Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wide Body trend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alphaogre
poke.gif **WARNING IF YOU ARE A PURIST LEAVE NOW OR YOU MAY EXPERIENCE AN ANEURISM OR MAJOR MENTAL BREAKDOWN!** barf.gif

It's no secret that the wide body fenders are a huge automotive trend with guys like RWB, Liberty Walk, RocketBunny etc... Even though the 914 GT was wide body back in the day, I was wondering if the 914 could fit within this realm today.

I personally love the RWB Porsches and the wide body versions of old Z's or e30 BMWs. Im often told the 914 is too flat and boxy, but thats actually what I really like about it aesthetically.

Anyway, I could not sleep last night so I started playing around with photoshopping my 914 as if it was going to SEMA biggrin.gif hahaha

I thick it looks better then I was expecting...

Let the headbang.gif anger begin haha

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
The rear looks OK ...
thumb3d.gif

The front, not so much ...
icon8.gif

turnaround89
I agree with Sir Andy, I like how the rear flare comes forward more than normal.

The front looks like there is large dent in the flare jsut behind the tire. If that wasn't there, I think it would look pretty cool!!

driving.gif
green914
Does look slightly od on the rear portion of front flares. agree.gif
The question is: do you like it? confused24.gif I like the stock look, and the wide body.
Mueller
It's been done before more or less.

Look at any of the Sheridan or Beck body kits.

IPB Image

GeorgeRud
I think the Altec Lansing 914 was the ultimate 'wide body' 914. The other body is not bad as well!Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 1 2016, 05:13 PM) *

I think the Altec Lansing 914 was the ultimate 'wide body' 914. The other body is not bad as well!Click to view attachment

Dude, that is someones grandma, hahaha...(at least by now she should be)
SirAndy
IHMO, the only kit that ever really pulled off the "modern" wide body look is this one:

Click to view attachment

cheer.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 1 2016, 05:26 PM) *

IHMO, the only kit that ever really pulled off the "modern" wide body look is this one:

Click to view attachment

cheer.gif

And he has the motor to pull off that look!

Cairo94507
If I build another 914 after my Six is done, doubtful as I will be to old by then, I would definitely want to put Chris' Signature flares on the car front and back. I just love the look. wub.gif

http://www.tangerineracing.com/bodywork_and_restoration.htm
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
RickS
As a card carrying heretic I have never cared for the boxy look of GT flares. I know they are original and therefore sacred, but whose to say the designer wasn't on a bender the night before the design was due? The OPs back flares are IMHO how they should have been done. Clone for the front and you will have a fine looking wide body.

Call me crazy but I like it.
infraredcalvin
I like the look of the op design... Massage the forms a bit and you've got something. Also put some minilites on there, it'll look better...

Good starting concept!
Mueller
Not digging the rendering...rear flares too 911/Chalon kit car looking for me wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Jul 1 2016, 03:25 PM) *

Reminds me a bit of a wide-body Renault Alpine ...
idea.gif

IPB Image
mgp4591
Uh, do you think that file was big enough?! blink.gif
Hmmm.... must've been a previous setting. When I saw the Alpine at first, the left headlight filled my screen....
Alphaogre
Yea but that's the point, there are new fender kits that are a "re-imagined" wide body look. The flares in the photo were taken off a car, so that's was the style that people are running now, more of an open air part of the front fender. Don't get me wrong, I'm not digging all the new wide body stuff coming out now, but I do like the idea of re-imagining a concept and thinking outside the box...

Below is the original photos of the flares.

Click to view attachment

Some other wide body style cars now. Definitely not original but somewhat a tribute to the past.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cwpeden
aktion035.gif I like em all!
veekry9
Click to view attachment
Strictly utilitarian,functional and horrible.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/cat...trailer-fenders

Click to view attachment
Why the 944's shapely flanks look so good,smooth.
biggrin.gif
/
veekry9
Click to view attachment
http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/03/iamthe...powered-builds/
Looks great,goes real quick with all that power.
Note the webbing on the rollcage's bridges to the body structure,rigid.
The wheels are the same used on the Ital Design Tapiro 914,in the 70's.
http://carwp.blogspot.ca/2014/05/italdesig...ncept-1970.html
smile.gif
/
rothaus
Here is another one

This car looks actually better in person that on the picture

IPB Image

IPB Image

I don't like the flares which stop at the rear end at 2h

I also made some flares for my 911, since I could not find anything that would give me just enough space I needed for the tires.

IPB Image

Cheers
Engelbert

sixnotfour
beer3.gif
somd914
In regard to Alphaogre's renderings, +1 on the rear, the front doesn't do it for me, just too much going on for the simple fender (and simple side profile in general).

I also agree the original factory flares were too boxy, or at least too wide for the boxiness. I think they would look better half as wide...

Also agree that Tangerine Racing's flares are sweet - more appealing to me - not as aggressive looking and unique.
veekry9
QUOTE(rothaus @ Jul 2 2016, 07:36 AM) *

Here is another...

Click to view attachment
I also made some flares for my 911, since I could not find anything that would give me just enough space I needed for the tires.
Cheers
Engelbert

Those look just right,a well executed effort in grp.
Do you still have the molds?
I'm sure others would like them too.
biggrin.gif
My 914
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Jul 1 2016, 06:25 PM) *

poke.gif **WARNING IF YOU ARE A PURIST LEAVE NOW OR YOU MAY EXPERIENCE AN ANEURISM OR MAJOR MENTAL BREAKDOWN!** barf.gif

It's no secret that the wide body fenders are a huge automotive trend with guys like RWB, Liberty Walk, RocketBunny etc... Even though the 914 GT was wide body back in the day, I was wondering if the 914 could fit within this realm today.

I personally love the RWB Porsches and the wide body versions of old Z's or e30 BMWs. Im often told the 914 is too flat and boxy, but thats actually what I really like about it aesthetically.

Anyway, I could not sleep last night so I started playing around with photoshopping my 914 as if it was going to SEMA biggrin.gif hahaha

I thick it looks better then I was expecting...

Let the headbang.gif anger begin haha

Click to view attachment

I'm not a purist but would like to be historically accurate. Was there a 914 model that had flares as standard equipment? I have seen some restored 914-6's with flares and many without and have always wondered what the difference was.
somd914
QUOTE(My 914 @ Jul 2 2016, 12:44 PM) *

I'm not a purist but would like to be historically accurate. Was there a 914 model that had flares as standard equipment? I have seen some restored 914-6's with flares and many without and have always wondered what the difference was.

To the best of my knowledge, but those more knowledgeable will chime in, the only wide body 914s from the factory were the factory race-configured 914-6 known as the GT. I believe the factory flares could be purchased through dealers for installation on any 914...
barefoot
You want wide body, I'll show you wide body, here you go:
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jul 2 2016, 09:49 AM) *
To the best of my knowledge, but those more knowledgeable will chime in, the only wide body 914s from the factory were the factory race-configured 914-6 known as the GT. I believe the factory flares could be purchased through dealers for installation on any 914...

One could also order a street 914 with the m471 option from the factory, which included the metal GT flares.

So no, not just factory race cars had them.
smile.gif
somd914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2016, 02:56 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Jul 2 2016, 09:49 AM) *

One could also order a street 914 with the m471 option from the factory, which included the metal GT flares.

So no, not just factory race cars had them.
smile.gif

Thanks for the clarification, I'd forgotten about that package. Question however, was the m471 package available for fours or just sixes?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.