Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headgasket failure on all 4 cylinders, improper torque or ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Doing some reading and it seems that not installing the head gaskets are the thing to do when rebuilding a TypeIV.

That being said, could the damage below be one of the reasons for a poor running motor?

I was told that after the motor was rebuilt the PO had nothing but running issues and kept replacing fuel injection components on the Djet trying to hunt down the problem. Finally got fed up and threw a 2.0 from a wrecked car.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
I don't use head gaskets, if those were leaking then yes it can cause issues.
But I've seen much worse.
forrestkhaag
Agree with Mark Henry as does a long time type 4 mechanic here in Costa Mesa: Don't use them and they will not blow.

beerchug.gif
bdstone914
Saw some original factory installed head gaskets and one cylinder sucked in one of them I heard Porsche issued a bulliten to stop using them.
forrestkhaag
good info Bruce / that is what Norm at Mesa West has used for years as his rebuild set-point on head gasket use / dont do it.
beerchug.gif
914Sixer
Shouldn't you lap the barrels into the heads if not gasket is going to be used?
DBCooper
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 3 2016, 05:37 PM) *

Saw some original factory installed head gaskets and one cylinder sucked in one of them I heard Porsche issued a bulliten to stop using them.

It wasn't Porsche, actually, it was a VW bulletin from 1992. Porsche never said not to so the people who insist they're Porsche engines and not VW take that to mean you should use them. You shouldn't. Adjust your deck height and compression with gaskets under the cylinders to make up for what you lose from removing the (compressed) head gaskets. And yes, lap the cylinders into the heads.

stugray
1 - Is everyone sure those are head gaskets? They dont look quite right

2 - Those sharp edges in the comb chambers could easily cause detonation. Detonation for no apparent reason might cause one to retard the timing trying to get it to stop. Retarded timing results in poor performance.

3 - I dont use head gaskets
Mueller
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 3 2016, 06:32 PM) *

1 - Is everyone sure those are head gaskets? They dont look quite right

2 - Those sharp edges in the comb chambers could easily cause detonation. Detonation for no apparent reason might cause one to retard the timing trying to get it to stop. Retarded timing results in poor performance.

3 - I dont use head gaskets

I was able to remove all four, none of them have a round ID, material is squished inward like more tension on the exhaust valve side.

r_towle
So you were able to remove the head gasket?
All clean with no visible damage from leaks?
Mueller
Gaskets came out with just my finger nail.
Click to view attachment
Mueller
Heads have a little damage where the gasket was.
One spot had something under the gasket which left a small divot.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

DBCooper
You said fail, but the gaskets all look intact. That divot is odd, but all in all it doesn't look bad. Or abnormal. When a gasket "fails" the combustion gases will erode a path across the sealing surface of the head. I don't see anything like that, can you feel it, like with your fingernail?

Mueller
I removed something from the divot, grain of sand sized something.

Surface for sure needs to decked, you can feel high and low spots where the gaskets had been.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 4 2016, 09:55 AM) *

Surface for sure needs to decked, you can feel high and low spots where the gaskets had been.

There are always machining lines left around the circumference, but are there any lines radially, across it? That's an actual fail, when the gasses cross where the gasket was, and not just carbon deposits or discoloration, but actual erosion of the metal. Doesn't mean it's not there, but I can't see that in the photos. Minor irregularities will come out when you lap the cylinders into the head.

Mueller
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 4 2016, 10:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 4 2016, 09:55 AM) *

There are always machining lines left around the circumference, but are there any lines radially, across it? That's an actual fail, when the gasses cross where the gasket was, and not just carbon deposits or discoloration, but actual erosion of the metal. Doesn't mean it's not there, but I can't see that in the photos.

I get what you are saying, I guess headgasket "failure" is the wrong terminology here, of course who knows if that would have happened in the near future if ran like that.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.