:23 AM) *

I think that cam would prefer to have dual or HD springs. But if you email the Type4Store they should be able to tell you what's recommended.

Called and got someone that had the cam card!
Recommended dual (with a little hesitation which makes me nervous?)

Specs:
.335 IN
.400 EX

Duration 290°

@ .050" 252° IN
@ .050" 254° EX

Looking at the Web Cam catalog, it looks similar to the 86a (below) except for intake lift, I hope it was a misprint or I didn't hear her correctly. Web Cam doesn't show any cams with that small of an intake lift!

.435/.435 290°/290° 252°/252° 86a N/A N/A
00-232
Strong mid and upper end performance for high performance street engines. WEB CAM mechanical lifters required. Requires
Performance Valve Spring Kit, and New Lifters Part #00-265.

I think I will measure the lift just to make sure.
Mueller
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 8 2017, 06:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 7 2017, 09:03 PM) *

I think that HD springs were used on most the Raby cams with a more aggressive ramp.

The springs that came with mine were single coil, HD springs.

Be 100% positive that you use the right lifters for your new cam. Ceramic lifters are best, or the correct Raby / LE lifters for that cam. Otherwise you can flat spot the cam in no time flat. Learned that the hard way. :-(

Zach

I have the parkerized lifters from the Type IV store.
Mueller
I just did a quick measurement using my HF digital calipers.

Lift for stock cam:

I = .277 , E = .255 so the intake lift is .022 greater than exhaust.

9600 cam:

I = .310 , E = .384 so the exhaust is almost .070" greater than the intake? Turbo cam or okay for N/A?

McMark
More exhaust flow to compensate for the type 4s poor exhaust flow characteristics. Common idea with a variety of implementations.
Mueller
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 11 2017, 07:41 AM) *

More exhaust flow to compensate for the type 4s poor exhaust flow characteristics. Common idea with a variety of implementations.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking, will run it.
Keith914
Back to your original question, I suggest you evaluate upgrading your oil pump (higher flow) in tandem with Tangerine's oil pressure relief valve upgrade.
Mueller
QUOTE(Keith914 @ Aug 11 2017, 10:59 AM) *

Back to your original question, I suggest you evaluate upgrading your oil pump (higher flow) in tandem with Tangerine's oil pressure relief valve upgrade.

Thanks, ordered the Tangerine Racing oil pressure relief spring upgrade.

Only oil pumps i could find are the 30mm units:
https://type4store.com/products/oiling-syst...hicles-486.html

I also found an article for using the stock oil pump and making it better than as delivered:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=127097
McMark
Did you want a 26mm pump? I can send one your way.
Mueller
Started to clean the engine again to get it ready to put back together.

I Bought a media blaster kit to hook up to my pressure washer....

I am using baking soda for the media.... 1st test and it works pretty darn good, just messy (more so the water spraying back at me ) I'll have to fix that!

There was a lot more build up between the webs before I gave it a blast. Just plain water out of the gun didn't do squat.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
Megasquirt question...really EDIS related. Older MS2 V3.57

I screwed up and bought the wrong EDIS setup, I bought the -8 version instead of the -4 version.

I still think I can get it to work correctly as long as I mount the sensor 50° as per EDIS-8 requirements.

The stock V8 firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 (wasted spark pairs are 1-6, 3-5, 7-4 and 2-8)
As long as I connect to the correct coil I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Any possible damage if I didn't hook up the other 4 spark plug wires?

Will I damage a coil if it is only firing on one side and not as a pair?

Good time to convert the heads to dual plug? smile.gif

Click to view attachment
76-914
That's definitely above my pay grade. confused24.gif
McMark
I'm pretty sure you can just set up your MegaSquirt board with a second ignition driver and then dispense with the EDIS altogether. Less components to break/die. Simpler wiring. Simplicity. wink.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 7 2017, 08:24 PM) *

I'm pretty sure you can just set up your MegaSquirt board with a second ignition driver and then dispense with the EDIS altogether. Less components to break/die. Simpler wiring. Simplicity. wink.gif

Thanks I'll look unto that. Didn't really want to go with COPs.

JamesM
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 7 2017, 10:58 PM) *

If you want the "easy button" for spark output look at VAG Part #032905106B wasted spark coil off late 90s/early 2000s VWs. Aftermarket/generic can be had for less than 20 bucks. Its logic level so no high current ignition drivers are needed, the wiring of it is crazy simple. Only thing you need to know is to swap the 3 and 4 plug wires from how they are labeled on the coil to account for the Type 4 firing order.

Click to view attachment
McMark
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 8 2017, 12:58 AM) *

You've already put more work into EDIS than it would take to add a second driver -- and there's more work to make the EDIS function. Follow James recommended coil and you'll be done with ignition. With what's available now, I don't see why anyone should ever use EDIS.
Mueller
Thanks Mark and James.

So i do not need to upgrade to the BIP737 ignition drivers with that VW modual?
Dr Evil
I may have an EDIS4 if you want it.
Mueller
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 9 2017, 10:27 AM) *

I may have an EDIS4 if you want it.

Thanks, I ended up buying the VW unit above. $20 shipped brand new on Amazon, that route seems to be better method now.
Mueller
Silly question, I need to buy or make an engine stand yoke/holder for my Type IV, if I make one does it matter which half of the case I mount to the engine stand to start the assembly?

914work
Perhaps these might help?

McMark
I haven't worked with a MegaSquirt unit yet, so I haven't done a bunch of research on the nuance of adding ignition drivers. But with that coil you're only using a few milliamps to fire the coil, so you don't need beefy drivers. Essentially, any driver will work fine becuase the draw will be far below the safe rating. The BIP737 is something like 11A max. So that VW coil will be about 1% of that.

I always install the stand/yoke on the 3-4 (passenger) side of the engine case.
Mikedrevguy
Look forward to seeing this all come together. Good read. Thanks.
Mueller
Finally, some work related to my 914...

Removed the main cylinder studs this morning.

Noticed one of the smaller studs is bent pretty good. Will have to source another one.

I plan to clean the engine case one more time, might be a little easier with the studs removed. The other side has a lot more oil caked onto it for some reason.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
Cleaned my engine, also deburred it a little bit also by cleaning up the extra aluminum from the casting process. Not as sharp now.

Cleaned it using my pressure washer with media blaster attachment with baking soda.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
In case it is not in Raby's Type IV assembly DVD I have not fully watched,

What do people use and recommend for installing the head/cylinder studs?

Click to view attachment
Mueller
Bump for:

What sealant do people use and recommend for installing the head/cylinder studs?
76-914
Mike, it's in there somewhere but IIRC it was Loctite PST 565 thread sealant. beerchug.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 12 2018, 01:57 PM) *

Mike, it's in there somewhere but IIRC it was Loctite PST 565 thread sealant. beerchug.gif

Thanks, I'll have to finish watching it this weekend.
holtby914
Did you order the DVD recently? I'd love to get a copy.
Mueller
QUOTE(holtby914 @ Jan 12 2018, 04:31 PM) *

Did you order the DVD recently? I'd love to get a copy.

Actually I asked about it and a few weeks later someone sent me their old one anonymously.

I'd put a WTB in the classifieds.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Bug-Me-Video-...build-vol-8.htm

Mueller
Not sure if this qualifies for being cheap or resourceful. Lost a dowel pin and had a perfect sized HSS drill that I figured could be used. Drill still usable so no big deal.

Anyone using special engine break-in oil?
https://type4store.com/products/sealants/jo...-12-quarts.html

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
McMark
thumb3d.gif Lookin' good!
Mueller
Dominic was nice enough to send me a straight engine stud and I got my 1.7 rockers with 911 adjusters.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.