Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 2.0L Center Console question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rsjg911
Hi 914 World:
Did the 1974 2.0 L come with the plastic divided tray center console with the dealer optional padded arm rest/3rd seat or did it come with the padded and hinged center console box? My 1970 came with the former and my newly purchased 1974 has the same set up but the owners manual, from 1973 year of production, shows the hinged console. I have a late production 1973 car that has a 1974 VIN.
Thanks,
Rsjg911@aol.com
Tom_T
1st off - you have a 74 MY 914.

Remember that for all makes - the MY production goes from about the July/Aug of the year before the MY, to June/July of the same year as the MY. So 74 MY productioopn ran from Aug 73 thru July 74 -ish.

As for center trays - while the factory had switched to the hinged center console cushion for 73 MY IIRC (maybe 72??), the dealers were still selling the VWoA/VPC made plastic tray with loose pad consoles to buyers who wanted to upgrade.

The only ways to know what yours had from the factory, would be to look at either the original window sticker when new, or to get a COA from PCNA (& hope they do it right! dry.gif ) to see what the original equipment was & any factory options.

The center console tray/hinged cushion could be on either as a individual separate option, as a part of the Appearance Group (of options - as they all had the console/cushion included in the AG, or as a dealer provided option (that could show on a dealer invoice as additional eqpt. (along with radio/speakers, etc.).

Also -back then, if a customer wanted a hinged cushion console on 914 "A" & they had none in stock, but they could steal it from 914 "B" - then replace the latter with the less expensive plastic tray/drop-in cushion into "B" & hope the buyer of it was none the wiser!

They can also go missing over the years on our 914s too from DAPOs!

So your new 914's window sticker, dealer invoice &/or COA could show a hinged cushion, but it got swapped out somewhere over the 4+ decades.

If it shows it, then you're perfectly legit in getting another one in there to match the docs, or just leave it as is - & even if not show but you prefer it, it's okay to do a later period correct upgrade.

Either way, PCA Regions & Zones won't judge originality in their Concours (if the judges even know), & seldom does this item matter at national Parade CdE.

Hope this helps!

PS - from the pix of your 74 above - if restored as original or a survivor - your's looks to be an Appearance + Performance Groups of options car, due to the chrome bumpers with fog/driving lights & black vinyl on the sails - which were all part of the AG options set. The Fuch's 2L Alloys (or optional Mahle 4-lug) & F+R Sway Bars were the Performance Group BTW.

PSS - Looks like a nice find! welcome.png

Happy 4th! flag.gif
Tom
///////
Mark Henry
I absolutely hate the console, I have a wide size 10 and my go-go foot hits the console side. Very uncomfortable to downright dangerous for going to/from the gas and brake.
I have a console, but I've only used it for a very short time before removing it.
Dave_Darling
I believe that the cars with center consoles had the wooden tray with the hinged cover. The ones without the center console had the plastic tray with (possibly) a cushion that simply sat on top or inside the tray.

--DD
Rsjg911
Hello All and thank you for your replies.
My car was produced 10/73, so a MY. I also have a Porsche CoA but the center console/arm rest is not listed as an option. BTW, my car does not have a radio and the front fender was never drilled for an antenna. It is a 47,xxx survivor with original paint except for passenger front quarter panel which was scratched and resprayed. I do have the AG but don't think I had the Performance Option because the car doesn't have F/R sway bars and none were listed on the CoA.

On a second note, the speedo and tach in my Owner's Handbook differ slightly from what is in the car. This is mostly limited to the VDO label placement and indicator bulb placements. Is this also answerable with the MY explanation? Should I post this as a separate quiry?
Thanks again, all and Keep 'em On The Road!
Ron
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Rsjg911 @ Jul 5 2016, 02:29 PM) *

Hello All and thank you for your replies.
My car was produced 10/73, so a MY. I also have a Porsche CoA but the center console/arm rest is not listed as an option. BTW, my car does not have a radio and the front fender was never drilled for an antenna. It is a 47,xxx survivor with original paint except for passenger front quarter panel which was scratched and resprayed. I do have the AG but don't think I had the Performance Option because the car doesn't have F/R sway bars and none were listed on the CoA.

On a second note, the speedo and tach in my Owner's Handbook differ slightly from what is in the car. This is mostly limited to the VDO label placement and indicator bulb placements. Is this also answerable with the MY explanation? Should I post this as a separate quiry?
Thanks again, all and Keep 'em On The Road!
Ron

As far as the odd speedo and tach goes VW is famous for using up last years stock on this years model , or the opposite running out of stock and using the next years model parts.
The other explanation is a PO swapped them out.

Radios were a dealer installed item and the dealer would drill and install the antenna.
The original owner didn't buy a radio.
Rsjg911
Thanks Mark!
Just thought of another "oddity." My steering wheel is not covered in leather. Should it have been if I got the AG? So many unusual combos on this car and the COA was of very little help other than confirming the body/engine numbers and other obvious options.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.