Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much oil do you burn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

I'm needing to add a quart every hundred miles or so. No puddles under the car in the garage and no blue smoke or oil smell when driving. The front oil pump cover does seem to be wet but not dripping and it looks like a small leak coming from above the pushrod tubes towards the back of the engine is getting oil on the tin above the heat exchanger. But nothing major. Whaddaya think?
green914
A quart every 100 miles would be leaving a noticeable trail under the car if it is just being lost from leakage. Might be a combination of leakage and burning some oil. Have you done a compression test?
SirAndy
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jun 30 2016, 06:34 PM) *
I'm needing to add a quart every hundred miles or so. Whaddaya think?

1000 mile road trip plus 2 autocross events and no refill needed. Didn't even leave a dent on my dipstick.
shades.gif
r_towle
How many miles on the motor?
How is your head venting system setup?
How is your case venting setup?

By setup I mean where is the oil going from those two venting systems?
Coondog
151,000 on a 1.8, does not burn a drop of oil between 3,000 mile oil changes. smile.gif
BeemerSteve
Not even a half quart between oil changes every 3k
Mark Henry
Half quart every oil change is damn near perfect, full quart is acceptable for T4.
A quart every 100 miles is called fogging for mosquitoes. blink.gif

Your rings and/or valve guides are shot, or you have a serious venting issue.
Tom_T
agree.gif ....with Mr. Henry & others

IIRC the owner's manual said up to 1 Qt per 800 miles is acceptable, but you're well beyond that, & it's going somewhere(s) you're not finding yet.

I see it's a McMark 2056 build, so why not call him for whatever needs done on it? confused24.gif

Otherwise Tangerine is close to NY.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
iankarr
Thanks guys. Yeah, seemed really high to me too. Haven't don't a compression test but I will. Yes it's a mcmark 2056 from 8 or so years and 10k miles ago. As for venting, the hose from the oil tower goes into a baffled breather can, which is basically empty.

There is a thin layer of dirty oil fuzz on the bottom of the tranz and shift rod.

I'm thinking that maybe the oil cover behind the fan has a decent leak which really only shows up under pressure. The fuzz may be caused by the oil being slung backwards at speed. That and maybe burning a bit, but the car doesn't have that unmistakable oil smell. Really strange.

Yes, I'm close to Chris's place and will def take it there if I can't figure this out. Will also ask Mark.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.