Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motorcycle jack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
Well, I got a new tool today, a motorcycle floor jack. To use it, I had to put a 2x4 in the back and a 3/4" plywood in the front, to balance the engine/tranny on it. These photos were only a test.

Any concerns about the placement of the jack underneath the motor/tranny?
Too far forward?

pic 1 of 5

watsonrx13
2 of 5
watsonrx13
3 of 5
watsonrx13
4 of 5
watsonrx13
5 of 5
Trekkor
looks really stable and safe. One man operation.

Good job clap.gif

KT
Root_Werks
Yeah, my engines are usually balancing on a regular jack(nice one though) and me holding it from tipping with my foot, or hand or head. laugh.gif Your method looks much safer. smile.gif
fiid
I think (not sure) that you will want to hold up something a bit further aft. I think your location will cause the engine/tranny to tip backwards when you unbolt the tranny.

watsonrx13
QUOTE (fiid @ Apr 8 2005, 06:30 PM)
I think (not sure) that you will want to hold up something a bit further aft.  I think your location will cause the engine/tranny to tip backwards when you unbolt the tranny.

That's what I was thinking also. The problem with moving the jack rearward is that the section that holds the bottle-jack hits the tranny. The only place that I can position the jack is underneath the engine, with the bottle-jack section behind the clutch.

Has anyone used this type of jack to remove/install the engine/tranny?
spare time toys
I like the sport model I got at SAMS.
TheCabinetmaker
Yep! got one just like it. Works great for removing or installing tranni or engine seperately, but, together, no!
When you drop the combo, the engine drops but the tranni doesn't, as the tranni hits the bottle jack. It is stable, but a real pain in the ass. Lay a 2x4 the length of the tranni/engine on the jack. Raise it up and down, and you'll see. However, it has become well used to raise one side of the car. lay a 4' 2x crossways on the front of the jack and place under the long. I feel fairly safe under the car with the safety bar engauged, but still use a jackstand to be sure.

Like yours Watson, not Spare times.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Apr 8 2005, 06:50 PM)
I like the sport model I got at SAMS.

They have this model on sale at the local Sams for $77. Seems like a hell of a deal.

Bob
Ray Warren
I had no problem using the motorcycle jack.
I put the jack in from the side of the car not the rear
and I just had a piece of 1/2"x 2' x 2' plywood on the jack.
Worked good.
J P Stein
Sure. I took the time to set it just for pulling the motor trans with stability being the focus. A pic, of course. Note the jack end is fwd.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.