Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accelerator cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
Hi,

In the process of an engine swap. I went from FI to carbs.
I was able to connect the accelerator cable to the pulley at the engine/carbs but at the pedal cluster the cable collapses.
It looks like a Fork Bolt (Haynes parts breakdown) is supposed to slide over the cable somehow.
Is that correct?

My far-sightedness certainly makes it challenging!

TIA
Steve
TheCabinetmaker
Do you mean the cable goes slack when gas pedal is pressed?
rhodyguy
I think he's trying to hook the front of the cable up after connecting the yoke up first. I think...
74ravenna
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 29 2016, 06:40 PM) *

Do you mean the cable goes slack when gas pedal is pressed?

Yes.
I can watch it bend.
Maybe I didn't connect it at the correct location on the pulley?

Steve
74ravenna
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 29 2016, 06:54 PM) *

I think he's trying to hook the front of the cable up after connecting the yoke up first. I think...

I never disconnected the front of the cable.
The only connection I needed to make was at the carbs.
It acts like the cable might have dropped out of a guide or something

Steve
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Jun 29 2016, 04:05 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 29 2016, 06:54 PM) *

I never disconnected the front of the cable.
The only connection I needed to make was at the carbs.
It acts like the cable might have dropped out of a guide or something

Steve

It could be a bent pivot arm on the cluster!
wndsnd
I can add more description of this engine being set up with tangerine cable throttle system.

Did you check with Chris is he uses stock throttle cable or maybe something different.

Sounds like you need to shorten it up.
wndsnd
The fork bolt is usually the clutch cable. The throttle has. A ball socket at the cluster.
74ravenna
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jun 29 2016, 09:19 PM) *

I can add more description of this engine being set up with tangerine cable throttle system.

Did you check with Chris is he uses stock throttle cable or maybe something different.

I haven't asked Chris but I will.

"Sounds like you need to shorten it up."
I think you are correct.

Thanks
Steve
Darren C
I had a similar experience. It was slack in the cable. Try pulling more cable out at the carb end then clamping it in the lever. This should tighten up the slack at the pedal end and stop the clevis from sagging.
You also need to check the pedal bushes aren't worn out too.

Good luck
74ravenna
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jun 30 2016, 07:15 AM) *

I had a similar experience. It was slack in the cable. Try pulling more cable out at the carb end then clamping it in the lever. This should tighten up the slack at the pedal end and stop the clevis from sagging.
You also need to check the pedal bushes aren't worn out too.

Good luck

Thank you.

Steve
ChrisFoley

Steve,
We probably did the original installation for John so he doesn't have a copy of the installation instructions.
I'll email you a copy.
There should be very little slack on the cable when it's installed properly.
rhodyguy
Thank you for clarifying the use of the tangerine system John.

Is is possible you wrapped the cable around the master pulley in the wrong direction?
74ravenna
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 30 2016, 08:34 AM) *

Thank you for clarifying the use of the tangerine system John.

Is is possible you wrapped the cable around the master pulley in the wrong direction?

I went over the top of the pulley. Basically I just copied what was already there.
Part of the cable was there from when John sold it to me so I only had to loosen the set screw and install my existing cable.
It was such a simple procedure I really didn't think it through, I had a little free time and wanted to finish one of the items on my list and that seemed so simple.
I should've paid a little more attention and thought it thru before I started.
My guess is, I have to go back to the pulley and take up some of the cable.

Lesson here is don't take anything for granted!

Thanks
Steve

74ravenna
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 30 2016, 08:29 AM) *

Steve,
We probably did the original installation for John so he doesn't have a copy of the installation instructions.
I'll email you a copy.
There should be very little slack on the cable when it's installed properly.

Thanks Chris, that would be great!

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.