Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john grier
I just drove my 74 2.0 from califorinia last weekend.
The brakes were scary.
My brother said I need to drive it a while to get the brakes set since it had been parked for so long.
Any input?
John
Eric_Shea
I'm too lazy to type it again laugh.gif

Check This Thread Out

You should really go through the system. If they're "scary" I wouldn't listen to your Brother who probably just took out an insurance policy on you biggrin.gif

Bleed the system first then look through the other issues like Master Cylinder, Rubber Lines etc...

Read that thread. Hope that helps.

E.
Mueller
bleed brakes, install new fluid, check brake hoses, replace if you do not know the history of them....then check the calipers and mastercylinder to make sure nothing is leaking.....

the stock 914 brakes work great if in top notch condition....the type of pads have an effect on how well it brakes as well........

you do not need to "upgrade" until you increase power significantly or you find yourself heating up the brakes due to your racing conditions
Eric_Shea
Oh ya, forgot about the "upgrade" part. agree.gif

What Mr. Mike said... There is absolutely "no need" to upgrade if your brakes are working like they should. I guarantee good stock brakes will scare the hell out of anyone who gets in your car (in a good way). beerchug.gif
john grier
Ok brother just drove to the store, he says the brakes are not that bad.
No leaks, may need pads, may be just glazed over.
Also that I need to learn how to brake in a 914.
lapuwali
QUOTE (john grier @ Apr 8 2005, 05:54 PM)

Many people these days have never driven a car w/o a brake servo, and it's somewhat disconcerting at first until you get used to the extra pedal effort required. When this car was new, non-power brakes weren't so unusual. 35 years later, it's hard to find cars that don't have a servo.
Mueller
QUOTE (john grier @ Apr 8 2005, 06:54 PM)

since these car have no power brakes, it might take some time to get used to having to use your leg muscles a little more than usual smile.gif

take some pictures of your new ride and show it off .....
john grier
I have 911 19mm master cylinder on my wrecked 73, that a big pick-up truck ran over. Should I use that?
Mueller
QUOTE (john grier @ Apr 8 2005, 07:02 PM)
I have 911 19mm master cylinder on my wrecked 73, that a big pick-up truck ran over. Should I use that?

you might already have the same size on the new car, this is a common replacement item and most people use the 19mm instead of the 17mm unit....I wouldn't touch it until you know it needs replacing...not a fun job to do....
john grier
Ok, I got it, I need to go out there and get used to driveing a 914 again.
I guess I am lazy but I have been driveing them since the late 70's and have not noticed the difference until this one.
double-a
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 8 2005, 06:05 PM)
...not a fun job to do....

agree.gif

replacing the mc was an hours-long, ugly job that had me cussing and wishing i'd never bought that stupid car. then i remembered the car only cost me 400 clams. biggrin.gif but since the mc was leaking (check your pedal cluster area), it needed to be done.
~a
xitspd
Porsche makes nice replacements for stock 914 brakes. ohmy.gif
tat2dphreak
of all the things I've done on my car so far, changing the MC was the worst... it is the most aggrevating, annoying, PITA job... don't do it if you don't need to...
Eric_Shea
... other than that, did you enjoy it? confused24.gif laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Apr 9 2005, 10:12 AM)
... other than that, did you enjoy it? confused24.gif laugh.gif

I was with my car, so, yea, I guess I did in a sick way! lol2.gif headbang.gif
john grier
Yes I enjoyed driveing it.
Brother drove it again today.
Got a vaper lock.
Is that possibile in a 74? blink.gif
scotty b
QUOTE (john grier @ Apr 8 2005, 06:02 PM)

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Damn, what's wrong with you guys/ Someone usually gets that in before it can be read! cool.gif
CptTripps
I did the ENTIRE brake system in about 2.5hrs. Replaced every inch of every line, the MC, AND the pedal cluster.

What is it everyone else found so hard about it?
grantsfo
QUOTE (john grier @ Apr 9 2005, 06:46 PM)
Yes I enjoyed driveing it.
Brother drove it again today.
Got a vaper lock.
Is that possibile in a 74? blink.gif

Yeah my 74 gets vapor lock in certain situations
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.