Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taking my work home
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Darren C
So, a few of you may already know where and what I do at work. I posted a link here, a while ago to an exclusive video I made 3 years ago deep inside “Area 51” where new models evolve and are tested and evaluated. If anyone missed it, there’s a link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pcCBJiSFDg

Tonight my work came home……

Under cover of darkness a pre-production 2017 model year Wraith series II left “Area 51” for evaluation testing……..

This is a WORLD EXCLUSIVE just for you guy’s on 914World……

The Series II Rolls-Royce Wraith is not due for production until 2017 with expected customer cars to follow in the fall…….

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Ladies and Gentlemen,
We have new bodywork, new design wheels, updates to interior and software enhancements, the 2017 Wraith.

Sorry I can't take photo's in daylight.....that would be too much. I'd be shot at dawn ;-)

Fook me its fast too…..
7TPorsh
Luv that headliner.
Darren C
Yes it’s the starlight headliner. The prototype cars have an array of constellations. The default is the night sky above the Goodwood factory on the night the first Phantom rolled off the line. If you have enough spare cash down the sides of the sofa you can have the night sky with major constellations from your hemisphere on the day of your birth.

This test car is known as “Harry”. The cars from each model/development batch are “code” nick-named by the works. The latest batch are named after characters from Harry Potter!
wndsnd
Way cool!
sb914
Wow! - what a great job! Good for you.
Larmo63
Too bad they built that car with the steering wheel on the wrong side.
falcor75
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 1 2016, 02:47 AM) *

Too bad they built that car with the steering wheel on the wrong side.

Actually its on the right side.... biggrin.gif
r_towle
I can't believe you drive that, work there, and still like 914's.
SixerJ
Can't believe that it's going to be left behind what I would normally say looks like a row of council house lockups, its definitely not going to fit into one of those........ idea.gif
mgp4591
I can't believe you are allowed to show anyone a 2017 car yet without getting shot anyway! shades.gif ar15.gif
Darren C
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 1 2016, 06:53 AM) *

I can't believe you drive that, work there, and still like 914's.

That's because I have "good taste" ;-)
Darren C
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 1 2016, 08:02 AM) *

I can't believe you are allowed to show anyone a 2017 car yet without getting shot anyway! shades.gif ar15.gif

It's called "controlled leakage"

I had the very first Series II car at home on my driveway over a year ago!

I certainly couldn't even mention it at all back then. It's all about timing. I wish you could see some of the things I get to see.

On that note if anyone (from US, not UK, sorry home guys) is in UK on 23rd November this year PM me.
rgalla9146

It's great that they provide employment to many people.
Own a Rolls Royce ? Nah, rather have the money.
Recent models have all looked like cartoons to me.
Avalanche of depreciation in three years.
IMHO

Chris H.
Very nice. I bet it smells fantastic inside.
mstein95
Thank you for sharing. pray.gif
Dutchdriver
Nice car, but does it still have it's original FI or are there carbs on that engine?
smile.gif biggrin.gif
Larmo63
There are quite a few RR around here, Newport Beach, Newport Coast, Beverly Hills, etc. that I've been noticing lately.

They are very nice and show a certain level of having more money than you know what to do with it.

I like them, especially the coupe with the stainless top.
Andyrew
Such a beautiful car! Me bringing my work home involves a lot more paper...
jrblackbox
wow! you got a great job!!
Mueller
Very cool,

I always tell the wife that if won big in the Lotto I'd get a Bentley Continental GT, I never thought about the RR Wraith

Now to get those 6 numbers and come visit you!
veekry9
Click to view attachment

Big Roller keep on rolling.Proud Mary keep on moving.
Bentley WO throttle.
A nice looking proto from a few years ago that caught my fancy.
What you pay for when you make a purchase:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=rr+sleeve+va...ve+valve+engine
Some great engineering.More than just a car.
So,roll them bones.
biggrin.gif
/
Darren C
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Jul 1 2016, 07:33 AM) *

Can't believe that it's going to be left behind what I would normally say looks like a row of council house lockups, its definitely not going to fit into one of those........ idea.gif

You can take the boy outta the Council house but you cant take the Council house outta the boy.

No chance on the Wraith getting in these garages I can't even open the 914 doors in there!
Darren C
QUOTE (rgalla9146)

It's great that they provide employment to many people.
Own a Rolls Royce ? Nah, rather have the money.
Recent models have all looked like cartoons to me.
Avalanche of depreciation in three years.
IMHO

I mainly kind of agree with you. For us mere mortals who had hard knock lives standing in line waiting for the welfare dime, it’s a bitter obscene pill that some folk can buy cars at lottery win prices and not give a damn about depreciation.
That said as years have gone by and I passed 50, I have learned to accept that we can’t change these things and folks can do what they want with their cash. Sure we may all still judge a person on what car they drive, as we are ourselves all judged at first sight by others. We can all criticize how they look, I do just that every day, and in small tiny steps I try and get things changed.
Like you the depreciation on any high end motor car scares me to death. But given the chance I’d wager that if we had the money, as petrolheads (I think you call em Gearheads in US) we’d all be more inclined to go and buy some supercar or another. Granted the connoisseurs amongst us would go for some lovely old high end classics, but say you still had bags of cash left over, you’d most likely succumb to the indulgence of a new Rolls-Royce.
The problem then is that you want something that your peers don’t have, you want something more expensive, more exclusive, more outrageous than anyone has had before. This is what fuels the Bespoke department at R-R. I love working with the team in that department. The recent run of Louis XIII Phantoms for Stephen Hung had some amazing bespoke details. Safes concealed in the door panels with wristwatch holders to ensure that if you were ever out and got caught short wearing an inappropriate or inferior timepiece to your host you could open up your watch safe and select a different diamond encrusted platinum Rolex!
It really is a wonderland to behold.
So if any genuine 914 US member is over here in UK in November PM me.

QUOTE (Chris H)

Very nice. I bet it smells fantastic inside.

Well Chris, I have to tell you it does smell good. However in my opinion its not as good as an old Rolls-Royce that has mellowed and matured like a good wine or scotch.
I don’t know if you guys are watching the new series of BBC Top Gear? The new hosts Matt LeBlanc and my pal Chris Evans made a small film last month that was shown on our UK TV screens last Sunday. I got asked by the BBC to help make that piece. (Supporting the old Rolls-Royce, not the new) as I do a lot of TV and movie work in my spare time.
Chris Evans explains exactly what I’m trying to say about the smells of cars just being better when they become classic.
Just in the same way you open your garage door on your 914, you can smell it’s a 914 blindfolded, they have their own unique odour. The same goes for an old Rolls, more so if you’ve not driven it in a while, the whiff of finest Connolly hide, Walnut, and Wilton lambs wool rugs combined with old adhesives is overpowering to the senses and cannot be found in the sanitary new Rolls-Royce just yet. Time will tell if the Bavarian bull hide and water based glues and lacquers develop and mellow this way.

For those of you probably drifting into unconsciousness reading my reply, Chris’s post made me think of that old John Carpenter, Stephen King Movie, Christine.. when the kid goes to buy the junk car from the old fella.

“My asshole brother bought her back in September '57. That's when you got your new model year, in September. Brand-new, she was. She had the smell of a brand-new car. That's just about the finest smell in the world, 'cept maybe for pussy”

Veekry9

When I left the Armed Forces my first job and training in civilian life was at Crewe (when Bentley & R-R were one company) I got to work on, drive and test many pre production Bentleys too. My only failing in practicing what I preach and my confession here to you guys, is that I did end up buying a brand new one to add to my ever increasing car collection. I have to say I was sick to the bottom of my stomach with the worry (off work for a week I was so physically ill) from parting with £1/4 million GBP for a car. I did not enjoy the experience one bit. I’m a kid who grew up in a single parent family sleeping 3 to a bed in my grandparents council house, so to me, buying that car was a fundamentally wrong thing to do.
I still have that Bentley in my collection but instead of it being a joyous thing to have been able to do; it is the first and last brand new car I shall ever buy.
Granted the thing is a masterpiece of engineering. I watched it going down the production line being built and had the 155mph limiter de-regulated but was told not go near 205mph as that’s the gearbox critical failure speed. I’ve covered 35K miles in it and driven all across Europe and around several racing circuits including Nurburgring. Do I regret it....yes and no. I regret the depreciation when I could have bought 2 Aston Martin DB5's instead and now have £2million. But equally I'm glad I did it, just because I was able too. (if that makes sense)

IPB Image

There you go….hands up who’s just passed new judgement on what kinda guy you think I am now?

Nice as all this is Veekry9 you, like me will probably get more fun and kicks from this old little project from my past.
IPB Image
Rolls-Royce WWII Aero engine V12, 27litre shoe horned into an old Phantom.

This is more of what I’m all about than some guy who just happened to have an opportunity so he grabbed it with both hands and bought a new Bentley.

;-)
veekry9
Click to view attachment
https://grabcad.com/library/rolls-royce-merlin63-engine-head

The sheer awesomeness of a classic RR chassis with a Merlin,properly bedded,is astounding.
Now,a modern EFI and ignition system would enable the civilizing and taming of the V12 to it's new purpose.
Crank position and cam phasing sensors to allow the engine to fire on the first compression cycle.
And tires,you're going to require a set of custom spokes and tires made to handle the weight and speeds possible.
Having the resources and ability to build your own Phantom III Special is a rare position indeed.
The cowling below the grille makes an intake for an oil-cooler,I would hazard.
Seeing it roar past on the M3,any schoolboy could answer correctly,"Merlin".

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rolls+royce+...+merlin+phantom
http://www.enginehistory.org/Piston/Rolls-...e/RHM/RHM.shtml
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vedu2ZmE5YI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fo7SmNuUU4
biggrin.gif
http://gloucestershiremotorshow.co.uk/abou...ey-spitfire.php
The bidding was to reach a half million pounds on auction.
huh.gif
/
ClayPerrine
Do y'all (Yes, I am a Texan) still have the blueprints for the Merlin engine? One of those built with today's CNC machine tools would be awesome.

Darren C
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 2 2016, 11:28 PM) *

Do y'all (Yes, I am a Texan) still have the blueprints for the Merlin engine? One of those built with today's CNC machine tools would be awesome.

Hi Clay,

My Grandfather was an engineer who worked alongside Sir Henry Royce in Nightingale Road, Derby UK, before WWII.
During the war, the workforce moved to build Merlin amongst other R-R Aero engines. When he passed in 1993 I inherited most of his tools. I have the original spanners, taps and dies, reamers, boring and honing tools, over length drills and many other special tools that he used to build the Merlins first time around, plus special factory tools from the vehicle department for the 40/50, 20HP, 20/25 and the 25/30.
The Blueprints still exist and Paul & Andy Wood (friends of mine) are currently the world leaders in Merlin Restoration. Building complete new Merlins using CNC would never be the same, although some individual parts are re made today to support the remaining engines by CNC.
Barrington Hares built an EXACT working 1/5 scale model back in the 1970's using the factory blueprints. All by hand before CNC existed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xe1LL1IC7Y
Mueller
1/4 scale Merlin kits

http://quarterscalemerlin.com/

Darren, do you have any good pictures of the tools? The old school tools are always the neatest to see.
r_towle
Darren,
You need to have someone film you doing a standing burn out in that car.
A nice long smoky burn....

Then save that till the car is released and post it on YouTube.
Mueller
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 1 2016, 12:09 AM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 1 2016, 08:02 AM) *

It's called "controlled leakage"

I had the very first Series II car at home on my driveway over a year ago!

I certainly couldn't even mention it at all back then. It's all about timing. I wish you could see some of the things I get to see.

On that note if anyone (from US, not UK, sorry home guys) is in UK on 23rd November this year PM me.

I showed the wife this tread and car, WOW was her response about the car...I mentioned us going back over there for vacation in November but that week is Black Friday and she'd catch hell for not being there that week sad.gif

Besides, we'd have our twin girls with us.
914_teener
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 3 2016, 08:02 PM) *

Darren,

Instigator.

That would be cool.

Darren C
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 4 2016, 04:02 AM) *

Darren,

What? Like this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWF2tO2YOXU

Not the 2017 model, but the latest Black Badge limited edition that I posted information on here a couple of months ago about the Carbon fibre wheel issues.

Mueller,

I'll PM you some pics of the tools tonight after work and details of the money can't buy Nov 23rd VIP factory tour....you could always leave the wife & girls at home :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.