Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best option for interior door handles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Mine look like crap and there's no new stock (that I can find). Anyone have any ideas?
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 30 2016, 06:08 PM) *

Mine look like crap and there's no new stock (that I can find). Anyone have any ideas?

Put a WTB in classifies. Not new but members have nice ones to sell you.
Rand
Or convert to GT style straps. smile.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 30 2016, 06:08 PM) *

I have a few sets. PM me.
jrblackbox
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 30 2016, 02:58 PM) *

Straps were an idea that I was considering, I think the door handles, in particular the drivers side with the pocket are way too bulky. Anybody got pics?
SixerJ
Link is to the real thing, but there are copies kicking about. There is a guy on eBay appbiz? Something like that who makes a copy (strap and hole to my mind is not right)

Plus Mike was doing door panel GB. There was talk of a GT panel option but I don't think it came together

One of the tricky bits to replicate is the metal rectangle trim that goes through the panel. That (and the incorrect strap) if I recall is what is missing from appbiz

I managed to find a pair of trims in Germany, if you wanted to copy them I'd be happy to dig out from the stash, photo and measure for you

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/gt_door_panels

914dave
I bought the repro's and they are nice. You'd have to look hard to tell the difference. Picked them up at Aitomotion I think
Steve
The local bug shows always have them, but beware of the cheap Chinese knock offs.
I bought a pair of nice chrome ones and one of them died, so I replaced it with two VW rabbit winders. They don't look too bad.
http://www.socalautoparts.com/index.php/wi...256_1325?page=2
The above place also carries them. I need to swing by and check the quality.
bdstone914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 30 2016, 03:08 PM) *

PM sent
Mark Henry
Take off the old ones and look at the part number, they are just aircooled VW handles, nothing special.
Can't remember, but they are bus or 411/412 handles...something like that.

Same with the winder handles. I think they are 70's beetle/bus.
Does the early handles have the chrome center? If so they are T3.

If the part number starts with 1, 2, 3 or 4 it's a VW aircooled number.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Jun 30 2016, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 30 2016, 02:58 PM) *

Straps were an idea that I was considering, I think the door handles, in particular the drivers side with the pocket are way too bulky. Anybody got pics?

Here is my solution. I have zero clearance with the roll cage.
Inch and a half belt leather. (Real leather, not the bonded crap.) Stock mounting locations.
Hardware scavenged from miscellaneous coffee can under my work bench.
They are strong enough to work as a door pull, but not as an 'Oh Shit Handle'.

Open.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Closed.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.