Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will These Calipers Work With the 5 - Lug Conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Korijo914
I have some '97 911 Carrera Brembo calipers that need rebuilding, but otherwise use-able. How do I make them work with the 5 lug 914? I have looked in FAQ's, Google, Bing, etc. Pelican justs sends back to 911's technical BBS.

Can someone help me out? Is there an adapter? Or do I have to buy 914 calipers and space them. What is the best route?

Thanks everyone,

korijo
mepstein
Front or rear?
GeorgeRud
When you converted to 5 lug wheels, did you swap out the struts or just re drill the 4 bolt discs? If you swapped the struts, the Carerra brakes may work with Zcarerra brake discs. Check the bolt spacing on the mounting caliper ears. You might also see if you can find some 911 front struts used.

On my car, I simply used Carrera front struts and swapped out the struts, calipers, and discs as a unit. Probably overkill for a street driven, light 914-6.
Korijo914
Mepstien,

They are front & rear!

George,

Nope, no Carrera struts. They are (will be) drilled & the fronts will be the hubs.

Are the Carrera struts the easier way for the fronts? What about the rears?

Thanks for all the help!

Korijo
rhodyguy
Is this for the blue car?
Korijo914
Blue car for son # 2, yup!
rhodyguy
Is all of the suspention still off of the car? Pm being sent.

Kevin
Korijo914
EVERYTHING is off, out, need to be blasted.
2mAn
Whos getting the rabbit? bye1.gif
914forme
Requires adapters for the calipers

Front Rotor should be 30mm wide, requires I don't know what factory rotor, not sure if the 993-996 stuff fits the old hubs?

Rear Rotor is a 24mm wide unit. 86-89 911 Carrera Rear Rotors work, which you might all ready have.

Rebel Racing makes a complete kit to do what your doing. You will need to mix and match a few things with 911 parts, nothing new just use the Porsche lego system. They will gladly help you get the correct parts for the job.

You will also need a 22-23mm master cylinder. The one you have will most likely be a 19mm, pedal will go to the floor before it moves the pistons in the caliper enough to engage the rotors to stop the car.

Ad it will require 16 inch wheels maybe, you will need to check fitment. 17" should fit. If using later model 993-996 Boxster what ever wheels will require spacers.

Slippery slope, lots of money in brakes that are not needed unless your making uber HP, and running at really high speeds. There is something to be said for seeing huge brakes on a car. And all modern sports car use huge brakes. But think where we have come in tire technology, ABS, and litigation. Tires have improved, ABS allows the layperson not to get in over their head, and well the lawyers being lawyers, have made sure a manufacture can not put drum brakes on a car. It must stop 100% of the time, even when the 99.99% it is not the manufactures fault.

So you know I am on this slope, and navigating its terrain currently and I think I am screwy.gif for doing it. Really good deal on the 996 calipers has caused me to shell out to get them on the car. Needed something to fill the 17" rims, yeah thats it. We creates our reality.
naro914
An easy (relatively) brake upgrade is to use the 993 rears on the front of a 914 - I think you need the 911 spindles though (3.5" spacing on the caliper mount). You have to wallow out the bolt holes on the caliper a tad, but that's it. You can use the standard rotors and 16" wheels. That's what we have on both Papa Smurf and Huey - excellent braking. Standard late 80's 911 Carrera rears on the rear.

and yes, 23mm master cylinder.

The 993 fronts require and adapter kit that I think then requires 17" wheels...
Korijo914
WOW! Lots o'money I don't have!

Guess I'll rebuild 'em & re-sell 'em!

Man, so much money, so little time!

D- korijo out
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.