Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
earossi
I have a 901 bolted up to a 3.2 911 engine. The tranny was refurbished before installation, and we changed out all the shift bushings and hardware at that time. The installation now has about 1500 miles on it. Recently, we began experiencing difficulty in shifting the tranny into first, second, or reverse. Today, we were not able to do that at all.

The car is a street car, and is not hot rodded; however, we are always fearful of putting to much torque through the tranny. As an aside, when we had the refreshening done, I did have the billet side cover installed on the tranny which had been recommended.

Any ideas on where to start to solve the shifting issues?
whitetwinturbo
Dr. Evil could weigh in on this one........... beer.gif
injunmort
side shift or tail?
r_towle
Can you get it in those gear with th engine off?
Bob L.
I would check the cone screws and shifter pinch bolt.
earossi
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Jul 3 2016, 01:48 PM) *

I would check the cone screws and shifter pinch bolt.

Finally got under the car to inspect things. Found the rear tapered cone head screw almost entirely backed out of the tail piece. Re-tightened it, and I can now shift the car; but, not as easily as before. Can I assume that I now need to realign the gates using one of the procedures mentioned earlier in the responses to my original thread?

Seems straight forward to put the tranny in 3rd, and then to loosen the tail shaft piece to allow me to reposition the shift lever to the 3rd gear position. Is it really that simple?
earossi
There is one other issue with the /6 conversion that I should mention. The installation resulted in a clutch pedal that has to be fully depressed to the floor board to allow for shifting without any grinding of gears. The installer tightened the clutch cable as much as possible; but, the pedal still has to be fully depressed to make a quiet shift.

Any advice on that one? It is possible that now that I have 1500 miles on the install, that the clutch cable has perhaps stretched some preventing a full declutch. If so, can I just readjust the cable to take up for the stretched cable?
r_towle
Have someone press the clutch pedal to the floor and take a picture of the clutch release fork on the passenger side of the tranny.

It could be hitting.
It could need a shim under the pivot.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.