Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electronic Fuel pump location (pics)...Thanks!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surfdogskier
Hey guys,

I got the right electronic fuel pump for my fuel inject car on Saturday. Mine was the one that had the one zip tied under the car from a previous post. I was told where to put it but can someone provide me a picture of how they have yours mounted with fuel filter as well. I just want to make sure I put it in a safe location and also how it is connected to the relay.

I probably need to change the plugs as well. Any suggestions on what to use and the gap size? Trying to do most everything to get it running this week.

Thanks again for any help.

Jason
napasteve
This is the placement somebody posted (wish I could find the thread where I grabbed this pic so I could assign credit) that I used to guide my placement:

Click to view attachment

Here is mine:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Hey Jason,

For your 72 you'll want to use the position recco'd by the Porsche Service Bulletin from the 1970's (74 or 75-ish IIRC), which is up behind the front steering rack cover & rack underneath the car's front floor/fuel bay pan just to the right of the tunnel opening for the factory fuel lines. Then the pump/lines/filter can be serviced by simply removing the steering rack cover plate.

They were to be mounted to the body belly pan up under there where it turns vertical, with 2 of the same rubber vibration isolation mount & clamp strap as used in the 70-74 factory engine bay position. AutoAtlanta sells a kit with all of the parts for this relocation, & IIRC it has instructions with it, or you can collect all the parts yourself..

I can't tell where this pix above are within or under the red & yellow/green? 914s, but the red looks to be inside the engine bay - perhaps the OE factory position - which will leave the pump & lines still vulnerable to vapor lock, which is what the pump relocation factory SB relocation advisory was meant to resolve.

Also, I would recommend against using those types of screw hose clamps, since they put a pressure point under the screw mechanism where the rubber hose can fail, & our EFI fuel systems are running at something like 40 psi IIRC. You're far better off getting the factory style full circle clips & the special clamping pliers used to close them.

This is a cruddy/dirty pic of the relocated FP done on my 73 2L back in 1978 by my Porsche 914 factory trained mechanic (by then & still an "Indie").

This is a view from the passenger side, with the silver pump to the left of the steering rack acccordian boot, with the rubber fuel lines on this end going to the tank, from the early 70-74 3-port type fuel pump, so the square "box" fuel filter is on the opposite end where the lines go thru the center tunnel access portal & back to the engine. ----V
Click to view attachment

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
surfdogskier
thanks guys for the pics. One of the contributors said to post behind my passenger side firewall but that is where my PCM is located (may or may not be OEM) so that is a no go unless I put it elsewhere. I have no access there. I appreciate the suggestions....
surfdogskier
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 4 2016, 03:22 PM) *

Hey Jason,

For your 72 you'll want to use the position recco'd by the Porsche Service Bulletin from the 1970's (74 or 75-ish IIRC), which is up behind the front steering rack cover & rack underneath the car's front floor/fuel bay pan just to the right of the tunnel opening for the factory fuel lines. Then the pump/lines/filter can be serviced by simply removing the steering rack cover plate.

They were to be mounted to the body belly pan up under there where it turns vertical, with 2 of the same rubber vibration isolation mount & clamp strap as used in the 70-74 factory engine bay position. AutoAtlanta sells a kit with all of the parts for this relocation, & IIRC it has instructions with it, or you can collect all the parts yourself..

I can't tell where this pix above are within or under the red & yellow/green? 914s, but the red looks to be inside the engine bay - perhaps the OE factory position - which will leave the pump & lines still vulnerable to vapor lock, which is what the pump relocation factory SB relocation advisory was meant to resolve.

Also, I would recommend against using those types of screw hose clamps, since they put a pressure point under the screw mechanism where the rubber hose can fail, & our EFI fuel systems are running at something like 40 psi IIRC. You're far better off getting the factory style full circle clips & the special clamping pliers used to close them.

This is a cruddy/dirty pic of the relocated FP done on my 73 2L back in 1978 by my Porsche 914 factory trained mechanic (by then & still an "Indie").

This is a view from the passenger side, with the silver pump to the left of the steering rack acccordian boot, with the rubber fuel lines on this end going to the tank, from the early 70-74 3-port type fuel pump, so the square "box" fuel filter is on the opposite end where the lines go thru the center tunnel access portal & back to the engine. ----V
Click to view attachment

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Mine was the original green before it was painted....Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.