Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 - One of the 12 Rarest Cars in the World
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914four
Did a quick search but did not see this article posted here. I apologize if I missed it.

The only Porsche on the list of the top 12 rarest cars in the world and #5 on the list at $3M.

http://www.goliath.com/auto/the-12-rarest-...?streamview=all

Click to view attachment
Steve
I haven't seen it. Thanks for sharing. I can't believe George's 916 is worth 3 million.
I think he paid around $125k for it.
JmuRiz
Speculator for sure, I can't see spending 550/904/906 money on a 916!
Maybe they thought $300k must have been $3m for a rare porsche smile.gif
thelogo
Yeh 3 million seems a bit steep

Even if it was 300k id say thats money not too well spent

Id rather buy a 6 pack of tequiza beer
And 300.... thousands dollar a night hookers but thats just me

Mean while ill be putting around in my 73 1.7 lol-2.gif

Happy 4th people flag.gif
mepstein
Anybody can throw out a price. its not real until the money changes hands.

(and even then, its not always real.)
GeorgeRud
Value aside, one of the greatest features of air cooled Porsches is the ability to modify and build the car you want. The 916's performance can easily be achieved by any 914 conversion and you can have fun without keeping a museum piece.
jmitro
did you guys not see the line.....

It has sold for $3 million to private buyers in recent years.

money has changed hands according to the article. There's no speculating there...
jim_hoyland
Anyone actually seen this car ?
Steve
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 3 2016, 11:45 AM) *

Value aside, one of the greatest features of air cooled Porsches is the ability to modify and build the car you want. The 916's performance can easily be achieved by any 914 conversion and you can have fun without keeping a museum piece.

agree.gif
If someone gave me a 916, I would quickly sell it. I would rather have my 914.
KELTY360
QUOTE(jmitro @ Jul 3 2016, 12:06 PM) *

money has changed hands according to the article. There's no speculating there...

Yeah, it's on the internet, so it must be true. I'm calling BS on $3 mil. I thought the article was sketchy overall. $1,000,000 for a '69 Camaro...c'mon.
whitetwinturbo
............run VIN to see if it was one of Ferry's cars?
My 914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 3 2016, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(jmitro @ Jul 3 2016, 12:06 PM) *

Yeah, it's on the internet, so it must be true. I'm calling BS on $3 mil. I thought the article was sketchy overall. $1,000,000 for a '69 Camaro...c'mon.

I agree. Just google 10 most expensive cars and you get a whole assortment of lists! This just happened to be one of many.
gms
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 3 2016, 02:22 PM) *

I cannot tell if it is 0017 or 0018 but 0018 was at the 50th anniversary of Porsche in Monterey 1998. Car was beautiful with a pumpkin leather interior
Mueller
I went to an event at Jerry Woods Enterprises in Campbell, CA years ago, I could have sworn there was an off white 916 in the parking lot, they had a rope offed barricade around it if I remember correctly.

No idea if real or a damn good conversion (had steel top)
gms
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 4 2016, 03:52 PM) *

I went to an event at Jerry Woods Enterprises in Campbell, CA years ago, I could have sworn there was an off white 916 in the parking lot, they had a rope offed barricade around it if I remember correctly.

0019 is the white car and I don't believe it has ever left the UK
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 4 2016, 10:38 PM) *

I cannot tell if it is 0017 or 0018 but 0018 was at the 50th anniversary of Porsche in Monterey 1998. Car was beautiful with a pumpkin leather interior

Hi,

it is the no. 17

See here for more info:
http://www.pyritz-classics.de/fahrzeuge/porsche-916-2/

That car is currently owned by a member of the German Porsche 914-6 Club.

I saw it at the Stuttgart Retro Classics Show this year.

Here you find some more pics:
http://veedubclub.blogspot.de/2014/03/retr...ics-part-2.html
Mueller
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 4 2016, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 4 2016, 03:52 PM) *

0019 is the white car and I don't believe it has ever left the UK

thanks, I know I have seen one there, could have been another color, I just remember seeing roof and thinking how cool that was.

For the life of me I cannot remember the younger guys name from Smart Racing, I think he was one of the guys that started the 911SC Cup Series from about 10 year ago. I think he was there at the time.

Andy might have been there, I think we got to sit in a 962 and get a picture taken in it.

SKL1
Looking at the pix of that blue car, it's interesting the front shock towers aren't painted black like all the OEM 914-6's I've ever seen.
Does AA have the silver one that originally went to Peter Gregg and Brumos?
914Sixer
Yes, the silver one AA has came from Brumos.
sbsix
This is the 00018 car that lived in California for many years. It carried the CA blue plate of "916 S" and it was repainted at the factory to Duncan Blue early in it's life. It always had the Cork color interior.

I must have a 100 pictures of this car from various get togethers over the years and the car was gorgeous in person. It came up for sale a few years ago, advertised in Hemmings, and a friend and I checked it out. The owner wanted $350,000 for it back then and I heard it was sold and went to Austria from California. Somewhere on YouTube there is a video of it on the autobahn being driven hard.

My wife wouldn't agree to sell our house to buy it.
Perry Kiehl Clone
I should've got the Jerry Leonard 916 when it was $75k, and I was single
Gustl
QUOTE(sbsix @ Jul 5 2016, 04:46 PM) *

This is the 00018 car that lived in California for many years. It carried the CA blue plate of "916 S" and it was repainted at the factory to Duncan Blue early in it's life. It always had the Cork color interior.

I must have a 100 pictures of this car from various get togethers over the years and the car was gorgeous in person. It came up for sale a few years ago, advertised in Hemmings, and a friend and I checked it out. The owner wanted $350,000 for it back then and I heard it was sold and went to Austria from California. Somewhere on YouTube there is a video of it on the autobahn being driven hard.

My wife wouldn't agree to sell our house to buy it.

nope - as Kaeferfreund already wrote, it's #0017 ...

the video you're refering to was made from me, when I got the passenger seat at a test drive in Austria on 2007-06-22

that's me, next to #0018

Click to view attachment

that's #0017 at the Retro Classics 2014 in Stuttgart:

Click to view attachment

bandjoey
All I can say is WOW! wub.gif
colingreene
I mean, its cool but id rather have a lot of other things.
green914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 3 2016, 11:13 AM) *

Anybody can throw out a price. its not real until the money changes hands.

(and even then, its not always real.) agree.gif

Cool car, but 3 million ... WOW!
Perry Kiehl Clone
QUOTE(colingreene @ Jul 5 2016, 09:15 AM) *

I mean, its cool but id rather have a lot of other things.

That's why I didn't bite on the GL 916. In 20/20 hindsight, vintage Porsches are a better bet than the market.
Dominic
My guess is that the person who wrote the article on the 12 most rare cars probably owns one of those 916's...nothing like pumping up your own net worth biggrin.gif
sbsix
Yes it's a different car for sure than 00018; the first picture in this thread appears lighter than the last picture of 00017. Plus the interior shows in the second picture.
Bleyseng
I saw the Blue 916 years ago in Seattle at a gas station. The owner was nice and the car was beautiful..... piratenanner.gif
Maltese Falcon
One of my close business clients (owns a 916) informed me that the 916 started its life in the factory as a 914-4 tub. Having converted my 4 cyl to 6 cyl in 1978, I'm good with that .
Marty
JeffBowlsby
I seem to recall that all 914's began production on the same line in Osnabrueck, right? Then at some point the 914/6 (and presumably the 916) were peeled off and given specific 914/6 items like trunk floor stamps, VINs and routed to Zuffenhausen for completion.

Does your friend on the #11 916 (Matsuda)

QUOTE(gms @ Jul 4 2016, 01:38 PM) *

I too looked over #0018 in Monterey back in 1998.
Spoke to the owner and at that time, car was in the Bay area and he wanted 25k for it then.
Its another "could have, should have moments "....just like Jerry Seinfeld GT that got away from me... oh well, that's life
raynekat
Maybe not $3mil, but these are true $500k cars now.
Only a handful.
They rarely come up for sale, so the price is the moon.

BTW, a recent 69 Camaro ZL1 sold for just under $500k at an auction.
Not too shabby either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.