Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A tale of two air splitters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
I am almost ready to lower the red 3.2 off the stands. New rubber on the wheels. I like the look of the LE front air dam, so I bought one. Mikey/Mark was listing them as unavailable, so I bought one from a fairly well known vendor, but not one we either love or hate. The result was...short
Click to view attachment

It fits completely inside my old beat-up one. Making a fitment problem - it is actually inside the pinch weld!
Click to view attachment

By then it was available from 914-Rubber, so I bought one from them. I have a few criticisms below, but the take home message is this: It fit out of the box and I had it prepped for painting in 5 minutes cause the finish was great. What a difference! The vendor for the first one would give me my money back, but I had to then turn the thing loose for recirculation - schlepped to someone else. Too much hassle, but that is why they remain anonymous.

As for the 914 rubber product, it is a bit light, so I am sure to tear it off. But that is expected and then it will get reinforcement. I would have liked the fastener clips to come along with it, if you have an eye to improvement Mark. I had to paw around in the bins to find the clips and screws to mount it. Ohh, how I suffered.
On the other hand I would have literally had to cut the other one in half, feather the ends and reglass and sand to make it fit. By then the light wight would no longer be a problem, but fer heaven's sake!
db9146
I spent $145 on an LE spoiler from a vendor near me and guess what, we must have bought from the same place. Way too short and no way to make it fit.

worn
QUOTE(db9146 @ Jul 5 2016, 09:14 AM) *

I spent $145 on an LE spoiler from a vendor near me and guess what, we must have bought from the same place. Way too short and no way to make it fit.

They would not reveal the source of the product. It was drop shipped but the shipper used the vendor's return address - clever.
JeffBowlsby
Hey Worn...

You are probably aware that your original spoiler, the orange one above...is an original LE spoiler. Its worth more than its weight in gold. Keep it, it can be repaired.

914rubber makes the best repro of this spoiler I have seen. Ask them to close the ends and fab it in white to be as close to the original as possible. Agreed, if it were laid up thicker and the mounting clips were provided it would be an improvement. Providing the two front sheet metal support brackets and hardware would make it....an incredible piece, and there would be no reason to buy any of the competing products, for those that care about quality.
Mikey914
I can even ship pre painted in yellow and orange. We were able to match the both for existing cars. The yellow was actually from a LE spare tire that had not seen the light of day, so we know it was spot on.
sfrenck
Sucks to figure out that I have the same POS piece headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

At least this tread pointed me to 914rubber - new one on it's way for my 916 to chrome front bumper conversion.
worn
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 5 2016, 11:37 AM) *

Hey Worn...

You are probably aware that your original spoiler, the orange one above...is an original LE spoiler. Its worth more than its weight in gold. Keep it, it can be repaired.

914rubber makes the best repro of this spoiler I have seen. Ask them to close the ends and fab it in white to be as close to the original as possible. Agreed, if it were laid up thicker and the mounting clips were provided it would be an improvement. Providing the two front sheet metal support brackets and hardware would make it....an incredible piece, and there would be no reason to buy any of the competing products, for those that care about quality.

I love the original. I am afraid you may not want to know this, but I have repaired it twice. It now sports aluminum mounting brackets glassed it to a balsa wood reinforcement along the top edge. The back looks ragged, but the front is restored proper. I had it off for a quick repair before Rt 66. Of course it is not a real Creamsicle, but it looks like one from a distance. Wish it were. The 914Rubber splitter is going onto the 3.2 conversion. And it turned out fine. I painted the rockers with a dark grey used for the Mustang II.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.